• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride-On Tire Sealant

hedstrom144389

Have been using Ride-On tire sealant on my K1300GT since it was new. It now seems that the TPM system on my bike is being affected. To reach recommended tire pressures of 42/36 psi according to the TPM, the pressures are like 50/42 psi as measured by several "external" tire pressure gauges.

Has anyone experienced a similat phenomenom?

Hedstrom:scratch

can only guess that stuff is trying to find it's way out as designed...by way of the valve stem sensor...I would have the tires removed and try to clean that goop out...if it were me.
I only use stuff like that in emergencies on non sensored tires...and don't forget to tell the tire guy it's in there before he de mounts the tires!

The term phenomenon would not seem totally appropriate as it is just what we should expect when a sealing agent covers the pressure sensor, bridging the area and providing additional resistance. Fully agree with removing it from the wheels, or removing the TPM sensors (or just disabling the readout?). I only used the stuff once, in an emergency, and forgot to tell my mechanic. He reminded :fight me that it was better to tell him than surprise him, as it is nasty stuff to remove.

While this thread might better have been started in Gear.. I do have a bit of "RideOn" experience.

Most TPM manufacturers will tell you NOT to use tire-sealants in tires that have a pressure monitor. The tire-sealant does create a very moist atmosphere in the tire, especially as the tire heats up.

I've used RideOn in tires, and it does what it is supposed to - seals small leaks.. It also tends to keep it's active layer of goop right in the center 2" of the tire - thrown there by centrifugal force. It doesn't dribble like other sealants, and tire swapping isn't really effected by it. BUT - the inside of the rim, and any passages up the spokes of the rim are going to be damp - damp enough to feel and wet a finger.

The TPM uses a diaphragm type pressure sensors - with a sealed chamber (at a known pressure) behind the diaphragm. The displacement of the diaphragm by tire pressure is how it measures your tire pressure. The diaphragms generally are not made to be waterproof, and use of a sealant usually will screw up the TPM sensor.

New sensors from BMW are something like $150/EACH. That is awfully expensive, but using RideOn could cost you two sensors. RideOn may warn against use in tires with TPM sensors (I'd have to read the bottle I have at home to see..)

You can use this tire sealant with your OEM TPM:

www.tyreguardian.us

Ask questions here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596213

They say it can be used with a TPMS. They also say it will seal tire, bead, and rim leaks.

Thus: "Now, all porosity, bead, and rim leaks are sealed for the full legal life of the tire."

The OEM TPMS is mounted to the drop center portion of the wheel. About the same spot as spokes would be if the wheels had spokes. Certainly where a leak would be if there was a "porosity, bead or rim" leak.

I fail to see how it could possibly seal the bead and rim but not seal the little hole in the TPMS. I may well be missing something but I'm doubtful.

+1 on Paul's comments.. remember, if you experiment with this - be prepared for about $150/wheel (plus mounting) if the experiment fails. Your choice - believe BMW who says not to use sealants, or the seller of the sealants.

I don't see where the "sealant" folks will "seal" the deal and replace your failing TPMS.
:lurk Probably a good reason.. they really don't "guarantee".

A good arguement;

For a three dollar tire gauge:). Guess I'm getting older and riding too many years and find TPMs a joke, right in there with electric center stands:). When we get too lazy to check our tires, bending over, kicking them, whatever it takes, even a tire gauge, remember those? I'm a bit amazed how far bikes have come and the mfg'ers trying to make them bombproof for riders. What happens when you blow a tire with a TPM in place? Not much different I suggest than being without it. An early warning is good, yes. Are you always looking at that TPM monitor? As a trucker, we "thump" our tires frequently at stops and it gives a pretty accurate indication of tire prssure. A little rant for all those new fangled Beemers. My GSA1200 is still free of it, beyond ABS:). Randy:thumb

For a three dollar tire gauge:). Guess I'm getting older and riding too many years and find TPMs a joke, right in there with electric center stands:). When we get too lazy to check our tires, bending over, kicking them, whatever it takes, even a tire gauge, remember those? I'm a bit amazed how far bikes have come and the mfg'ers trying to make them bombproof for riders. What happens when you blow a tire with a TPM in place? Not much different I suggest than being without it. An early warning is good, yes. Are you always looking at that TPM monitor? As a trucker, we "thump" our tires frequently at stops and it gives a pretty accurate indication of tire prssure. A little rant for all those new fangled Beemers. My GSA1200 is still free of it, beyond ABS:). Randy:thumb
What you're missing Randy - is when you're on a road with deep truck tire grooves in it - that cause your bike to feel just like it has a flat, it's quite reassuring to glance at the TPM and know that isn't the case. BTDT many times.. and if a TPM saves you from one deflation at speed (happened to me once pulling onto the NJ Turnpike at about 70MPH.. a TPM would have told me way before it got really exciting) it has paid for itself. My TPM lights up and flashes the brightest red LED I've ever seen if it thinks something is wrong. Mounted in the right spot (as mine is) it would be difficult to NOT see it when it starts flashing.

On that new fangled Beemer - your GSA - it does have electric lights right? As a non-trucker, I just can't trust those things over the carbide lanterns we used to use.. :dance

Moreover, I believe by 2014 all automobiles will be required to have TPM systems so everyone will be use to them. I agree you need to have a good tire gage and use it. Many riders fail to check their tires often enough and some are in the seldom category. I know this is hard to believe. I do not check that option box myself on new bikes, but soon it will be pervasive.

Back