• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Maps!

C

criminaldesign

Well it doesn't want to load the image, try and this imagine visually: WV Delorme Map

http://geology.com/store/delorme-atlas/covers/west-virginia.jpg

My traveling companion. This puppy is for the most part dead on mapping. I've found a couple incorrect county numbers but otherwise it's good to go and very extensive road mapping. Also have on for Ohio and recently picked one up for VA.

This map aids in all day travels where I at times I don't even make it 30 miles from the house.

2 lanes, 1 lane holler roads, maintenance roads, gravel roads that take you over great ridges and straight up dead ends, I mark them off on the map and go find the next one road to explore.

I love using paper maps and trying to figure out where you are. It's a great feeling to totally get turned around and figure your way out of the box. Plus it gives you a reason to stop, have a smoke, take some pix (I rarely do anymore, pix all start looking the same).

Anyways, I don't ride an off road bike but that don't stop me... unless a big muddy water hole blocks my way.

Whats your riding map? h

Would you happen to have the US Mil Spec made in Beverly Mass Lensatic compass with the glow like the moon dial to go with that excellent publication? It is kinda neat to find your way out of the valley with a compass and contour lines :thumb Gary

Well it doesn't want to load the image, try and this imagine visually: WV Delorme Map

Here is the image you were trying to provide:

west-virginia.jpg

My traveling companion. This puppy is for the most part dead on mapping. I've found a couple incorrect county numbers but otherwise it's good to go and very extensive road mapping. Also have on for Ohio and recently picked one up for VA.

This map aids in all day travels where I at times I don't even make it 30 miles from the house.

2 lanes, 1 lane holler roads, maintenance roads, gravel roads that take you over great ridges and straight up dead ends, I mark them off on the map and go find the next one road to explore.

I love using paper maps and trying to figure out where you are. It's a great feeling to totally get turned around and figure your way out of the box. Plus it gives you a reason to stop, have a smoke, take some pix (I rarely do anymore, pix all start looking the same).

Anyways, I don't ride an off road bike but that don't stop me... unless a big muddy water hole blocks my way.

Whats your riding map? h

Nice!

I'll confess that I'll use the maps for a little planning but rely on the GPS in the woods.

I like to do what I call "VMG" routing. VMG stands for Velocity Made Good, it's a term we use when racing offshore and the weather prevents you from steering a course directly toward your destination.

I like to pick a destination or general direction and then at every intersection choose which way to go based on what I think will give me the best VMG toward my "mark".

Given the roads / trails I'm using only show up on the GPS at 800ft scale it is often a gamble whichi is part of the fun. Sometimes I'll say "let's go ride the 800's" and take whatever comes our way.

love delorme... it is great for figuring out where you are when you have to zoom the GPS in too far to get the bigger picture. i used to use their computer mapping software, too, until GPS became graphical and routes became plottable. then garmin cornered the market with their sucky mapsource. fortunately it is all coming back around again with .gpx

a recent dual-sport ride through the Land between the Lakes in TN/KY took trails that weren't on the GPS. i felt naked. :p

1007948369_MnQsU-L.jpg

love delorme... it is great for figuring out where you are when you have to zoom the GPS in too far to get the bigger picture. i used to use their computer mapping software, too, until GPS became graphical and routes became plottable. then garmin cornered the market with their sucky mapsource. fortunately it is all coming back around again with .gpx

Ian,

The Delorme software comes with the converters to load files directly into most if not all GPS units, however the routing sometimes gets a little funky.

Plus 1 on the .GPX. It's a great standard. I can do a route Street Atlas, save it as a .GPX and the GPS follows it faithfully.

Ian,

The Delorme software comes with the converters to load files directly into most if not all GPS units, however the routing sometimes gets a little funky.

this was years ago when getting routes plotted on a computer into your GPS was black magic.

Plus 1 on the .GPX. It's a great standard. I can do a route Street Atlas, save it as a .GPX and the GPS follows it faithfully.

i am having issues related to Mac vs. PC using garmin software. I am still on the 276C, which has 512 meg of memory for storing detailed base maps. If i load those base maps from my PC and then plot a route on my Mac, when downloaded to the GPS and try to ride the route, the GPS displays a "route doesn't match the maps" error and wants to recalculate. in the process or recalculating, all the cool detours i had planned are lost. stupid GARMIN!

things are getting better, though. maybe one day, everything will be transportable. heck, i'd love to be able to trace a road on the Delorme atlas and have that build as a route that can be put on the GPS!

If all you want to do is load routes and waypoints any version of delorme should work, set the interface to NEMA.

Even so the issues you're having with truncated routes will continue. My work around is to create a bunch of waypoints with sequential names, transfer them to the GPS and build the route in the unit.

I'm so happy with the DeLorme (and so unhappy with garmin) that I'm retiring my GPSmap 276C, replacing it with a DeLorme PN-60 (not the one with SPOT). Yeah, the screen is 1/2 the size. Yeah, it doesn't turn on/off with bike power (I think.... haven't actually hooked it up yet but it doesn't turn on/off when external power is switched on my desk). Don't care. The plusses outweigh the minuses.

I've got the California version of the Atlas and Gazetteer. Route planning starts there, then moves to Topo 9 after I've got a good idea for a destination and a route.

I use Michelin & Delorme maps to lay out a route and the Zumo 450 to find gas, food, and lodging. I like to write out a route on paper and slip those directions under the plastic panel on my tank bag. Delorme software allows me to print out detailed topographical maps that I carry with me when traveling to areas new to me. The recent purchase of a Microsoft GPS and software package that utilizes a laptop might alter/improve my route planning while on a trip. For less than $100 you can have a GPS with a large screen using your laptop. Planning a route using maps, GPS, and travel guides help me to decide on what I want to see and where camping is available. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I've traveled to all 77 counties of Oklahoma without a GPS... I love my DeLORME map, but really i look at it before i go and leave it at home. I have taken the DeLORME with me on a couple trips but have never used it. I tend to look at google maps a lot before i go and zoom in. For the most part i use an ol' state map, sometimes print a google map. Doing all the counties... i changed my mind a lot on the road with no problem.

For the record i use a GPS all the time when visiting other cities, of course those times were when i was driving a cage, but still a great tool for the urban environment.

Pete in OKC, OK

DeLorme is great, but good golly, could they make the print any smaller? I will it as tool to find certain roads then to to Bing or Google maps for a better sense of what the route holds. I am looking forward to the large print edition. :)

Back