• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member in State College, PA

Weather permitting - and assuming the head honcho approves time and funding, I'm thinking I need one more weekend outing.

Terrance and all, how does the weekend of 11/13 look for you? PSU has an away game so there should be reasonably priced hotel rooms for a night. Great ride, a little ice cream? I haven't read the article yet in Rider Magazine but I hear there is a BBQ place mentioned in Happy Valley.

Who's up for it? (I'll start working on permission!)

As a South Carolinian transplanted to Pennsylvania, BBQ is in my blood (not to mention my arteries). I have been on a decade-long quest to find Carolina quality BBQ in Pennsylvania and so far have failed. I had high hopes for Doan's Bones near Whipple Dam south of State College, but was disappointed.

That rant out of the way, there are some exquisite rides around there. Here are a few of my favorite stretches of road.

I'd heartily recommend the Elk Creek Cafe in Milheim for lunch. Boxer's Cafe in Huntington and Denny's in Clearwater (not the chain) are also fun.

I don't know if it will sate your epicurian tastes, but in Grazerville right outside of Tyrone is Clems BBQ. Yummmmmmm Tyrone is my hometown and I get a dose of Clems as often as possible

I rest my case. You might add shoe fly pie to that list of abominations, but at least it makes good spackle.

"Abominations" is a pretty strong term from someone lusting for cheap pork swimming is corn syrup and ketchup. But, then again, we all are entitled to our odd preferences.

BBQ only comes into proximity of ketchup in the less civilized regions west of I 77. Corn syrup never. Here's an educational video.

When I make BBQ for my Pennsylvania neighbors, I start the fire at 2:30 AM to have it ready for a 6 PM eating. I look at it as cultural missionary work, the equivalent of 19th century explorers teaching the natives to cover their nakedness. I normally use a whole pork shoulder weighing around 15 lbs. I order it from a country butcher shop who gets it directly from Lancaster County farms. They wrap the big pink hunk of meat in plastic and I bungee it to my luggage rack for the ride home. If I ever get in an accident while doing that I can imagine the police saying to my wife, "Mrs. Bottom--we have some bad news. The ambulance crew picked him up but there was a part left over and they don't know where it goes."

Last edited:
When I make BBQ for my Pennsylvania neighbors, I start the fire at 2:30 AM to have it ready for a 6 PM eating. I look at it as cultural missionary work, the equivalent of 19th century explorers teaching the natives to cover their nakedness. I normally use a whole pork shoulder weighing around 15 lbs.

So what is the date for the BBQ party next summer??? Maybe a day or two before the national?? I will bring the beer.

Works for me. I'm always looking for an excuse to fire up The Beast.

q.jpg

When BMWs roar, pigs must die.

Hi Bill, Kris from SCME/NRR here. I did a search to see how many members were from the area and found you on here. I recently picked up a K1300S.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new ride this season.

Another State College Member

Hi Bill,

I am a member from State College also. I ride a 2010 R1200RT that I bought last June. I have done a few rides with the NRR SCME/NRR group also.

Jim

BBQ only comes into proximity of ketchup in the less civilized regions west of I 77. Corn syrup never. Here's an educational video.
"
Thanks a lot. That was a hoot! I can not wait to try all those southern BBQs :thumb
There is a local guy that sets up at Red Rock Corner RT 487 RT 118 that has good BBQ . You are right about PA BBQ. I would add Chili and Fried pork loin sandwich to that list of hard to find in PA.
Your BBQ tech looks SMOKING!

Back