Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Evening/Night Commuters?

"...Down to the wire..." grafikfeat's Avatar
    Highway 2 from Monroe to Gold Bar in Washington State sucks at night.
    The range of light 'temperature' between vehicles is amazing... Some are clearly not street legal.
    Not to mention 'brightness' or alignment.
    I'm an advocate of vehicle safety inspections.
    A 25 point check list that if you fail any no new registration. At a minimum the guys headlights are pointing at the road and not the trees...
    And you can also rest assured at the next light as he's stopping his brakes work.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

User
    I commute to work every day on my K1200rs and since I leave for work at, or before 3AM, I get to deal with headlights behind me every day. I have found that having really clean mirrors reduces the amount of glare tremendously.
    Berry Griffin
    Modesto CA

Aging Cafe` Racer
    I worked nights for 20 years and even now leave at 0500. If someone's behind me with brights I just either speed up and lose them or move over a let them by. The pantyhose idea is clever though, I'll have to try it. If I'm in the Exploder I use the power mirrors and try to aim the light back at them. You can tell when you hit the mark because they drop way back.....it's kinda' fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    Solution? Put yerself a 80/130 watt bulb in yer headlight, wait until they get around ya, and... well, probably not the best solution unless ya wanna go to war... Other than that, it's the nature of the beast
    Yea I did that years ago. All my friends were impressed with the amount of light I put out. After a while the wiring harness to my headlight had a catastrophic meltdown. Lesson learned...If you are going to run high power bulbs, make sure you have heavy enough wire...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

"...Down to the wire..." grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    ?

When you stop at a light at night and there is a Ford F350 headlight filling your mirrors and illuminating your face what do you do?
    Lean forward/backward to get the lights out of your eyes?
    Deflect the mirror?
    Squint?

That was the gist of my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevent View Post
    I worked nights for 20 years and even now leave at 0500. If someone's behind me with brights I just either speed up and lose them or move over a let them by. The pantyhose idea is clever though, I'll have to try it. If I'm in the Exploder I use the power mirrors and try to aim the light back at them. You can tell when you hit the mark because they drop way back.....it's kinda' fun...
    Again. One Lane each way. Highway 2 (US 2) is a Death Road. One person 12 cars up is doing 50. There are 12 cars behind you. There is a steady stream the other direction. Guy behind you has: A. Maladjusted headlights. B. ORV Bulbs pointing into your mirrors. C. 4 headlights on you. D. All of the above.
    It's not the glare. It's the hair burning off the back of my head by headlights.
    I usually push my mirrors out.
    What I'm seriously considering is mounting 110v lamps pointing Aft.

"Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."