• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best time to visit TX Hill Country

tntimbo

I am working out details for a TX Hill Country visit.

I am thinking about a week long visit to the area, staying in Kerrville, and doing 200-300 mile loop rides, trying to see as much of the area as I can. I have heard the wildflowers are colorful in the Spring. I enjoy photography.

When would be the best week/month to visit?

In a previous life, I was a private pilot, and owned a couple Mooney aircraft, so I plan to visit the factory where they are built in Kerrville. Thus the reason for selecting Kerrville for my "base of operations". Probably be camping most of the time.

Any other "must see" things to put on my list?
T

Now!! Weather is great and will be for the next month or so. Lost Maples State Park will have significant color changes within the next couple of weeks.

Here was a previous thread on someone esle heading this direction:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=48649

Wildflowers are usually March/April but can be variable depending on the amount of rainfall in the winter. Even then, the best place to see the spread of color is actually south of San Antonio, Hwy 16.

...owned a couple of Mooney aircraft...BeemerTim

:thumb

My 201, also in a previous life:

560271700_T5wgQ-M.jpg

Last edited:
... I have heard the wildflowers are colorful in the Spring. I enjoy photography.

When would be the best week/month to visit? ...

I was in hill country this year. Flew down 4/7 and spent four days photographing the wildflowers. They were incredible! Saw lots of great riding roads and beautiful scenery. :thumb

:thumb

My 201, also in a previous life:

560271700_T5wgQ-M.jpg

I had a 1968 Statesman that was my all time favorite (manual gear), and a 78) model 201. The 201 was a great performer, but maintenance was 3x the Statesman.

Cust service mgr from Mooney said he will show me around the plant. Be pretty cool if I could somehow get a demo ride in a new one, but doubt that will happen because I am NOT a potential customer. My flying days are over.
T

The factory tour is excellent.

Maintenance on our 201 wasn't too bad, mostly avionics stuff, being mainly the panel mount DME. The multi tubular space frame is so stiff that the electrical grounds can back off, from engine vibration. We finally ended up quadruple grounding the whole instrument panel.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I've been to Hill Country many times and for some reason the third week of April always seems to be the best - perfect temps and no rain. When in HC take some time to get off your bike and visit the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, you won't regret it!

Here is a fantastic ride report & photo tour of Texas by Jim Klas...aka BeerTeam last year

lot's of info and ideas for journeys around the Hill Country and beyond...he parked his bike with us for a bit and ventured down from Wisconsin to travel during wintertime around the Lone Star State. He's gone to places that are still on my list...and I live here:thumb

Sit back and enjoy.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32967

If you're an aviation buff, be sure and check out The Hanger Hotel at the Fredericksburg airport which is only about 15-20 minutes north of Kerrville.
It's a fly in hotel plus this airport gets a lot of vintage planes especially on the weekends.

Some more things to do...

Harvest Classic is in the fall. A great showing of European and antique bikes.

Wildflowers start around the first of April.

Make it to Leaky (pronounced LAY-KEY) for Mama Chole's Tex-Mex.

Back