• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I miss my camera........do you have it?

U

USAF1

For a few days, I attended the Redmond Rally this year.....while absolutely Grrrrrrr.....eeeeat in its entirety, for me it was marred by two things.....something flew into my eye on my first day there and I ended up with a slightly scratched cornea. (really, really irritating) But several applications of an ointment picked up at a local pharmacy helped tremendously and by day three I was feeling more comfortable.

The second instant, happened while I was getting cash out of the ATM just down the hall from the LOST AND FOUND. I stupidly placed my camera on a little shelf just to the left of the ATM while I was doing my business....got all done....went into the mens room .....and then left to return to one of the display barns. It was on this walk that I saw something (I don't remember what now...) and went to take a picture. But of course, I didn't have my camera with me.....oh lordy, lordy, lordy. I quickly walked back to the ATM with my heart pounding.....only to find it g.o.n.e. I sure miss that camera......

I didn't know whether to sit down and cry or what. After a few minutes and asking around I found the Lost and Found office (wouldn't you know it) and left a note with my name, phone number and camera info with a couple of the most helpful folks around. I probably checked back with them 8 or 10 times the rest of that day and the next.....to no avail. I sure miss that camera.

I was able to find something resembling a bulletin board at the building where the winning numbers were being posted for all the drawings and left a fairly good sized note taped to the wall with a description of the camera, my cell number and home phone. I sure miss that camera.

Needless to say, I've heard nothing since...... Have I said how much I miss my camera??

The other day I sorta "batch emailed" everybody at the MOA hoping my email would end up on the right desk and I'd get some help........and sure enough
I heard back from Marc Souliere (the Director BMWMOA) and Tammy Leuthauser (BMWMOA Operations Manager) with expectations of maybe another contact later on. Both folks were saddened and surprised at what had happened......they'd NEVER heard of any such incident in all their years of Rally attendance.

The camera is (was) a CANON Powershot S5IS.....all black body, with a large lens hood attached. It had a 2 GB memory card inside....................

Being retired from the Air Force I'm not able to afford the super hi-budget..hi quality cameras, and this was the best I could afford while still meeting my needs. On top all that, just weeks before the start of the Rally, I was laid off my job after 11 years with the same company....I was really low about being let go and my wife clearly saw that, and really pushed me to go to the Rally....and get my mind off things, and come home with a better outlook (it almost worked honey). Still have no job (but I'm sure getting a LOT of HONEY-DO's done.......)

I've taken thousands of shots with that camera, and I really miss it.......every day....every ride (yes, I use it while riding).

Hopefully, something will come of this and maybe, just maybe, someone will feel a bit of guilt and return it. Anybody needing my address or Ph numbers.....just pm me.......................no questions asked.......I just want my camera back.

Thanks for your time.

Pat (USAF1)

I hate to hear things like this, hopefully someone just picked it up and is looking for someone to return it to. Is this what it looks like?

On that note, I usually make the first photo in my cameras a "Reward for Return" picture, and then protect it so it cannot be easily deleted.

verrill_cameraprotect_015.jpg

Here is a painfully detailed write-up for the novice unfamiliar with the "Protect" function, it was done with a Canon point and shoot but most brands have a similar function.

Last edited:
I am going to put this in the rally forum where it will hopefully get more attention and maybe someone will see it and no where to return the camera. I wonder if an ad in the Things Wanted area of the Flea Market http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/
is appropriate as well. Not sure of the rules there. You might also see if you can put an Ad in the ON classifieds.
Good luck!

Ted

Except for the LARGE lens shade/hood that I had on it.......that's the camera indeed!! Tried to find a good picture of it online, but wasn't suffessful at all.

I do like your "PROTECTION" idea and will definately use it, if and when I can get another one of course.

Steve........thanks ...............owe you one!

Paul had his camera returned because it had a protected picture of his card as the first picture. It works!

Best of luck on getting your camera returned too!

Voni
sMiling

I hate to hear things like this, hopefully someone just picked it up and is looking for someone to return it to.

On that note, I usually make the first photo in my cameras a "Reward for Return" picture, and then protect it so it cannot be easily deleted.

Here is a painfully detailed write-up for the novice unfamiliar with the "Protect" function, it was done with a Canon point and shoot but most brands have a similar function.

Excellent Idea Ted, I have that exact camera-and no I wasn't at the rally :ha . I'll check your notes and have at it. Good luck Pat on it's return, Gary

Geeze, I didn't even know my camera had that feature! (an Olympus SP-320, and yes I like it a lot)
My protected First Picture now says "This camera belongs to..." with my first name and phone number.
Thanks for the great idea!
Paul

Back