• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Knobbies

Have you ever mounted knobbies on your GS?

• Yes all the time, have two sets of wheels too

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Only the set it came with

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Never

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
A pair? Nope. Until this last tire change I was using a TKC-80 front and a Trail Attack rear. Before the Trail Attack rear was a Tourance rear. Kind of the best of both worlds. Reasonable mileage and good enough handling on the road and extra confidence on the trail.

Currently have the K60 front and rear. Next front will be another TKC-80. :deal

I swap back and forth seasonally with my tire changer -- TKCs on now and will stay until the snow is gone and the mud dries up -- so I guess once in a while was the best choice out of the options given.

TkC -

These rock for tough roads and are OK on the highway - tread life is the compromise. I wore out the rear tire in ten days - but I was on the Campbell, Dempster and Dalton. :dance

709775645_YwcZQ-M.jpg

i am a two-sets of wheels kinda guy, on the R80G/S and HP2e.

for the oilhead, i do what marchyman does, a TKC80 front with Tourance rear. this works remarkably well. however, i typically only do this when planning a long tour with some off-pavement mixed in. otherwise two Tourances.

this summer the front TKC80 went the entire 8,200 mile distance... but it was hammered by the end.

ian

I now have two sets of wheels and tires, The TKC 80's give me much more confidence off road than the Tourances did. For the street I just got through trying some Z6's. I replaced the Rear Z6 when out in Redmond, so I didn't have to worry about the cords showing on the ride home.

Not sure if I fit in here - with a 650GS single.
Use TKC's both ends, but will probably go with (Visian's idea) rear Tourance for longer (mostly asphalt) hauls. The rear will only last perhaps 4k miles on 50/50 roads, the front twice as long.
The TKC's perform remarkably well on twisty asphalt, and as a bonus tend to start sliding at their limit - a nice warning!
I'm keen to try a Heidenau on the back.

I predominantly use Tourance tires, my reasons are.

# 1. I have more confidence on my side wall on fast pavement and twisty back roads..

# 2. Tourances seem to be just fine with the 80 % of the dirt and fire roads here in Pennsylvania. However if its steep, with large loose gravel and muddy a steady throttle and smooth braking doesn't always work.

* Tourances have limited me in my recent exploration, GS ride scouting and in wet conditions riding on my farm.

I would say I am a 85 % road rider and 10 % off roader, the other 5 % I am usually out of bounds with another rider to help if need be. My solution would be is to ride with more off road minded people but I like going slow instead of a rally type riding. Also on the fire roads there are some blind corners that may have threatening oncoming trucks to ATVs.

Can't really vote accurately with the given choices, I run knobbies (TKCs) all the time on the only set of wheels I have for my GS.

I am planning to try a rear K60 though for better wear and lower cost; $320 for 4000 kms with the TKC is a bit hard on the budget.

I voted once in awhile as I place to swap out the Anakees I have for more agressive riding with the TKC 80's I have.

However i can see how much of a pain in the but that would be in the long run and am seriously considering a second set.

I wore out the rear TKC in about 3000 miles running about 40% on dirt. I now have Saharas mounted. Better on the road then the TKCs, capable on dirt roads and with 4000 miles (about 2000 on dirt) on them they appear to wearing better too.

I ran TKC's once on my own bike. They were fantastically confidence-inspiring off-road, especially in mud that normally worries me. They did fine on the highway and were OK on twisties, but I had to dial it back a bit. The problem, as everyone knows, is tread life on the highway. On a trip I did fine with a few hours of highway and all backroads. Going home I did 600 miles in one shot, and it seriously squared off the rear tire. Since then I've stuck with Anakees but I was reminded recently how they aren't great on a muddy fire road.

I'd love a second set of wheels so I could swap back and forth easily.

I also ran knobbies once on a BMW-owned bike at "Motorrad Days" and they felt just as good on a 1200GSA as they do on my PD.

There wasn't an option for "Not Yet". Mine GSA is new and I'm wearing out the Trail Attacks that are on there first before I go and try TKC's. I'm just to cheap to pull off good tires.

But I will at least try one set of the TKC's

My 1200 GSA has TKCs and my 1150 GSA has Tourances. I will switch next time. The TKCs wear fast but really help in loose dry stuff. Only digs the hole deeper and faster in mud.;)

I finally found a local guy that will mount tires he didn't sell.

I'd rather pay $40 bux twice over the life of a set of Tourances and TKC 80's to go back and forth rather than burn up the TKC's on pavement.

What I'd really like is a good tire machine in my garage but that's still a few years off.

Long story short version. On a trip to and from Alaska on an F650 single I started out with a set of MEFO 99s. Next was a set of TKC 80 knobbies - followed by the same TKC 80 on the front and an Anakee on the rear. I liked the latter combination the best, overall.

Back