• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pulsing headlights?

So, based on my reading of this study at least, which admittedly was not an in depth hours long reading, I come to the conclusion that the evidence backing up the assertion that headlight modulation is beneficial is tenuous at best, and that all the other strategies tested (bright clothing, bright helmets, and bright lights) are far more effective.

If anyone cares to read the entire study more carefully, perhaps they will find something I missed.

Thanks Dave,

Without a doubt, you put much more time in reading the study than I did. Looking back, my primary purpose citing this study was to counter mistercincy's assertion that "no objective study has found them effective". Very petty of me, but it was objective, a study, and it found them effective. I would not dare defend the data (without more information), and therefore can't vouch for the study's conclusions. However, in my objective and exhausting study, I have noticed a huge difference in the before and after. The violations of personal space with driveway pullouts, left turns, u-tuns, lane changes and lane splitting dropped significantly. Now I realize that the statistical significance with a sample size of one is low, but it is all I got.

Thanks Dave,

Without a doubt, you put much more time in reading the study than I did.

Thank you, Scott, for posting the link to the study. I have bookmarked it, and sometime when I have the time I'm going to really read it, or at least some very interesting looking parts of it. I goes into some fascinating and likely relevant detail on some of the psycho-physiological processes involved in perception, as they pertain to us being seen. A lot of theoretical stuff, and a lot of other studies referenced.

I have toyed from time to time with installing a headlight modulator. I don't for a few reasons. I do worry about shortening headlight bulb life. And, my very bright headlight and HI-Viz jackets seem to work about as well as anything. And, as I said in a previous post, I, personally don't see a motorcycle with a pulsing headlight any sooner than one without. I am open to the possibility that this has a lot to do with me being very attuned to motorcycles, and may not be true of drivers in general.

Part of it, also, I suppose, is laziness. I haven't installed an aftermarket, really really loud (probably air) horn either. That would be my next step if I were going to do something further of a mechanical nature to save myself from an idiot in a cage.

So, I'm not saying that modulators have no value. I'm just saying that I don't personally see it enough to motivate me to get one.

If anyone takes anything away from my contributions to this thread, I would hope it would be the value of always riding with the high beam on in daylight, whether modulated or not. No mechanical installations needed, no more difficult than riding with the low beam on, and proven effective in several studies.

And, as has been said several times, none of this is a substitute for defensive (paranoid) riding.

I was riding home from work on a 35mph back road , straight no blind corners and pulled over for a local LEO, full marked Crown Vic with all lights and siren going. About 1/8 mile later a woman in a SUV turned left in front of the LEO forcing him to use very aggressive breaking. Hard to imagine she didn't see him but would have seen me.
But....................... I still use my Motolights, run-n-lites, pulsing headlight and most important, riding like I'm invisible.

... However, in my objective and exhausting study, I have noticed a huge difference in the before and after. The violations of personal space with driveway pullouts, left turns, u-tuns, lane changes and lane splitting dropped significantly. Now I realize that the statistical significance with a sample size of one is low, but it is all I got.

I have noticed the same thing in my own before / after comparison. I always ran the high light during the day before. Now I use the modulator when traffic warrants it. As others have stated, I don't use it in groups of motorcycles, on the interstate, or in stop and go traffic. In those cases it's just annoying and provides no benefit.

I always ride as though I'm invisible. I just seem to be a little less invisible with the modulator.

I have a headlight modulator installed, wear Hi-Viz, etc. But mostly, I ride like I'm invisible. I use the modulator when I have the sun at my back, etc., and it has helped. Most important, I ride like no one can see me. That and situational awareness is key to survival.
Rubber down,
Rich

I do worry about shortening headlight bulb life.

I’ve easily got over a 100 hours on my extra bright high beam (third eye of God) bulb.

Now, I have to be honest. I am not trying to change any ones mind about headlight modulators. DO NOT INSTALL ONE, IT IS A BAD IDEA. Why? Because I want to be the only one on the road with one. If you all install one, how am I going to be unique and stand out from the rest of the crowd? You have been warned. If I catch you with one, I am gonna pee on your tire.

Last edited:
Do a search and you'll find a couple of long and contentious threads on this issue. The two camps are:
  1. It pisses people off which the motorcycle community doesn't need and can't afford, disrupts traffic because people are surprised and think it might be the police, dangerously creates target fixation, is a passive safety action so is inherently not effective, makes for more light pollution on roads that are already filled with too many distractions, and no objective study has found them effective.
  2. I don't care about any of the above because I believe I'm safer.
Put me camp one. You are safest when you rely on active safety measures (i.e.., the way you ride, pay attention, and act accordingly). Passive measures, where you rely on others seeing you for your safety, can be fine, although their effectiveness has never been proven. Nobody argues that it's bad to wear Hi-Viz, white helmets, reflective stickers, etc... But you cross a line when you annoy people. And the response that "all it takes is one person to notice" is another way of saying that I have an excuse for being a poor rider and bad neighbor. I don't care if you're wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak, you are safest when you ride smart.

