• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wool or Polartec?

burnszilla

I've been experimenting with different layers under my Roadcrafter suit while riding on cold days. I wear my Widder electric vest over long sleeve thermal underwear and a t-shirt. Over my vest I've been switching between a Polartec 200 jacket and a shetland wool sweater.
The coldest spots on my body are the biceps, where the wind is hitting me the most. I'm still kind of undecided, but I think the wool feels warmer.

Comments or experiences welcomed.

If your T-shirt is cotton, it can feel colder as it will retain moisture longer than polartec would. Cotton is great as long as you don't get it wet, as in persperation, it will cool your body temp quick when you factor in wind. The artificial materials will wick away moisture faster from your body keeping temps better regulated.
I think cotton, wool and polartec fleece, are very good but you may want to add a windbreaker of some kind to your outfit as neither your polartec jacket or sweater are able to do so.
I like the polartec undies myself for ease of packing, washing/drying but alway have a windbreaker of sorts over all the layers when it gets colder.

Warm

If you want to stay warm, and who doesn't, then you need to do two things.
#1 NO COTTON. #2 Keep the wind off of you. I've found that the greatest thing since sliced bread, which doesn't do much to keep you warm, but sure is tasty, is Gore "Wind Stopper" fleece. Go to your local outdoors store and check some out.

RW

burnszilla - the wool may indeed may be more effective than polartec 200. they make it in different weights, 100, 200, and i think 300. maybe even higher, im not too hEp to heavy winter clothing.

does your jacket have vents on the arms that might be leaking? ive got a first gear kilimanjaro, and when it is chilly, i have to make sure that i properly zipped and double velcroed the vents shut.

My fleece jacket is a windstopper fleece from www.beyondfleece.com. You give them your measurements and they make a custom jacket for you.
I also forgot to say that I also wear an Arcteryx windbreaker jacket over the fleece or wool sweater.

Thanks for all the advice.

you need to get the vest closer to you in order to get the most benefit.

Put on the lightest item ( in this case your t shirt), then the vest, then the thermal. Otherwise, the best of the heat isn't getting to you.

I guess I don't get all that cold because I use a Widder vest and have to put it on a setting of 2 or 3 at most. On the GS I don't have the wind protection and I use 3 but on the LT I have to use 2 and sometimes 1. (settings are 1-10 with 10 being warmest) This is riding in 25 degree temps or there abouts.
I wear a t-shirt, flannel shirt and the vest under a TourMaster CoreTech jacket with liner.

:)

Sounds like you need an electric jacket to me. I had the same problem and then switched to a Gerbings.

also, if youve got an REI near you, check out the non-cotton tshirts they have. better thermal properties both wet and dry, and they look and fit like tshirts.

one of the problems i've run into is i may sweat for a while, then get cold. having clothing that wicks and allows water to find it's way out rapidly is good in this respect. too many layers can prevent this, which is why cutting out a layer or two and adding electrics seems like a really good idea to me. currently im nonelectric. so when i bundle up for a cold ride, the minute im off the bike and out of the wind, i start to heat up and sweat. if im not wearing the proper layer next to my skin, im uncomfortable.

The sheepshagger says

I like wool alot. As i type this I am wearing a wool sweater That has a wind stopper lining. Best of both worlds. Loose the vest and get a gerbings jacket.

the urge to comment on sheepshaggers affinity for wool is very strong. must....control....juvenile.....humor!

:D

The shagger knows

Sheep that is.

And enough to fill an encyclopedia on this topic.

Recycled fiber anyone?

Best,

RPB

I like Polartec better cause when it gets wet it still has insulative properties and it is lighter. :thumb

Plus when ever I think of wool, I think of Sheepshagger and well...... ;)

I love wool sweaters (my wife is a Newfoundlander, and I have some great double knit sweaters from "the Rock"), but for biking my personal preference is the synthetics, which I find do a very good job and are very practical: they wick, wash, dry, and pack well.

The only exception for me are my socks. I use a two sock system with the first layer a synthetic wicking sock, the second a merino wool blend. I use this in both hot and cold extremes.

i'm with brad. i can see showing up someplace in a nice wool sweater. sheepshagger comes along, i've got to keep an eye on him, and i cant relax.

im sure he is a nice fellow, but i can see him getting me back to his room, and out come the clippers and after i'm shorn, he tosses me out and doesn't respect me in the morning. i'd be devastated. and cold.

polartec please. ;)

Wool or Polartec ?

In winter I go with :
Polypro turtleneck,
long sleeve cotton T,
Gerbings Liner,
Cortec lite jacket w/ liner .
Helmet liner,
Heated Gerbing socks,
HT overpants,
Heated Gerbing gloves
heated grips
heated seat....

all good for 'bout 30?? F

:stick All this talk about wool vs. fleece is making me feel "funny" I think I'll down a bottle o woolite n cuddle up w/the wife under a fleece binky..ttfn

Back