• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Ear or Big Ripoff?

Just a few random thoughts....I was looking at earphones at one of the rally's, I think it was in Johnson City, anyway I stopped by the booth of Big Ear and talked with them briefly. Just my thoughts, but I did not like their attitude, seems like they never gave a straight answer to my questions, and and acted like they were the experts on everything, and I was a fool for asking questions, and I was an idiot if I purchased anything else. I guess I should mention that I'm a salesman, so I may be a little sensitive to poor sales tactics. Well to say the least, I did not buy Big Ears. My suggestion would be to forgot about them, chalk it up to experience, and buy some earphones from Arizona Al. Al does a great job, stands behind his product, and is less money.

Steve

Big Ear Shipping Department

performs about like the rest of the company. Big Ear, Inc CEO Glenn Hood stated on Oct 8 that the unrepaired ear plugs would be returned to me. Several emails to Glenn Hood have not been responded to, despite his solicitous responses when he thought he was getting ~$80 for a "repair". A note was sent to the "customer service" department, and I will wait a few days to see if there is any response there.

Anyway, three weeks later, they haven't arrived. Unfortunately, for ~$350 this is devolving into a small claims court case. The joys of caveat emptor.

Greg on a borrowed computer.

Ear Plugs

Any thoughts on how to get Big Ear to return the plugs? Any recommendations appreciated.

I read these posts with interest as me and my husband had nothing but problems with Big Ear. The first set they sent me simply did not fit. Even though they were custom molded at one of their vendor sites the set they sent me were obviously made for someone else, they didn't fit my husband either, so who knows who they were made for. Also, this was after 3 months of waiting for them. Then when I finally got a remolded set that fit, the connector cord would cut out, and only work if I physically held it tight against the plug-in on the tank (this was on my Harley, that I had prior to my BMW). Big Ear was out of the connection piece, but kindly told me where I could go buy one like it online. That cost me $50. Finally sent a replacement six months later. So, now I was 9 months into this and still did not have a working unit. It would cause a near migraine with the cutting in and out. Left ear never did work well. Calls and emails ignored. Oh well, no more Harley, no more Big Ear. VERY satisfied with our Scala G4 com systems!

I too have had nothing but problems with static in the left ear. I bought the ones (more money) that were supposed to be more quite. What a joke. Every ralley I have been to, including the BMWMOA in Redmond Or. I walk up to the Big Ear booth to state my problem and they say to call a different number because Big Ear has reorganized and a different company is now handling complaints/repairs????? This was also the case at the Big Ear booth at the Bavarian Mountain Bash in Sipapoo New Mexico.

I am sure these are manufactured and repaired some where in the Orient. Hence the reason for such costly repair. Do I think this company is a ripoff. Your damn right I do.

Jack

I realize this thread is about ear buds, but will interject that my experience with the BBB is , that you are wasting your time! It is an inbreed organization , funded by the people that participate and if you have reached the point of using them, having tried all the ways a reasonable person might try, then you are better served by a small claims court effort or(I hate to say this-it really pains me and is against every fiber of my existence!) but you might need a lawyer. The tendency is, that the business,acting as the "expert" in all matter pertaining to them has all the knowledge of what is the right way to serve you and that the consumers ignorant approach is just plain wrong. The experience of two separate occassions in two different cities has taught me to not waste my time with them.

Bbb

The BBB works, period. Several years ago, I had my house (built in 1930) insulated with the latest and greatest, cellulosic material. Attic, walls, under the crawl space, everywhere that could be insulated.

The material curled (crowned is the word the floor guy used) the red pine floor boards. I was worried that the original floors were ruined, and took the insulator to the BBB for not warning me of this possibility after repeated assurances that they had done similar homes, and for correcting the damage they caused.

They refused to accept the responsibility for the floors, but did refund the full cost of the insulating work, which was enough to have the floors repaired.

Similarly, Big Ear was not budging on my devices prior to the intervention of the BBB. They were not returning the devices repaired or not repaired. They had stated that they would return the devices unrepaired, but they hadn't done so after 3 weeks. Asking after the status of the devices, they refused to respond to or acknowledge any communication from me at all.

On the day that I reported Big Ear, Inc to the Colorado Springs, CO police department for theft, they responded to the BBB notification with a proposal to send me the repaired devices for $25. While this sounded like a ransom since they had refused to communicate with me after having promised to return them unrepaired and not doing so. But I have them back, and in 2.4 years, or sooner since they only lasted a year this time, I will try someone else.

But the BBB (or maybe a call from the police?) came through again. They work if you keep up with them.

But I sent the $25 to get the devices back, which I did thanks to the BBB.

Interesting thread. I've no dog in the Big Ear fight, but can vouch for the service of Westone. Had some custom earphones made through an audiologist several years ago, twice one or the other phone has gotten clogged with ear goo. Sent 'em back to Westone, they replaced the whatsits (filters?) and sent the phones back overnight, no charge.

Am now using a pair of Arizona Al phones. They work fine. I switched because the Westone right phone kept falling out after I bought a new helmet. Al carved out a bit of foam which freed up my ears inside the helmet...he explained that if the helmet flattens the ear, it changes the shape of the ear canal...in other words, I could have just modified the helmet foam very slightly and the Westones would not have fallen out. I had no issue with paying Al for his phones, given he solved my problem.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is Al and Westone are both quality customer service acts.

No issues just bought a 2nd pair

I've had no issues with Big Ear, in fact I just bought a 2nd pair. I don't expect my current pair to last forever, motorcycling is hard on things. I bought the 2nd pair so I'd never be without a pair when I eventually have to send my current pair in for service. These are flat out the most comfortable ear buds I've ever had. I've spoken with the owner, hard to believe you're dealing with the same company.

I've had no issues with Big Ear, in fact I just bought a 2nd pair. I don't expect my current pair to last forever, motorcycling is hard on things. I bought the 2nd pair so I'd never be without a pair when I eventually have to send my current pair in for service. These are flat out the most comfortable ear buds I've ever had. I've spoken with the owner, hard to believe you're dealing with the same company.

Welcome to the forum!
FWIW, this thread is 7 years old. Sounds like the service has improved.
Enjoy the forum. Any questions, just ask.
Gary

Welcome to the forum! I purchased my second set of Big Ear ear plugs at the St. Paul rally. I was told that the ear changes and/or the plugs wear a bit. I can attest to that as my first set don't fit nearly as tight or are as quiet as the second set. They fit comfortably, can wear them all day long. I like them! :thumb

Welcome to the forum! I purchased my second set of Big Ear ear plugs at the St. Paul rally. I was told that the ear changes and/or the plugs wear a bit. I can attest to that as my first set don't fit nearly as tight or are as quiet as the second set. They fit comfortably, can wear them all day long. I like them! :thumb

That is true. Your ear canal can change due to weight loss or gain, as well as an illness. Depending on the individual as little as 5 lbs. weight change can have an effect on the shape of your ear canal. Lightly squeeze your throat under your jaw, as if being choked. You can feel the pull in your ear.
FWIW, I sold custom plugs for 18+ years as The Earplug Company.

I've had thier products for over 10 years (both ear plugs and stereo plugs) I've had the wax build up and cleaned them. They have cracked once (plastic ones so that proves how long I've had them) and work out several cords ( daily use with long length jackets) I think the world of both sets and they (Big Ear) have been nothing but helpful. I've had to pay for the repairs, cause things wear out. So IMHO, Big Ear is JUST fine.

Tom Casey
1975 R75/6 Ole yeller
2006 R12RT Big red

Back