Rant over!:D

Put me in camp #2. If you see me, you won't hit me. I used to not have one. People didn't see me. After I got one, people saw me. That's the only factor that matters in my opinion. It's not the visual equivalent of "loud pipes save lives", because loud pipes don't save lives - but headlight modulators do. If loud pipes pointed forwards instead of backwards, and the Doppler Effect didn't exist, then loud pipes might save lives - but those limitations don't also apply to a headlight modulator.

Sure - I've had drivers pull over for me, thinking I was a cop (I am on a white RTP, after all). Heck, I've even accidentally pulled over transit buses who thought I was a cop. So what? That means they saw me. Mistakes and assumptions made after they saw me are their own problems. Maybe they'll make an effort to learn or realize that unless the flashing lights are some combination of blue and white or red and white, there is no reason to pull over.

In the mean-time, I've been spotted and avoided by other motorists thanks to my modulating headlight.

My only complaint about the modulating headlights is their use around dawn and dusk. They will come on only intermittently as the ambient light sensor tries to figure out if it's bright enough to activate the flash function, so they are essentially useless for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

How does that belief square with target fixation? :ear

I teach the pros and cons of 'target fixation' in MSF courses.

I also have been using a modulating high beam for the last five (5) years without any 'target fixation' by a motorist in response to my very obvious approach.

Any device / accessory is not relied on for safety, but simply added to my toolbox of options and behavior to be safe - SEE (Search, Evaluate, Execute) - a constant process! :thumb

I’ve easily got over a 100 hours on my extra bright high beam (third eye of God) bulb.

Now, I have to be honest. I am not trying to change any ones mind about headlight modulators. DO NOT INSTALL ONE, IT IS A BAD IDEA. Why? Because I want to be the only one on the road with one. If you all install one, how am I going to be unique and stand out from the rest of the crowd. You have been warned. If I catch you with one, I am gonna pee on your tire.

Oh crap! - OK ........... ignore all previous posts - I do not use a headlight modulator.

Should I pass thru Pleasant Hill, CA someday - please do not 'unrinate on my uniroyals!' :dunno

Any device / accessory is not relied on for safety, but simply added to my toolbox of options and behavior to be safe - SEE (Search, Evaluate, Execute) - a constant process! :thumb

I only ask the question because I find that I tend to fixate on modulating headlamps to the exclusion of other things going on around me and have to forcefully pull my attention elsewhere. So I don't like them because there is a danger to me!

But that's my problem and I recognize it as being my problem. It does leave me wondering, though, if others have the same issue. I can imagine an inattentive driver fixating on the blinking lights, forcing the rider to take action to avoid a situation that might not exist without the blinking lights.

That's just idle thought on my part. I won't use them, but don't mind if others do unless they are behind me on a group ride in which case they will either turn them off or lead instead of follow. I have pulled over and waited until a fellow rider made up his mind which he was going to do.

No amount of lights flashing or just on is going to help be seen when that on idiot on the phone behind a car stopping and final see it and you are next to them as they come into your lane to pass that stopping car. You lay on the horn and they just look at you. This happen to me today. They pass me latter and still talking on the phone. We come to a stop light and I am next to them she still did not see me come up next to her still on the phone the hole time. I honk the horn she looks with a blank stare.

Boy, am I glad I started this thread! Lots of thoughtful comments pro and con.

I don't think there is any doubt that pulsing headlights get attention, despite a lack of definitive scientific studies. The real questions are whether they may cause "target fixation" to the point that SOME oncoming motorists don't pay attention to other important matters and whether they are another reason for motorists to hate riders.

Greenwald asserts that they don't, and I'm inclined to agree with him for 4-wheelers. They think "motorcycle" and move on. Riders are either intrigued or annoyed and have to get out of that mind-set, move their vision, to see what they need to see as another poster said.

Both Greenwald and Loch Miwa make the point that there are situations where they turn the pulser off because it is not useful or indeed would be annoying. They seem to make a point I really like: there is a balance between being safe and being a visual nuisance. I would like them to elaborate on when they do and do not use their pulsing headlights. I'd also like to know how they remember to turn them on and off!

Another poster suggested running your low beams but hitting the bottom of the button several times when you think somebody may do something unfriendly. Seems like a great idea for those of us who don't want pulsing headlights. And maybe move to the right side of the lane before doing it, if you think somebody might try to pass where they shouldn't.

And, of course, as so many have said, no amount of "visibility stuff" reduces the odds of some inattentive driver snuffing you out to zero. But all of it improves our odds and reduces the number of times we have to take emergency action. We have to be aware and ready, but we are also humans too, occasionally prone to error. If we can reduce the number of times we are threatened, without ever thinking any gizmo makes us bullet proof, I think that is good.

Ain't nothing in this world that is 100% effective all the time in every situation. If your criteria for use of something is that it work 100% of the time, you should stay in bed as you will forever be disappointed.

