• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pulsing headlights?

BCKRider

Kbiker
Just wondered what you guys thought about them.

I'm all for making myself conspoicus. Wear a white helmet, bike has white fairings, and last summer got some orange LED things that mount near the axle to further attract attention.

Pulsing headlights, to me, are the visual equivalent of loud pipes. No question they are attention getters, but I find them annoying coming at me and even worse in my mirrors if they are following.

A non-riding friend likes them - he knows for sure it is a motorcycle coming at him.

Your opinions?

I find them irritating. You do notice the bike though. Imagine if every vehicule had them!!! :banghead

I agree with your comparison to loud pipes. Not a way to make friends.

Last edited:
I agree. Visual pollution for sure.

Legal in all 50 states by Federal rule. Don't disagree that riders have the right to use them. But they sure pi$$ people off when the bike is behind you for mile after mile.

FWIW, I have a Kisan modulator on my R1200R., Likewise, I have a Kisan Trailblazer flasher bulb in the tail light socket, as well as two 16-led Hyperlite modules that are wired to continuous flash mode when the brakes are applied.

Before adding all this, I always had cars encroaching intersections, or pulling out as I approached them. Afterward, the cars tend to say stopped and the people are looking to see what I am. This is good!

Cars to the rear now stop way back when I apply brakes, and do not creep up on my rear like they previously did. This is good too !!

I also wear a bright yellow helmet, and hi-vis lime green Motoport suit. Being visable is GOOD !

I also will switch off the headlight modulator when riding in groups unless I am the lead rider, and will do the same when on the interstates. Otherwise, I don't care if I piss of cagers as long as they see me, and stay away.

The products:
Kisan headlight modulator. This is a 4 year old model, and the newer ones, I believe, use a set of ballast resistors in place of the ballast lamp on this one:

KisanZmodulator--2.jpg

Hyper-Lite modules:
Hyper-liteflashBig.gif

Kisan taillight bulb module:
KISAN20W-DZ.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I ride, but I always see the motorcycle and identify it as such before I notice the flashing headlight if there is one. Same with those little lights down by the axle or on the engine guards. I see them, but only after I've already seen the bike.

What Does make me see a bike sooner is a very bright headlight or headlights. The brighter the better. I use an extra bright light in my headlamp when available, and always carefully aim my headlight right at eye level for oncoming traffic. I don't ride at night, so any detrimental effect this has one seeing the road doesn't matter to me. I always ride with my high beam on, and right in people's eyes. This does annoy people, but they see me. I haven't had a cager fail to see me since I started doing this, about three years and 40,000 miles ago.

I have noticed that the three across headlamp cluster cruisers use makes me see the bike sooner, but only if the lights are very bright, which they tend to be.

I don't see this as the equivalent of loud pipes at all. Loud pipes annoy everyone for blocks around. Bright headlights are specifically targeted at people who are in a position to, and often do, seriously harm us. They also aren't nearly as annoying.

I'm going to move this over to the Gear section as it's equipment for most any bike.
Headlight modulators and visibility accessories are a great topic. Gary

My old department put them on all the work bikes and the riders, including me, feel they are worth the money to install on the bikes. I have a modulator on my bike and use it in town. On the highway I run with the standard low beam. As a professional rider I like them, a lot.

Having said that, there is a proviso. One should not depend on the light to keep you safe. It is just one more tool in the effort to be seen and avoid collisions.

Do a search and you'll find a couple of long and contentious threads on this issue. The two camps are:
  1. It pisses people off which the motorcycle community doesn't need and can't afford, disrupts traffic because people are surprised and think it might be the police, dangerously creates target fixation, is a passive safety action so is inherently not effective, makes for more light pollution on roads that are already filled with too many distractions, and no objective study has found them effective.
  2. I don't care about any of the above because I believe I'm safer.
Put me camp one. You are safest when you rely on active safety measures (i.e.., the way you ride, pay attention, and act accordingly). Passive measures, where you rely on others seeing you for your safety, can be fine, although their effectiveness has never been proven. Nobody argues that it's bad to wear Hi-Viz, white helmets, reflective stickers, etc... But you cross a line when you annoy people. And the response that "all it takes is one person to notice" is another way of saying that I have an excuse for being a poor rider and bad neighbor. I don't care if you're wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak, you are safest when you ride smart.

Rant over!:D

Mrcindy seems to have it all in a nutshell, couldn't be better said! I will add one thing though...loud pipes do NOTHING to save lives! In a buttoned up cage, you can't hear them unless they are next to you, and by then, it's all too late!

If one decides to use a headlight modulator, I think that the on-off switch is an important component...there are times where it would obviously be better off left off, and then turned back on, in say, heavy traffic situations...also, it becomes a thinking thing and the rider doesn't automatically depend on the gadget for his own safety.

