• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hospitality committee needs your input

Ol'Salt said:
For planning purposes what length of "day rides" do you prefer?

If I were from fur aweigh, I'd like to look at half day and full day rides, and be back before dark in most cases. Just as an example, I had MS S&T make the following map. The blue boundaries are what S&T thinks are 2, 3, and 4 hour rides one way from Lima. (One hour gets you pretty much nowhere - not even to Dayton - to the Air Force Museum).

Two hours will get you to Pickerington (AMA Museum - highly recommended) and the western edge of Amish country (ultra scenic - nice roads).

Four hours will get you to Hocking Hills for some of the best riding roads in four states. Three hours will get you to Dearborn for the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, but I'd recomment an overnight there if you want to spend any time either place.

Three hours will get you to Shaw Towers, if you can think of some reason why. A little over two hours to Shaw Flats - same qualification.

Attachments

• LIMA DRIVE TIME MAP copy.gif
    LIMA DRIVE TIME MAP copy.gif
    109.8 KB · Views: 178
Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Nope --- Old Salt had it right. We are working with a professional who will take a souvie picture of you and your bike in front of Beemerville.....

Please clarify for us then. If someone wants to ask a friend to take their souvie picture instead of the professional will they be allowed or must they use the professional?

Doug

Professional Photographer

tnk12lt said:
If someone wants to ask a friend to take their souvie picture instead of the professional will they be allowed or must they use the professional?

Sure your friends can take your picture. But probably not where the pro is going to be doing his work.... There will be lots of potential photo opportunities. It's all good. I'll see about having a second location that will work for folks who want to do their own camera work.

This is going to be a heckuva party!

Sue wrote:
I'll see about having a second location that will work for folks who want to do their own camera work.

Wonderful!!!

It's going to be one heck of a party ; )

Voni
smiling :clap

The banner should be made with Beemerville only, and of good qualit that would last for (say 5 years). A second banner cuold be made then with the rally LOGO and Location on it, for each rally.

The people who would like a pro to take their picture could have hours from say 11 am to 2 pm. then the rest could have the rest of the day.
It should be set up with the banner facing south, I think this would give the best lighting for most picture during the day. :brow

Newbie Help

You might already have this covered somehow. However, for us Newbie's it would be helpful to have some type of brochure or poster giving us tips and advice on getting the most out of the rally. We are new BMW riders and new MOA members and this is our first rally of any kind. Quite frankly, we are extremely excited about coming, but it's a little overwhelming, and tips and advice from veterans would be welcome and very helpful.

Thanks! ;)

Newbie gathering

Or how about a newbie "icebreaker" or something similar?? Since this will be my first National something like that would be appreciated.

JC

Joecubana said:
Or how about a newbie "icebreaker" or something similar?? Since this will be my first National something like that would be appreciated.

JC
Great Idea!! Sue, you looking at this and the post before?
How about helping these people out some of you ol'vets!

Joecubana said:

JC

I like your idea, JC, of an "icebreaker." I know me and my husband (STRESS) would love that. :clap

We are really looking forward to meeting fellow BMW enthusiasts, especially those with more experience than we have (which isn't hard to do) who are willing to share their knowledge.

Ice-Breakers

Without a doubt, the best and fastest way for you to meet some new folks and REALLY feel like you are part of the family is to volunteer.

Do it early, so you can meet new folks right away, and then do another shift later in the week, somewhere else, to meet another whole different group. Before you know it, you will have new friends who might live a thousand miles away from you.

These BMW rallies are like family-reunions ... on STEROIDS. ;) The more places you volunteer, the more people you will get to know, and the more fun you will have.

I Promise. :thumb

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Without a doubt, the best and fastest way for you to meet some new folks and REALLY feel like you are part of the family is to volunteer.

Do it early, so you can meet new folks right away, and then do another shift later in the week, somewhere else, to meet another whole different group. Before you know it, you will have new friends who might live a thousand miles away from you.

These BMW rallies are like family-reunions ... on STEROIDS. ;) The more places you volunteer, the more people you will get to know, and the more fun you will have.

I Promise. :thumb

Thanks, Sue. Already did that. Got that suggestion from another thread and thought it was a great one, so me and hubby threw our hat in as soon as we confirmed we are able to make it to the rally. Looking forward to it.

Any other Newbie help/advice is always appreciated!

Joecubana said:
JC
Hey mods - is there going to be another Forum Frenzy?

At the 04 National all of us Forum Folks met at the beer tent at an appointed time and it was fun to meet people face to face.

'cept maybe gambrinus. He's beer-crazy. And knary - he's tequila-crazy. ;) :wave I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.

boxergrrlie said:
Hey mods - is there going to be another Forum Frenzy?

At the 04 National all of us Forum Folks met at the beer tent at an appointed time and it was fun to meet people face to face.

'cept maybe gambrinus. He's beer-crazy. And knary - he's tequila-crazy. ;) :wave I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.

Hmmmmm. That could be good fun :thumb

must remember to not hold bourbon during incriminating pictures.... I wasn't drunk I have lazy eye :thumb

True story, last year at AMA - Belive it or not I parked the bike next to 50 other BMW's walked over to the person(s) directing traffic and asked where the BMW tent was. They did not know and said it should be on the infield somewhere. Keep in mind BMW was hosting the thing last year and the tent was freak'en huge with an emblem the size of my car on it. We wlaked around the swap meet for an hour before I figured out where the infield was.

The most important thing to me is to have knowledgable friendly people that know what is going on and how to get there. Keep in mind hospitality, for me at least, means if I have a question or a problem, they know where it is and what I should do.
A map would be good and a list of the events and times.

As for specifics - we like the daily rides but if you don't want us to ride with you give us a map. Went on a club ride last year the destination was a cliff site about 75 miles from the rally. The guide(s) stayed 10 minutes - hopped on their bike and rode off. Thank God we had some idea of direction. I am sure someone is still sitting there wandering were the guide went.

And finally - two things you must have. Shirt sizes other than large and xx large. My wife takes a small and will buy one if you have one. And second I need a coffee mug - plastic prefered - with a hole drilled in the handle so I can clip it on what ever is handy.

Thanks
Gmac :thumb

Shoe shine

I bet a local independent business person in the shoe shine trade would do a land office business at the ralley. A hard working shoe shine would make some good coin and earn every penny. (my guy worked 40 minutes on my boots for $20). I think this would be a good way to spread the wealth and provide a service that is needed. Regarding west of the rockies members, I promised my boy (22 yrs, living in Philadelphia) that I would give him the silver bike and ride out east with him. We have the trip timed to coincide with the Lima ralley and we are much looking forward to it. I don't know if we are sufficiently beer crazy to represent the region, but we will give it a shot (pun intended). :clap

boxergrrlie said:
I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.

Don't worry, some of us westerners will be ridin' back to see the other side of the big muddy... Looking forward to a great Beemerville bash, too!

Chris :groovy

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Nope --- Old Salt had it right. We are working with a professional who will take a souvie picture of you and your bike in front of Beemerville.....

And put the detailer next to it.
Get the bike clean before the picture, or do the before and after.

Teens

Is there going to be a "Teen Club" as there was at Spokane? This year I ask, I am bringing my 15 y/o daughter. :stick

Back