• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

4 person tent info wanted

jstrube

John.
Looking to buy a 4 person tent for touring. Why a 4? Well, it is for my wife & I & we will also use it for a car trip next year to replace a cheap Costco quality 8 person (it leaks) tent. She likes the room & we would like to use our air matress while on the car trip. So far we camp in CA during the dry season, so we've been OK.

So, pack size is important, as is weather resistance to rain. We will be traveling to Mt Rushmore & midwest weather is unpredictable. I want to stay dry. I'd like 2 dors & a good vestibule system to store some of our gear underneath. I want aluminum poles & ease of assy. I'm done with buying cheap crap.

Full Throttle Camping shows the Pine Island tent, but they are out of them, as are most other vendors. I saw a Mountain Hardware 5 person that shows to pack in 9x27", but I haven't seen it up close.

As for price, under $400 is where I want to be. Closer to $300 is even better.

Any good deals, nice tents you love, etc. out there?

John.

http://www.rei.com/product/777753

Life-time unlimited warranty. If you don't like it in 10 years, take it back and get a full refund. That's how REI works.

I have a three-person Mountain Hardware mountaineering tent that is bomb-proof, but it's a $650 tent. I have a two-person The North Face backpacking tent that I use when I'm touring solo. I have an older four person REI tent that has served us reliably for a decade now, but it's starting to show some wear and we'd like something a little bigger for car camping, so we'll be purchasing the six person version of the above REI tent with our 2011 REI dividend. (http://www.rei.com/product/777755)

I roll my tent up in my sleeping pad, which then gets strapped on the back of the bike, so the size/weight of the packed tent is almost meaningless to me. I use the tent poles as the spindle and roll the whole contraption up on the top of a picnic table at the camp site. Then when it's time to set up camp, the first thing off the bike is the tent and the bed - making it easy to set up camp in the dark or inclement weather.

Can't agree more on the REI recommendation, they get a lot of my cash :)

During the big attic sale I almost bought a Sierra Designs Zeta 4 tent, I just didn't need all that room. I did set it up and was very impressed with it:

- very high quality fabric and fittings
- mostly mesh upper for hot nights, full (as in full!) cover rain fly for cold, rainy nights with included clear panel slit so you can look out without having to open the vestibule
- big vestibules with 2 doors
- bigger than normal 50" internal headroom, pole design equals voluminous internal space
- for a 3-season tent it is pretty light and packs down nicely

And believe it or not, it is now on sale LoL

PS - I use the REI Quarterdome T2, it is not too big but it is so well designed and packs down so small (think 2-liter bottle) I couldn't say no :) If you go to REI they are happy to set up as many tents as you want to look at so you can compare and check out side-by-side.

1397184.jpg

Last edited:
Heidi and I have been using a Big Agnes, Big House 4 for the last 3+ years. (Full Throttle Camping) It packs well into a Helen Two Wheels bag and straps on the bike very easily. Not very bulky. Goes up easily by one person, two easier. Convinced by brother to purchase one a couple of years ago and he enjoys it as well.

You will find Full Throttle camping at many of the larger BMW rallies. We purchased ours at the 49er.

bob

http://www.rei.com/product/777753
+1 :thumb I purchased this exact tent (BaseCamp4) for the two of us, and I'm very happy with it -- I particularly like the vestibules for covered *out*side-tent storage of gear. If you go with this tent, also get the BaseCamp4-specific ground cloth -- not only exactly the right size, but with grommets which match the tent/fly poles to lock the tent/groundcloth together.

Watch for sales -- I purchased mine at $250 on sale. Alternatively, join REI (cheap membership) and get 20% off coupons sent periodically (quarterly?).

Look at the large Catoma tent made in Alabama. Easy to erect, no leaks, a covered vestibule on both ends. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Hey Thanks guys!

I am an REI member, my boys own a couple of REI tents, I own a Mountain Hardware 2 person I love, but the wife needs room!

I love that tent made in Alabama, the Catoma... But a bit out of range...

Just so happens, as I was looking tonight, I found a killer deal on the Mountain Hardwear tent on E-bay, with footprint for less than all the others! Woo Hoo! Good thing some people can't spell!

Look at the large Catoma tent made in Alabama. Easy to erect, no leaks, a covered vestibule on both ends. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I love that tent (2 person), I bought one at the RA Rally in VT this year, awesome how quickly and easily it sets up. But although the company is in Alabama, the tent is now made in Korea (or so the reps told me).

I've been using an Eastern Mountain 4 person for five years. Two doors, lots of room fits a double air mattress and have never got wet. Easy to set up only $175.00. I camp an average of 40 nights a year and the tent in not showing any signs of wear at all, packs small sets up in minutes. and you can stand up in it.

Greetings
We will soon be looking for a new tent. This is our next tent.
t400_bd76918e1aec6805cd157256e54b04a6.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-timberline-sq-4xt-tent.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=27919
They can be set up freestand or tied down for high winds, front and rear doors with "special pole anodizing process used is GREENER (less polluting) than other aluminum poles". I would and add a rear vestibule for more storage space. These tents are boy scout tested toughhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRZ45ixgpo. Easy and fast to setup and tear down. A little heavy (9 lbs 13 oz) but worth it weight in space.
peace

Hey Thanks guys!

I am an REI member, my boys own a couple of REI tents, I own a Mountain Hardware 2 person I love, but the wife needs room!

I love that tent made in Alabama, the Catoma... But a bit out of range...

Just so happens, as I was looking tonight, I found a killer deal on the Mountain Hardwear tent on E-bay, with footprint for less than all the others! Woo Hoo! Good thing some people can't spell!

Great tent discussion! I appreciate all the responses & it is neat to see the choices out there. Well, I won the bid at $275 for a brand new $420 tent & $60 footprint... It is that Mountain Hardwear unit, the guy listed it under Mountain Hardware, so it wasn't picked up by many. Can't wait to get it & set it up! :dance

Tent

I got the 4-Person Cabela's XPG Deluxe Tent mid-season this year and I like it very much. It is great for one person on a motorcycle, easy to set up up, quite roomy and is absolutely waterproof. I took this tent out for 10 days on the road doing the Blue Ridge Parkway and some other rides and it performed like a champion. It is guaranteed and it is on sale too. I think it's a good value for the money. Here's the link, good luck with your choice. Don

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...g-tents/_/N-1100670/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880

Back