• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wood pellet grills

I would love to get a pellet grill! (I would love to get a GS even more.)

All of the great flavor of charcoal with all of the easy of propane. All of the different flavors of pellets would be nice. (Mesquite, Hickory, Garlic, Onion, Grape Vine, Apple, & more.) The grills that I have seen look like they would last a lot longer than all the grills at Home Depot / Lowes.

The price is a little more than I want to spend so that $700 - & $1,000 would be better spent on a BMW! Maybe if I come into a lot of unexpected money...:thumb

Never heard of a Pellet Grill but it does look interesting. Is it safe to burn regular Pellets like a pellet stove burns or is there something in them that is not safe?

2 friends of mine have the Traeger units. They love them. Set the temp, let them go... I'm a Big Green Egger & envy the auto-temp, so I'm upgrading with a STOKER unit on mine...

One friend complained about cleaning his, but then I put him in touch with the other guy I know & they surmised that you don't have to clean it, just keep the grate as clean as any of your BBQ units.

Traeger lover

i'm a tight wad but i have absolutelly no regrets after buying my traeger wood pellet cooker ($700) a couple years ago. easy to use, makes fabulous food (the finish and flavor of meats is exceptional). i cook a lot of pork loin and sweet potatos. steaks and salmon are great on it. i smoke fish on it too. have even baked pizza. lots of various wood pellets to experiment with for various foods (hickory-chicken, mesquite-steak and salmon, apple, oak or cherry-pork, alder-smoking fish, etc). i recommend getting the electronic thermostat upgrade, set it and forget it, but check your pellet bin occasionally to make sure it doesn't run empty. pretty easy to clean too. the cherry on top is to use a remote/electronic meat thermometer (eg redi chek) too so the receiver beeps when the food is done to your preferred setting. almost idiot proof and consistently predictable and impressive results.

I've heard MOSTLY good about them but also some quality issues, C/S issues of late with Traeger? Saw one for the first time last weekend. Was intrigued.

Have read that they are really good for COOKING but you lose the searing ability of a traditional grill? What about space? The smaller Traeger (the $700 model) looks like a nice size but without an upper rack to heat stuff on??

calling it a grill is a misnomer in my opinion. there are 2 heat shields above the firebox so the heat is indirect which precludes real grilling or searing. i call it a cooker/smoker, it does both very well. temps can be set from 'smoke' which is around 150-180F up to 450, but i find it difficult to exceed 400 according to the display.

btw, in addition to a $700 cooker, 'tightwad' also bought an R12RT, the apparent paradox explainable by a strong belief in the value and importance of having good quality toys.

I'm a tightwad when it comes to spending money on things like electricity, water in bottles, cable TV, etc... Why? So I can spend it on motorcycles, BBQ stuff like my $750 Big Green Egg, fast cars, wine, vacations & stuff like that.

Back