• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth Helmet Headsets?

I know it's not on your list Ted but I've been pretty happy with my 1st generation Chatterbox XBi. I only use it to hear directions from my GPS and I did use it once to place a phone call while I was getting gas.

I bought the Scala Rider Q2 team set about a year ago. I ride with the wife 2 up and we used them a lot over the 12,000 miles we put on in the last year. We turn them on in the morning and recharge at night on trips and they have never let us down even after being on for 12 hours. I liked them so much I bought the new G4 team set about three weeks ago. Those are even better. We can now listen to the iPod bluetooth instead of using the wires. The reception is better and the speakers are louder. I bought my G4 Teamset from Baird Cycle out of Elkhart, Indiana for $310. He has the Q2 Team Set for a little over $200. He has a ebay store under the name of sport bike needs. No matter where you get them you will not regret the purchase.

Sena SMH10

Just used these units on a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very user friendly, excellent audio and modest range.

They seem to be good for about a half mile or so which is good. Bike to bike com is only two parties at a time though, they are a blue tooth connection protocal and not like walkie talkie radios where several can be on the same frequency at once.

Battery is non replaceable but should it ever not take a charge I am sure a workaround will be available or the technology will have already been superceded by then. Hell of a lot of fun choosing music, talking with other riders and making the occasional phone call. Worked with my Garmin by cable too (Nuvie 760.)

+1 on Sena

Ted - I use my Sena for;

iPod music and (mostly) podcasts
Bike to Bike and rider to passenger communication
Receiving phone calls
XM radio

I use the system while wearing foam earplugs - these eliminate the wind noise, but the fidelity and volume on the Sena come through. The Sena is smart, interrupting entertainment to take a call or communication from another rider - and then automatically going back after the call. If the source was an iPod (or MP3 Blackberry source which works very well) it pauses the soundtrack and returns where it left off. I've used it with modular and full face helmets - installation is easy, 5 minutes tops.

Battery life is a full day - I've run 14 hours with no problem.

The system isn't fussy, easy to use with gloves, and never had any problems with rain.

Factory support is top notch - I bought mine thru Adam at Rocketmoto.com - very knowledgable reseller with very good prices. Usual disclaimers.

Back