• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Warm, Winter Over Pants?

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
With winter coming it's time for me to upgrade my riding pants. Here's a few things I'm thinking.
1. I would like "over pants" so that when I get to my destination a quick "zip/snap" gets my out of my gear.
2. They must be warm, maybe not vented, rain/snow resistant.
3. I must be able to order them in "long", for I am tall and wind up the ankles I don't need.
Anybody have a suggestion based on personal product testing?

Until we got our Aerostich suits, for cold weather riding we wore FieldSheer overpants. Can't remember what the model name was, but they had a water-resistant lining and a removable quilted insulating layer.

They worked quite well, they were fairly inexpensive and fit nice. The spouse killed his when he hit a coyote one dark and rainy night. He slid about 50' down the asphalt (starting) at 60 mph. Pants were toast, the right butt cheek portion was ground away and there was damage to the left leg as well, but if he hadn't been wearing them, he would not have walked away from the crash.

I think this must be the 'newer' version of the pant:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/22272/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Mercury-2-0-Pants.aspx

Its a question of budget....

For about $50.00 a snow mobile suit will do.
For about $150.00 First Gear sells a Thermosuit, which adds waterproofness.
For about $180.00 you can get a First Gear overpants, which are waterproof and have some protection (knee) and a removeable thermo liner.
From there the sky is the limit.... Aerostich, Motoport, BMW, to name a few all can run up to over $1000 for pants and jacket...

First Gear Over Pants

With winter coming it's time for me to upgrade my riding pants. Here's a few things I'm thinking.
1. I would like "over pants" so that when I get to my destination a quick "zip/snap" gets my out of my gear.
2. They must be warm, maybe not vented, rain/snow resistant.
3. I must be able to order them in "long", for I am tall and wind up the ankles I don't need.
Anybody have a suggestion based on personal product testing?

First Gear Over Pants will fit your need perfectly. They come in "tall" lenghts. Order them by your actual size as they are sized to wear over your regular cloths. I've used these for 5 years now. They are a great product. Check them out at:
http://www.newenough.com/street/pan...ear/2011_ht_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

Another vote for the First Gear HT overpants. Good sturdy 100% waterproof shell, removable insulated liner, knee and hip armour. Ankle to hip zips so easy on-off as well.

They are a staple for my spring and fall commute to work.

I love my FirstGear over pants as well... When i get to work i zip them off.... and go about my business...

I have the Firstgear Escape pants. they have an insulated liner in a waterproof/breathable shell.

Honestly, I haven't used them with the liner, just the outer part, and they've been plenty warm thus far for me.

They come in long, I'm 6'5" and can't complain about the fit.

They easily go over my work pants (wool dress pants typically, I'm in an office setting, meeting with clients, shirt and tie stuff).

They don't zip all the way up the side, like the true overpants, but they way they fasten they easily come off. You adjust the sides once, and the fly unbuttons to let you out without fiddling with the adjustments on the side. The zip comes up to the knee. I don't wear my boots at the office, so I just take them off first. The pants can come off with the boots on, but it just doesn't make sense to do for me.

You should consider that by upsizing you can turn many pants into overpants. I wear pants with suspenders as they are large enough to allow them to be worn over more than I always wear. Also consider that layering is desirable to meet a variety of conditions and many pants have several layers, others don't.

Back