• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Electrical Goofs Fixed?

racer7

Anybody happen to know if BMW finally got the accessory electrical stuff right on this one?

Specifically, everything else in the line needs a fuse panel to run US heated gear for 2 because the factory outlets are limited to 10A for the ZFE.

Repeating this goof would not exactly be intelligent design for something with pretensions to be the world class touring bike. A proper capacity set of accessory outlets (and maybe even a built in panel for other accessories) ought to be standard- its more useful than a lot of the other electrical stuff that will no doubt appear on this one.

That would be wonderful - of all the things I have read so far - that has not been mentioned, or I missed it :lurk

My first question is - will the alternator support two full sets of heated gear? That needs to be the case before you can discuss how to wire things up. The K1300GT is listed with a whopping 945W, the 2009 K1200LT had 840 W. Hope BMW got this one right....

My first question is - will the alternator support two full sets of heated gear? That needs to be the case before you can discuss how to wire things up. The K1300GT is listed with a whopping 945W, the 2009 K1200LT had 840 W. Hope BMW got this one right....
Let's see -- assume high heated gear use: 15A/person? (30A total)

30Ax12V=360W 580W-360W=220W

Assume 150W bike basic loads (ignition, lights, etc.). That still leaves 70W (6A) to spare -- in the face of a *massive* heated gear load.

Doesn't sound like a huge problem to me.

Indeed. Alternator capacity is NOT an issue on any of the current road bikes of the K and R series- they make as much as many cars and plenty to power anything you might want on a bike short of it being a substitute for a 110V outlet so you can use your microwave or hair dryer.

Built in inverter for about 400W, anyone? Just in case you keep a TV or full size pc in a towed trailer?

Back