• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front Rotors on 2007 GSA

ROBBINS

I have had 2 front rotors replacements and at 18K I need another replacement due to warping. Anyone else experiencing this problem? My riding style is not the problem as I am 59 and a tourist enjoying the scenery. I do ride dirt roads and street but neither is pushing the bike. This bike has had 2 rotors, 2 fuel strips, rear wheel, fuel pump, and brake lines recalled all in 3 years. Where is all this BMW quality?

Sometimes it is a build up of pad material that causes warp-like symptoms but if your rotors have been replaced twice I'd guess that isn't the issue.

1) riding style has less to do with rotor warpage than stopping style. If you are one of those who keeps a death grip on the front brake when stopped you might be causing some rotor damage (especially if you got the pads good and hot first).

2) Is the wheel true? If the wheel is true are the brake rotor mounting flanges also true? If not putting new rotors on the wheel may well be a temporary fix. Spoke wheels may be more susceptible to out-of-round problems. :dunno

Same yaer GSA here;

Mine is the 07 year model too, but with no brake issues to this date at 58000m..I have haerd this issue arise however with many others, so somthings up with all this? I'm on number 3 fuel strip, one broken center stand bolt and a few recalls about brake lines:(. Good luck with yours as I plan on keeping mine a long time yet, with my 7 year warantee I bought. Randy...:usa

I have an 08 with 30K+ miles and on original brake pads. NO Warpage. I just put new TKCs on a couple of weeks ago and inspected my pads. I have only worn the pads half way down. I ride HARD!!! I ride dirt and dust. Not sure if rotors were updated from 07 to 08.:scratch

BMW knows they had a problem in the early hexheads so they came out with a replacement disc:

Front Brake Vibration Fix
BMW's fix for vibrating/pulsing front brakes on the 1200 boxer
03/07/2008

Background:
Problems with the front brakes on the 1200 boxer machines isnt exactly unknown. Several people have reported recurring problems with vibration and pulsating of the front brake lever. If this was reported earlier as a warranty issue, new brake discs might have been fitted, but the problem could easily reoccur with the new discs.

Fix 1:
June 2007 BMW Motorrad America issued Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 003 07 (34) Under 'Details' is the follow comment:
A combination of unfavourable tolerances of brake disc, front wheel and ABS sensor ring and/or incorrect assembly can result in an increase in runout of the front brake discs. When the motorcycle has covered a considerable distance (empirical data indicates approximately 5,000 to 12,500 miles), very shallow recesses are worn into the brake discs. The effect is perceptible to the customer as pulsating brakes, and is particularly noticeable under gentle braking.
It then advises dealers to fit new discs to the front wheel, then check them for run-out. If the new discs are found out of tolerance then a new wheel would be fitted along with the discs to correct the problem.

Fix 2:
May 2008 BMW Motorrad USA issued Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 006 08 (028) There is now a new type of brake disc available with riveted on floating mounts. No longer is there need to measure run out or fit a replacement front wheel, just fit the new type of discs.

That explains it. My bike was made the end of May 2008:thumb

BMW knows they had a problem in the early hexheads so they came out with a replacement disc:

Front Brake Vibration Fix
BMW's fix for vibrating/pulsing front brakes on the 1200 boxer
03/07/2008

Background:
Problems with the front brakes on the 1200 boxer machines isnt exactly unknown. Several people have reported recurring problems with vibration and pulsating of the front brake lever. If this was reported earlier as a warranty issue, new brake discs might have been fitted, but the problem could easily reoccur with the new discs.

Fix 1:
June 2007 BMW Motorrad America issued Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 003 07 (34) Under 'Details' is the follow comment:
A combination of unfavourable tolerances of brake disc, front wheel and ABS sensor ring and/or incorrect assembly can result in an increase in runout of the front brake discs. When the motorcycle has covered a considerable distance (empirical data indicates approximately 5,000 to 12,500 miles), very shallow recesses are worn into the brake discs. The effect is perceptible to the customer as pulsating brakes, and is particularly noticeable under gentle braking.
It then advises dealers to fit new discs to the front wheel, then check them for run-out. If the new discs are found out of tolerance then a new wheel would be fitted along with the discs to correct the problem.

Fix 2:
May 2008 BMW Motorrad USA issued Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 006 08 (028) There is now a new type of brake disc available with riveted on floating mounts. No longer is there need to measure run out or fit a replacement front wheel, just fit the new type of discs.

I have an '09 (Bought Dec), and I started noticing pulsing when braking at about 7K miles. A few weeks ago I took the bike to my dealer for a 12K mile service, explained the problem, and they told me after inspection that my rotors are okay!

Well, the pulsing is still there...:scratch Someone mentioned residue from the pads... is there a solution to remove the residue, or to even make sure its caused by residue?

Paul

Use some coarse garnet paper and fold it over so it rests on both sides of the rotor. Spin the wheel and "sand" the rotor lightly. I've had to do this on some automotive disk brakes and it worked OK.

Back