• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Thread Alert ... Which is better ?

breyfogle

In general, does oil have a "shelf life" ?

I seem to accumulate quite a few partially used containers of (mostly) gear oil. A Final Drive holds only 8 ounces and a transmission about 24 oz. Usually I just buy another new quart when it comes time to change the FD or Trans but is there any downside to using unused gear oil from a container that was opened 1,2, maybe 3 years ago ?

What about old but never been opened oil ?
What about dino vs synthetic ?
Is engine oil shelf life different from gear oil ?

Nothing wrong with pooling your old remnants of the same spec stuff and I wouldn't worry about 3 yrs of normal storage. Just don't do it with brake flujid- its lifespan once exposed to air is not infinite.

BTW, the FD on an R bike service voulme of 180 ml is closer to 6 1/2 oz than .

It's been in the ground for millions of years, another 3 years shouldn't hurt it.
As long as it's re-sealed after opening it, it should be OK.

When I had time to waste, I spent a lot of it on Bob Is The Oil Guy.com. This question has been asked of oil companies in the past and the standard (conservative) answer seems to be that oil is good up to 5 years.

As a retired packaging engineer, I can tell you that the reason is package integrity. Extrusion blow molded HDPE bottles have a weaknesses you can experience yourself if you drop a full bottle on a concrete floor. Over time, the plastic gets brittle and will start to leak at the seams on the base. If left in a sunny window the bottle may not last very long at all.

If you put new oil in your car and don't drive for 10 years, the oil analysis will give the same results as new oil. Modern motor oil is a very, very sophisticated formulation. Unless you contaminate it in some way - it is fine to use with confidence.

Oil Analysis on bike stored for 16 years !

1979 Kawasaki K2 (1000cc) with Castrol GTX

The bike in this link had an oil change, was driven under 300 miles, then put in an unheated shed for 16 years. Oil analysis determined that the oil was as good as the day it was changed.

Slightly elevated rust level found in the oil .... :scratch. Maybe we should talk more about condensation/storage conditions than which oil to use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2011341#Post2011341

Back