• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

does anybody here use pulsing brake lights?

CANBus BRAKE Lights?

I had Hyperlight modules on my K100 and my KGT came with the Flashing LED rig from Pirate's Lair http://pirateslair.net/LED1.htm.

VERY bright and the LEDs really work well.

How do those LED Brake lights treat your CANBus system? I tried something similar on my '08 K1200S and it lit the dash up, things flashing and warning that the rear brake light was out. I ended up back with the original bulb, and added hyperlights.

If you know how these were installed and your dash functions properly, could you share that information?

I use P3 lights, followed the instructions; they work great and cagers do notice them. Maybe your lights were grounding improperly.

I have the P3 lights on my 2005. They work fine with the CANBUS. What sold me on the P# over the Hyperlights is that the P# seller at the rally could answer all my questions, knew that you needed a wire from the front to the back, and to me, produced a nicer looking (stouter) product. The connectors were all top notch, the units themselves looked stronger, etc.

How do those LED Brake lights treat your CANBus system?...{snip}

The Hyperlights are compatible with CANBUS. They use a sensor that monitors the voltage on the brake light wire and, when the voltage switches to high (brakes on), a microprocessor modulates the Hyperlights from voltage drawn from a power source (accessory outlet, fuseblock, etc.). Mine have never caused a CANBUS error.

Canbus -

Sorry, the bike came with them installed, but my bike is a 2004. As the other members have noted, the circuit is looking for a certain resistance - I suspect the unit that was installed on my KGT has a resistor in the circuit to match the load that would be seen with the OE bulb.

20080223-010.jpg

I've got a bunch of lights on my bike, including two flashing LED panels made by Code 3 for my RTP's unique rear end. In the photo above, you can see the two illuminated round red incandescent lamps at the bottom of the panel. These are blue lights on real police motorcycles, and they've been converted to always-on red marker lights on my bike.

Above those two round lamps are two rectangular red panels with a blue reflective sticker between them. These LED panels are EXTREMELY bright when illuminated and feature a programmable display. I think there are six settings to the lights that are changed by completing a circuit across a jumper. The setting I use flashes the lamps twice in very quick succession and then remains on for as long as the brake pedal/lever is activated.

This feature, on a cop bike, keeps tailgaters away. I don't consider myself bulletproof on my bike, but I do feel very safe knowing I've employed every available technology to protect myself and make myself visible.

As you can see, I also have the Kisan Signalminder that, among other things, keeps the turn signals on all the time as marker lights.

I use pulsing brake lights on one of my bikes. The other will get them soon.

I just wanted to add... Every Chicago Police car has red brake lights up top that strobe 2 or 3 three times before maintaining steady illumination. When you see 5 brake lights, two of them pulsing, you notice.

also, i learned a lesson about left turns on two lane roads at night. i was on a curve stopped to make a left turn.... heard a screech behind me which was the attention deficit disorder afflicted driver swerving to avoid me.
it was then i remembered hearing somewhere that in that kind of a scenario it's best to pull off to the right and let the road clear and then make the left turn.
the other driver might have been at fault but i was the one who would have been road kill.
hope this helps somebody else.

I don't know what you are driving, but I did find out that my BMW dealer (Sill's Motor Sales in Cleve) has a few of the BRAKE! LED tail lights. I was lucky that someone posted on the forum that the 1200GS would fit my F800ST and they had one. I know he has a few more left but don't know for what models. The pulse is programable and CanBus and ABS friendly.

Their number is 216-749-1363 ask for Dominic. Like I said, he only had a few. They are bright and they pulse initially then stay on. It's a LED panel & it's plug n play.:dance

I would love to have those lights but they are illegal in Canada.

The only vehicles that are allowed to have flashing red lights are Police, Fire and Ambulances.

I would love to have those lights but they are illegal in Canada.

The only vehicles that are allowed to have flashing red lights are Police, Fire and Ambulances.

Darryl...These are programmable, so you could just have the bright LED panel to operate like a regular brake light, no flashing. I think it has 3 modes on it. Just turns on, flashes for 1 sec then stays on, or flashes for 1.5 sec then stays on.

I will post a pic soon....

Flashing brake lights are not illegal in BC. I have been using them for years. I have even been complimented on my visibility by the police!

Perhaps this is unique to Ontario.

