• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

English visitor needs help in Memphis, TN

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
Andrew Lord, a visitor from England, has a blown engine on his F650 and needs help in Memphis, TN. If you can give assistance, it would be much appreciated.

Let me know and I'll get your contact information to him.

or email him at:
andrewlord@live.com

Voni
sMiling

He needs to find a 2005 F650 GS Twinspark motor.
Can you help find him a used one in great condition at low cost?

Or any two of the three.

Thanks for all the support you've already shown him.

Voni
sMiling

English Visitor, Andy Lord has a plan but needs transportation to Bentonville BMW

He's in Memphis and needs to have his bike in Bentonville, AR by Monday evening.

If you can help, please call:
901-262-1648

If you want to know what's up, don't call, but watch this space . . .

Voni
sMiling

More detailed information for the curious, and helpful.

Andy Lord is from London and is on an enviable "round the world" journey. He has been through Southeast Asia and the Middle East and has been in the US a few months. He stayed with us a few days this month. He "had" to see a few more sights before he crossed into Mexico before his visa expires. Memphis (Elvis), the Barber Museum, and New Orleans.

His 2005 F650 suffered some engine damage - cam chain tensioner (a new one installed a month ago in San Diego) collapse and broken cam chain rail. After being told the engine was junk and trying to find an engine, and then after some real diagnostics Memphis BMW has concluded that there is not a problem with the bottom end. After trying to shoehorn the bike into work schedules at several different dealerships to get the tensioner and rail replaced, and the broken bits of plastic cleaned out of the thing, Bentonville BMW is leaping to help but Andy needs the bike hauled Memphis to Bentonville so they can fix it Tuesday.

So he no longer needs an engine (none found) or a good independent shop (not needed). He simply needs a ride and haul across Arkanasas.

Call Andy at 901-262-1648 if you can help. Maybe a relay - Memphis to Little Rock, Little Rock to Bentonville.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks. :wow

Looks like we have a ride from Little Rock to Bentonville. Just need to get him and his bike to Little Rock.

Voni
sMiling

Thanks. :wow

Looks like we have a ride from Little Rock to Bentonville. Just need to get him and his bike to Little Rock.

Voni
sMiling

Voni

Take a look at the Adv Rider tent space and link an individual with the services he needs. Plus we have the A-Book. :wave

:)

I'm bumping this. Andy still needs bike transport Memphis to Bentonville. It looked like somebody could help Little Rock to Bentonville but that apparently fell apart over night. Here is what Andy said in explaining why Bentonville.

"Jerry has cleared his bench (called and delayed other customers) especially to help me. He has all the special tools at hand as he just rebuilt another riders F650 motor. He has also pre ordered VOR the parts he believes he will need. He has a great rep and comes highly recommended. I am impressed with how he took control of the issue, contacted all the relevant parties and made sure BMW warranty are in the loop. He even asked for the VIN Number to ensure he has the build history of the bike. A small detail I know, but he's inspired confidence, something that has been in short supply with my bike recently.

The other consideration is warranty, there is still a chance that BMW will carry out the work under warranty. So the work needs to be undertaken by a network dealer."

This just in from Andy:

All,

BMW Owners of America Anonymous Book to the rescue!

Trailer relay from Memphis to Bentonville starts in 2 hours. Many thanks to all the advrider.com and f650.com members who also helped in getting this organized. The response of the clubs, organizations, individuals and BMW dealerships has been amazing.

A real big thank you to Marvin at Performance Plus BMW Memphis for fitting me into his busy workshop. To Gary Orr and his tem at San Diego BMW Motorcycles for going out of their way to support my trip.

Special thanks to Paul and Voni Glaves of BMWMOA for the networking. To Jerry at Bentonville BMW for clearing his bench to help me. And to my host BMWMOA member Charles Enman and his family for looking after me over the last couple of days.

Please feel free cross post this to any of the open threads. As soon as Jerry has looked at the motor an I know exactly what we dealing with I will provide a more detailed write up.

Regards,

Andrew

I dropped Andy Lord off at Bentonville BMW about 1:30 this afternoon. The bike is in the shop and Jerry will start on it in the morning. Andy is in a motel a couple of miles away from the shop.

Rod

I dropped Andy Lord off at Bentonville BMW about 1:30 this afternoon. The bike is in the shop and Jerry will start on it in the morning. Andy is in a motel a couple of miles away from the shop.

Rod

Thank you Rod, for the report, and more importantly for stepping up to help Andy. Thanks to everybody else that helped too.

Rod

:brad:hug:brad

a huge THANKS!

Voni
LOL

this just in from Andy:

Feedback for the BMWMOA thread:

I would like to add my special thanks to all the BMW MOA members that have taken the time to help me over the last few days. The response and support of your community has humbled me.

A big thank you to Voni and Paul for highlighting my plight. Charles Enman for looking after me in Memphis. To Butch Turner and Rod Kilduff for hauling myself and the bike to Bentonville BMW. Jerry Bradford at Bentoville BMW for clearing his bench and tearing down my sick motor at really short notice. To Emerson Goodwin who collected me at the motel last night. Took me out for a burger and tried to explain the nuances American Football to me.

Silver linings and serendipitous meetings with helpful, sometimes unusual but always interesting people has become a hallmark of my USA travels.

MOA, you're awesome!

Just. The fix was a lot more complicated than anticipated. But he's back rolling again!

Voni
sMiling

He's on his way back to the adobe on this beautiful sunshiny day so I'll ask him when he arrives.

Voni
sMiling

Back