I'm always VERY cognizant of cross traffic, and traffic turning left across my path, and in those situations, I cover the dimmer switch so I can manually modulate my headlight if I have any doubt that the cager might not see me...Yes, there are those situations where I might miss the signs, but that's what riding is...accepting a certain amount of risk for a certain amount of pleasure...

Maybe it's because I ride, but I always see the motorcycle and identify it as such before I notice the flashing headlight if there is one. Same with those little lights down by the axle or on the engine guards. I see them, but only after I've already seen the bike.

What Does make me see a bike sooner is a very bright headlight or headlights. The brighter the better. I use an extra bright light in my headlamp when available, and always carefully aim my headlight right at eye level for oncoming traffic. I don't ride at night, so any detrimental effect this has one seeing the road doesn't matter to me. I always ride with my high beam on, and right in people's eyes. This does annoy people, but they see me. I haven't had a cager fail to see me since I started doing this, about three years and 40,000 miles ago.

I have noticed that the three across headlamp cluster cruisers use makes me see the bike sooner, but only if the lights are very bright, which they tend to be.

I don't see this as the equivalent of loud pipes at all. Loud pipes annoy everyone for blocks around. Bright headlights are specifically targeted at people who are in a position to, and often do, seriously harm us. They also aren't nearly as annoying.

+1

Ralph Sims

Are you concerned that your bright light, aimed directly at their eye level, may prevent them from seeing other hazards? Or even make it difficult to judge just how far away your are or how quickly you are approaching?

Now about the proper engine oil .........

:hide

:laugh

No need for a discussion as we, who have gotten religion about motor oil, (the TRUTH) already know the answer. The unconverted heathens will never change their opinion just because we show them the facts. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Are you concerned that your bright light, aimed directly at their eye level, may prevent them from seeing other hazards? Or even make it difficult to judge just how far away you are or how quickly you are approaching?

No. I don't rely on the cager to judge my speed. As long as he/she sees me, my chances of survival get better. If it's a question of timing my arrival at a point where someone looks like they're turning left in front of me, I'll slow down or speed up to avoid any potential conflict. Yes, I actually do this as normal practice. People turning out of side roads and parking lots are about as much of a hazard as left turners in my view. That's what caused the one accident I've had, and it's why I do what I do. They don't have to judge my speed with any degree of precision, but I want them to know I'm there.

Bright as my headlight is, even in someone's eyes, it won't blind them to other road hazards. I've gone out in front of my bike and looked at it myself from car seat height. Actually, doing that a few times is how I aim it. It's bright enough to be annoying, definitely gets attention, but I have never seen any indication that it causes a hazard.

Since I'm making another post in this thread anyway, I'd like to agree that no visibility strategy is a substitute for defensive riding, as has been pointed out by others above. I also wear a HI VIZ motorcycle jacket and white helmet along with my bright headlight. But I still ride like I'm invisible.

I don't like headlight modulators because I find myself focusing so singlemindedly on them that I fail to notice things like the bike's turn signals, decreasing speed, cross traffic, etc. When I encounter one I have to force myself to look elsewhere.

The hyper light brake lights are OK. They do work to keep people back.
The modulating headlight has not caught on in Qu?®bec. I have only seen one on the road (GW). Hope they stay rare.

In a multi vehicle accident involving a motorcycle verses a car, what statement is most likely said by the driver of the car?

ÔÇ£I didnÔÇÖt see them?ÔÇØ

This problem is not limited just to the US. I stole this from a UK web siteÔÇØ

The acronym SMIDSY, short for "sorry mate, I didn't see you", is used by British and Australian motorcyclists and cyclists to describe collisions in which a car driver fails to perceive a two-wheel user (see motorcycle safety). It is estimated by the UK Department of Transport that SMIDSY incidents account for around 25% of all motorcycle accidents.

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.tzzzpzkzubqfioim&pageId=252282

I was kinda surprised to hear it was only 25%, but even at that, something to consider.

There are other factors at play here. We have all been in the situation where we have made eye contact with a driver, only to have them pull out in front of you. They were looking in your direction, but failed to see you. Here is an interesting article on Motion Camouflage

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.twhhyjzpxapzkouq&pageId=146841

So even responsible drivers are dangerous, what about the distracted ones? You know, the guy/gal on the phone, yelling at the kids in the back seat, eating, reading the newspaper, doing their nails (no kidding, I have witnessed the last two first hand). That stuff gives me nightmares.

What can be done to reduce the risk in a risky sport when faced with the above situations? SEE (search, evaluate, and execute) is recommended by the MSF. Defensive riding, circle of safety, exit routes, riding like you are invisible are also necessary. Most if all experienced riders would place visibility high on this list. Bright protective reflective riding gear, white, or bright colored helmet, safety vest, high beams are also helpful. And headlight modulators.

