• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So One Day It Stoped!

R65LS

I was sitting traffic the other day and the bike just quit. I tried to work on it for about four hours, and then pushed it home a mile and a half. So far I have changed plugs, new battery, and a carb rebuild. Nothing doing. I removed the tank last night as well as the cover for the crankcase ventillation system ans the front cover where I believe the generator is. I saw no damage. The bike wants to start but will not ignite. There is a hole to see the engine capped with a rubber plug. When I try to start it and look in the hole, the engine is moving. I am lost. Anybody here know?

R65LS

Odds are if it was running just fine when it quit that you have adequate compression. That leaves only fuel and spark to investigate...

Is there gasoline in the tank? Did you try switching the petcocks to the reserve position?

Does it make a spark at the spark plug during cranking?

It Works

Well what happened was that when I checked for spark it was there, but very weak. THe ignition coil was going out but hadn't failed yet. So I rebuilt the carbs, did some troubleshooting with the wiring system and so on. One day I decided to pull the coil. Well, low and behold it was cracked to hell. So I replaced it and one of the computer pieces under the tank, as well as tune the carbs and bam! There you have it, ny only mode of transportaion is up and running.

R65LS

Computer??

Interesting ! I dont know of any computers on any of the R-65s or 65LSs. Have had both. From the way you described your problem I would sugest that you join the AIRHEADs club and then participate in some of their Tech sessions. Also attend the Airhead tech session at the MOA Nat'l in Charleston. It helps when you can describe what you see so that others know what you mean. Was it the Diode Board that you replaced, or the Ingnition Can?
Ride Well, Ride Safe
Bones

Last edited:
So one day it stoped

Having experieced the same problem in early July I don't think it stopped but rather it was it mad at me.

As I was coming back from a Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Rally my bike decided that it would not start. As it is an 86 R80RT I think that is was miffed to be considered vintage.

As the "ignition coil" is quite expensive in Canada I've had to order it from the US. Thank goodness that your parts are less expensive.

Still waiting for the part but hope to get on the road soon.

Jean
A fiscally challenged BMW rider who means well...

Yes it did have gas. Fresh premium from Esso actually as it happened at the gas station. The petcocks were turned off prior to filling the tank and turned on afterwards. I checked and changed the sparkplugs to no avail.

Had the bike towed home and then to the dealership. Had to wait ten days for the dealership to even look at my bike. It was them who discovered that it was indeed the ignition coil.

Having read the latest issue of the Owner's News I guess a thorough checkup of the electrical system will be in order this winter.

As I mentioned in my earlier post the prices quoted from BMW Canada are quite high and therefore must use American companies for my parts needs.

Hope to be on the road soon.

Jean

So one day it stopped

Hello all,

Thanks to the efforts of the staff at Motor Sports World in Ottawa I'm FINALLY back on the road.

As my bike took up residence at their dealership for the better part of the summer I was informed that quite a few people were inquiring if it was for sale.

Although I was flattered by this I came to realise that after fifteen years of being together relationships are not for sale.

Strange I guess

Back