:violin

I HATE modulators

I find them to be extremely annoying!!! Almost to the point of wanting to run them off of the road. I think that flashing lights should only be for emergency vehicles... with the exception of brake lites.

But i do wear HI VIZ riding gear, and ride like i am invisible.

I only ask the question because I find that I tend to fixate on modulating headlamps to the exclusion of other things going on around me and have to forcefully pull my attention elsewhere. So I don't like them because there is a danger to me!

But that's my problem and I recognize it as being my problem. It does leave me wondering, though, if others have the same issue. I can imagine an inattentive driver fixating on the blinking lights, forcing the rider to take action to avoid a situation that might not exist without the blinking lights.

That's just idle thought on my part. I won't use them, but don't mind if others do unless they are behind me on a group ride in which case they will either turn them off or lead instead of follow. I have pulled over and waited until a fellow rider made up his mind which he was going to do.

I won't dispute that your scenario of another rider fixating on the approach of a modulating biker is possible.

It's just that in my five years experience with modulator use, haven't perceived that to have occurred.

Enjoy whatever your ride! :thumb

Boy, am I glad I started this thread! Lots of thoughtful comments pro and con.

I don't think there is any doubt that pulsing headlights get attention, despite a lack of definitive scientific studies. The real questions are whether they may cause "target fixation" to the point that SOME oncoming motorists don't pay attention to other important matters and whether they are another reason for motorists to hate riders.

Greenwald asserts that they don't, and I'm inclined to agree with him for 4-wheelers. They think "motorcycle" and move on. Riders are either intrigued or annoyed and have to get out of that mind-set, move their vision, to see what they need to see as another poster said.

Both Greenwald and Loch Miwa make the point that there are situations where they turn the pulser off because it is not useful or indeed would be annoying. They seem to make a point I really like: there is a balance between being safe and being a visual nuisance. I would like them to elaborate on when they do and do not use their pulsing headlights. I'd also like to know how they remember to turn them on and off!

Another poster suggested running your low beams but hitting the bottom of the button several times when you think somebody may do something unfriendly. Seems like a great idea for those of us who don't want pulsing headlights. And maybe move to the right side of the lane before doing it, if you think somebody might try to pass where they shouldn't.

And, of course, as so many have said, no amount of "visibility stuff" reduces the odds of some inattentive driver snuffing you out to zero. But all of it improves our odds and reduces the number of times we have to take emergency action. We have to be aware and ready, but we are also humans too, occasionally prone to error. If we can reduce the number of times we are threatened, without ever thinking any gizmo makes us bullet proof, I think that is good.

As for the specific questions from this poster about "when I use a modulator and when not," and "how do I remember to turn them off," let me make a few comments.

I make use of modulating headlights (actually it's only the high-beam bulb on an R1200RT that flashes) in heavy, multi-lane traffic, where my little bike can easily become 'lost' in all the rushing around and jockeying for lane positions. Seems to work well getting people's attention away from their cell phones, shavers, I-pods, snack wrap, Cliff Notes, pet-grooming, etc.

If I get bogged down in 'bumper-to-bumper' mode, I shut it off - what's the sense of flashing if I'm but 10 feet from the cager ahead of me?! And of course, once traffic thins out enough, I revert back to traditional illumination - a subjective call on my part.

Hard and fast rule: I never use it if not the lead bike in a group of bikers - never blind the rider ahead of you.

I will also use it from now on in fog (learned how well they worked this past week observing them in the Smoky Mountains during thick, early morning mist) and if/when I think a motorist directly ahead of me is clueless as to my presence. It is a real attention-getter.

My Kisan was wired up to my high-beam switch when it was installed at my BMW dealer, so when they're activated, so is the blue light on my dash (high-beam indicator). Kind of hard to forget I have them on, so remembering to turn them off - not a problem. When I shut off the bike, it automatically defaults back to low-beams.

Hope this addressed some of your curiousity. Again, for me, they represent a solid advantage in certain riding scenarios, and I will always have one on whatever bike I ride.

Ride Safe! :german

I won't dispute that your scenario of another rider fixating on the approach of a modulating biker is possible.

It's just that in my five years experience with modulator use, haven't perceived that to have occurred.

Enjoy whatever your ride! :thumb

Neither has it been in my experience from the work bikes (about 1991 when the department installed them on the KZ1000P) to today in multiple states on my civilian bike.

I have also seen flashing lights (on the roof albeit) of school busses here in Louisiana and no one seems to be veering into them either.

I've been giving this gadget some thought as I see bikes with them all the time and they really are much more visible to oncoming traffic. The Motolite approach may help other motorists gauge distance and approach speed but the modulating headlight helps get their attention in the first place. Much more so than any other method. One other option is the blinking leds that attach to the fork that some vendor had at the last MOA rally. I don't remember the vendor, but they only seemed to flash when they were in your peripheral vision. Since just about all of my riding is in daylight (dark means cold, ice and snow). I guess I never found modulating headlights even the least bit annoying unless it was someone behind me in traffic.

Back