I have been using the Kisan headlight modulator for 5 years now, covering about 75,000 miles (yeah, weak, but the wife pushed out two rug rats during that time). Crossed the country with it, used it all over North America (sans Mexico). Three times I have heard the ÔÇ£You know you headlight is flashingÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Yeah, it makes me more visible. Hope it didnÔÇÖt bother youÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Nah, but we did notice you from far awayÔÇØ.

It pisses people off which the motorcycle community doesn't need and can't afford, disrupts traffic because people are surprised and think it might be the police, dangerously creates target fixation, is a passive safety action so is inherently not effective, makes for more light pollution on roads that are already filled with too many distractions, and no objective study has found them effective.
Rant over!:D
I humbly disagree. If we were to poll Joe/Jane Driver, I would be stunned to find headlight modulators on their list of motorcycle complaints. I have yet to meet anyone that my modulators have turned into a raving bundle of rage, or leave a swath of chaos and destruction in my wake. The University of Michigan did a study that determined:

The results of the study indicate that daytime conspicuity can be significantly improved by:
1. Causing the headlamp to modulate at a rate of about 3 hz.
2. Riding with the headlamp on.
3. Wearing high visibility (fluorescent) garments.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/487/2/43121.0001.001.pdf

I use one to lower me a step on the ladder of risk. Personally, I think it makes me look like a dork, but know that my family and friends would be bummed out if I became roadkill.

Boingo:

I just read through the entire study you quoted last in your post above. Skimmed parts of it really, as it's over 100 pages long. I was looking for data supporting the conclusion that a pulsating headlight is an effective countermeasure, which the study does assert, twice.

The only direct, test related data that I found in the study was the following:

"A recent study by Ramsey & Brinkley (1977) examined the conspicuity of strobe and flashing lights . The researchers found that other motorists , when stopped and asked whether they saw a motorcycle they had just passed, noticed motorcycles equipped with a medium-to high - intensity flashing light more often than motorcycles with no or low-intensity lights."

This experiment didn't test modulation independent of light intensity.

Other studies cited in this study found pretty much universally that headlight intensity is a highly determining factor in visibility to other motorists.

Without citing any raw data, there also was an assertion that any advantage obtained by headlight pulsing disappeared in the presence of other pulsing lights, like turn signals on other vehicles, for example.

In pretty much every table and conclusion, headlight modulation as an effective countermeasure came in last, significantly after high visibility clothing and helmets, and headlight brightness or brightness in contrast to surroundings.

So, based on my reading of this study at least, which admittedly was not an in depth hours long reading, I come to the conclusion that the evidence backing up the assertion that headlight modulation is beneficial is tenuous at best, and that all the other strategies tested (bright clothing, bright helmets, and bright lights) are far more effective.

If anyone cares to read the entire study more carefully, perhaps they will find something I missed.

I do agree that, from my own subjective observation, a modulated headlight is not disturbing to other motorists, and does no harm. I do wonder if it wears out the bulb faster, though.

As a possibly informative anecdote, I had an "eye opening" experience a few years ago. I passed an oncoming Gold Wing equipped with what must have been a home made device. It was about 16 or 18 inches across and maybe 8 or so inches high, flat, and mounted on the front of the fairing above the headlight. It consisted of several rows of very bright L.E.D.s, and was programed so that the lights pulsated, I would almost have to say explosively, in an outward pattern from the center to the right and left edges. It was almost like POW POW POW. I saw that thing coming about a half mile away, long before I had any idea what it was. It had all the elements of perception cited in the above referenced study: very high brightness, pulsation, and movement. To this day I wish I had turned around and chased that guy down and found out where he got that thing or how he made it. I can't imagine anyone not seeing him!

In a multi vehicle accident involving a motorcycle verses a car, what statement is most likely said by the driver of the car?

ÔÇ£I didnÔÇÖt see them?ÔÇØ

I have a friend in CA who is a first responder. They have had people run into a fire truck which had its lights and sirens on.

Food for thought about relying on others to see you.

Wouldn't ride without a modulator.

Only use it when mixing it up in heavy traffic - I can actually notice other motorists seeing me and giving me some extra room - nice to be noticed.

Came thru some early morning fog in Kentucky last week - had a bike coming from the opposite direction using a modulating headlight - boy, did he/she stand out! - much more than my PIAA's did. Will add "heavy fog" to my small laundry list of when to use the device.

Don't use it when not the Alpha male in a pack of bikes, or when bumper-to-bumper with cages.

I find it a safety accessory that, employed prudently, improves my survivability on the road. :thumb

Not everyone's 'cup of tea' - so what else is new?!

Back