• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Women Charter Club riders

womanridge

I'm still relatively new to the MOA and Charter Club scene, having only been on Beemers for less than 4 years, but in that time, I've noticed an increase in women who ride in our local club. When I counted among members, partners and S.O.'s I realized we have 26 women that ride their own bike. That's about 14% of our club.
Has anyone else noticed, over the past few years, an increase of women who ride in your local club?:nod

Not here. I think we have 4 and of the four, only 1-2 (including myself) are active.

Wish we had more.

Haven't noticed it here in our club. But, there does seem to be a lot more women that are Harley riders. At rest stops and such they just seem to look at me out of the corner of the eye. Very few are freindly. I wish I could find some other women to ride with. Especially now that Doug's turned his attention to hunting! Oh well, the season's about over any way.

Harley put an effort into ad campaigns towards women riders. They sponsor a number of women's functions throughout the year.
Might be something BMW NA should consider, or, are they doing it already and I just don't notice?
Our local charter club tries to have a "Womens Ride" every year. That brings out some that we don't see at other club rides.

I was out riding with my Harley girlfriend today. Both husbands are away and we had the rare opportunity to explore all the little shops in towns that we never get to stop in when they are with us. Anyway, she had on a pink HD jacket. At least a dozen people spoke to her, and not one spoke to me! It sort of became a joke.

Perhaps they just didn't see me standing there in my high viz yellow. :D

Kind of off topic here but the guy my husband bought his beemer from had a Harley and said he preferred it over the beemer. When hubby was test riding the beemer the guy says to me, "why does he like BMWs, is he German?" :brow Our last name is Van Allen...could it get any more Dutch!!?? LOL...Oh well....to each his own.

Our club has a handful of women riders. I just started a new charter of the Women in The Wind club. It started in Ohio and there are lots of chapters in the East. Sometimes it's fun to just get out with the girls. :bikes

I can't account for any statistics in my own club. I joined about a year ago, and without counting, I'd guess there's 6 in our group. One of the ladies has been riding since she was a kid. I belonged to a HOG group a couple years back that had between 6 and 8 women riders, most of whom were older, but who had also been riding comparatively a long time, like 10 years plus. What I notice here in New England, is a lot of female sport bike riders. But there's undoubtedly an increase overall in the number of women riders. Google searches yield a few websites. Here's one - I've never looked at it, so not sure of its veracity.

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?lid=1110

There's also an annual women's motorcycling conference that was held in Colorado last year. I think that is sponsored by HD, though I'm not sure if their sponsorship is permanent or if it changes yearly. If permanent, it's a great marketing move!

http://www.womenandmotorcycling.com/

Shiny Side up Ladies . . . :thumb :wave

Last edited:
Harley put an effort into ad campaigns towards women riders. They sponsor a number of women's functions throughout the year.
Might be something BMW NA should consider, or, are they doing it already and I just don't notice?
Our local charter club tries to have a "Womens Ride" every year. That brings out some that we don't see at other club rides.

Karen,
I think it would be a great idea for BMW MOA to have something at the annual national meeting, like a "Lady Riders' Breakfast" or "Meet N Greet" or something, as a way for women riders to meet other women riders and develop new networks of riding friends, even if geographic location means you might only get together with your new friends once in a while. On the other hand, in terms of riding the bike itself, I'm not sure there's any real need to distinguish between female and male riders b/c riding is all skills that both men and women need to advance their riding skills. I like the idea of a Meet-n-Greet, or some sort of women's segment at the national. Just throwing out some ideas.:type

2009 R1200RT, fondly known as "Bullet."
2006 HD Heritage Softail, fondly known as "Beauregard"
2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800a (sold in 2005)

The closest to that Meet and Greet that we have now is the Women Who Ride seminar on Saturday morning. Great friendships have started there over the years. I haven't missed one in years! Even the year I was riding 500 sMile a day I made attending that seminar a priority.

Maybe we could tack a Meet and Greet on the end of it? We did try it one year as a separate event with just a small turnout but maybe it's time to try again. I do know the per cent of women who ride to the National has increased over the years. But I too feel like we have a lot more in common with the group "rider" than just the group "women". Still, there's nothing like the hugs of a fellow rider!