Flashing brake lights are not illegal in BC. I have been using them for years. I have even been complimented on my visibility by the police!

Perhaps this is unique to Ontario.

Ditto - see post 16
Applies to 2 friends as well

Hyper lites for Canadians

Hi there.
I ordered Hyperlites by phone from Toronto last spring. The owner was very helpful and the shipping was very fast. I never thought of them being illegal in Ontario and quite frankly I don't think they are. Others I've ridden with, praise them, and I feel they are very effective. It's not only a safety issue.
In a pool of red lights at night on the highway they are more conspicuous when things suddenly slow down.
And if I am ever knocked down by some cage he'll have a real problem telling the court he didn't see me slowing. As a lawyer I once defended a man that rear-ended a Ferrarri on an off ramp. When the guy said he slowed down just by downshifting and admitted the brake lights wouldn't have come on before he was hit, it was game over. My client who was asleep at the wheel having driven almost non-stop from Thunder Bay walked out of court, off the hook. That's why I wear ridiculous Hi Viz clothing, a white helmet and use Hyperlites. I don't want to have some other lawyer score big like I did. Just my opinion..

Hyperlites, Kissan Signal Minder (which converts the turn signals to marker lights as an option), LED lights wired into the stoplight (intended to mounted as turn signals on the mirrors) & just about any other shiny thing I can think of.

I still got rear ended.
There's nothing you can do if somebody's just not paying attention. You may hope that the extra brake flash helps them focus their attention, but when they're busy texting, on the phone, soothing the baby, arguing with the passenger or whatever, you're out of luck. Look at this (Dutch) police bike:
20110131_motoragent-parklaan_IMG_1556.jpg

This happened on a straight, two lane road. A car wanted to turn left, and crossed the lane where the police bike was coming from. The driver apparently didn't see the police bike at all and hit him. The policeman was badly injured. I can't find the left cylinder in the picture...shows you how hard the impact was.

Incredible that you miss such a big bike with all the police colours...the policemen over here wear bright yellow helmets and jackets, so you can't say you don't see them...unless you're looking the other way.

aux brake lights

add me to the list firm believer in the P3 lights, installed on my 2011 gs they are just plane bright

I used the Comagination on all my prior bikes. Not sure it would work with CAN BUS.

What is the part number I need for 2011 R1200RT? Are you guys using the U-32 kit with 16 led's per side? Or the smaller kit with 8 led's per side?

Also, is everyone using the kit with just the brake light modulator, or brake / running lights? Is the bracket required? And how do the lights attach to it (hopefully not double sided tape).

On many of my bikes I have added pulsing LED brake lights.

I've discovered that pulsing brake lights are not legal in Ohio. Interestingly I called the State of Ohio traffic safety office and discussed this matter with them. I learned that the State of Ohio (using MSF safety training info) actually recommends manually pulsing the brake lever when stopping to get rear motorists' attention.

I was referred to the Ohio State Patrol. The fellow that I spoke with also rode motorcycles and he acknowledged that the strict interpretation of the law was that the pulsing LEDs were not legal, but he thought that they would be ok if the lights only pulsed a few times and then were constantly illuminated.

I did some further research and found several technical publications in various safety journals. In one paper the investigation was with incandescent brake lights that are pulsed. The reaction time for a rear motorist was increased (i.e., more likely to hit you from the rear!) with the pulsing brake lights. The speculation was that the incandescent brake lights don't get fully illuminated when pulsed.

Other technical papers addressed pulsing LED lights. The time for the full light output of the LEDs is much shorter than for incandescent lights. In this study the pulsing brake lights decreased the reaction time of rear motorists. These studies were simulator based rather than actual measurements in real traffic.

I have some ideas about developing a device using a GPS, laser range finder, and data acquisition system to gather data in actual traffic situations. All I need to do is get a grant to fund the research.

I contacted the AMA (which is conveniently headquartered near Columbus, Ohio) about the laws governing pulsing brake lights. I forwarded the technical papers to their legislative coordinator. A legislation package is being developed that has several proposed changes that affect motorcyclists and will include pulsed brake lights (with some limitations).

If some of the forum readers would be interested in the papers, then I'll be happy to forward them along (you will need to send me a pm with your email address). The papers will be pdf files.

On my bike and most bikes that I see that have pulsing brake lights they are in addition to the stock non-pulsing lights.

Back