The biggest encouragement to me has been the women of Camp G.E.A.R.S., ages 16 to 26. What amazing young women have attended that over the years and continue to stay in touch and RIDE despite having busy full lives!

Voni
sMiling

I was hoping you would jump in ,Voni.
Yes, The Saturday morning seminar has been inspiring to many. Each year, Voni invites women to share their experiences and stories. And I like the idea of the meet and greet. Lets keep the idea alive and toss it around over the winter. (No, I haven't parked my RT for the winter yet)

Like so many, I participate in numerous club rides each year. All but the one I mentioned earlier are coed or should I say, open to all club members and friends.
I remember the last club ride We had. We had 24 bikes, the largeest ride I've ever participated in. The first 3 in formation were club women and there were 3 that rode 2-up. A great group and lots of fun.
:dance

I was hoping you would jump in ,Voni.
Yes, The Saturday morning seminar has been inspiring to many. Each year, Voni invites women to share their experiences and stories. And I like the idea of the meet and greet. Lets keep the idea alive and toss it around over the winter. (No, I haven't parked my RT for the winter yet)

Sunday morning seminar sounds good, especially the shared experiences and stories. Anyone ever thought of inviting a well-known woman rider as a keynote guest speaker? Seems like there's some good candidates out there. I hope to make this coming year's annual MOA meeting my first. It usually falls right on the only time I have off, which is when I take my annual Wild West motorcycle ride. Fingers crossed. :)

Joyce :bikes

Sunday morning most everyone has leaving on their minds.

This year we had FIVE guest speakers and then lots of audience participation. We pack a lot of comraderie in that hour and a half. I do hope you can come and join in the fun!

Voni
sMiling

Last edited:
Joyce, Voni led a wonderful panel of amazing women at this year's rally. Like Voni, I have attended the Women Who Ride seminar every year for the past five years and I learn something every time. The women are truly inspiring. This year was the first time I rode to the rally alone and I was welcomed by friends, new and old. Hope you can make it next year!

I am having trouble finding riders to hang out with. I own an F800 ST. I purchased it in October...of last year. I don't seem to have a local BMW chapter, that I can find anyway. Any advise?

I am having trouble finding riders to hang out with. I own an F800 ST. I purchased it in October...of last year. I don't seem to have a local BMW chapter, that I can find anyway. Any advise?

Yes, my advice is to click the link in my sig line. :wave

The closest to that Meet and Greet that we have now is the Women Who Ride seminar on Saturday morning. Great friendships have started there over the years. I haven't missed one in years! Even the year I was riding 500 sMile a day I made attending that seminar a priority.

Maybe we could tack a Meet and Greet on the end of it? We did try it one year as a separate event with just a small turnout but maybe it's time to try again. I do know the per cent of women who ride to the National has increased over the years. But I too feel like we have a lot more in common with the group "rider" than just the group "women". Still, there's nothing like the hugs of a fellow rider!

Hmmmm ... mmm ... mmm

Thinking, thinking ... could we do a donuts and coffee meet and greet BEFORE the Women who Ride seminar? Talk to Deb Lower - - she is doing seminars this year. Funding could be the only thing stopping this idea, but if we put our heads together, I think it's feasible.

2011 Womens Meet and Greet

Hi,

I don't post often on the forum, but I wanted to let you know that we are going to have a Meet and Greet in Bloomsburg on Saturday. We are going to start with Skert's Pick-up the Bike Demonstration followed by The Women Who Ride Panel that Voni is organizing and then have our Meet and Greet. I'm still working on the location for the seminars and the Meet and Greet.

I would also appreciate any ideas you have for additional seminars/tech sessions.

Bloomsburg is going to be a great rallly!

Deb Lower
2011 Seminar Chair

Yes, my advice is to click the link in my sig line. :wave

Okay. Just for the heck of it, I tried the club finder thingy. And my club: BMW Bikers of Metro Washington only shows up if I use "Washington" as a search option. When I tried "Maryland" I got nothing, and "Virginia" resulted in the club of West Virginia.

I'd venture a guess that only about 20% or less of our membership is from Washington DC proper. The majority of members are from Northern Virginia, and Maryland. Heck, our annual rally is held in Thurmont, MD, and we hold some of our monthly meetings at Morton's in Fredericksburg, VA, Battley's in Gaithersburg, MD, and Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD

Something needs to be adjusted in that club search finder.

P

Back