• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why I love the GS, a photo essay

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
My first GS was an F650 Dakar. What a great bike, I really liked the rotax single. We used to joke that the way to get the most out of it was to "ride it like you hate it", i.e. on the gas hard all the time. :laugh

I liked it so much that last month I bought a 03 F650 GSD which my son will ride to Bloomsburg and Camp Gears. :dance

1017967575_xdQLK-X3.jpg

In 2003 I pretty much rode my K11LT into the ground on the Iron Butt Rally.

It's a long story but I met Max Stratton of Max BMW Motorcycles when he got to his new shop and I was sleeping on the lawn while the techs and a friend of mine were trying to get the formerly mighty K11 into shape to finish the rally.

After the rally I needed a new bike and I figured I'd give Max a shot at being my dealer. I wanted to try a GS so I got a R1150 Adventure thinking this would be the perfect all around bike and a good platform for a LD rally bike.

I loved that GS, it had me jumping for joy!

5394164_3whDp-M.jpg

I had a great time with that bike in 2004, met the love of my life too!
Yup, she rides a GS!

842798445_mjcW4-M.jpg

Wide open spaces out west, I love it!

6644322_Wxax4-M.jpg

Got really high in Colorado with the AdvRiders!

6646635_WgrWQ-M.jpg

Into the woods of New England...

4298479_pF6Nv-M.jpg

Then I "tarted it all up" for the 2005 Iron Butt Rally.

32759264_3qLQ3-M-1.jpg

Along the way I found a sweet 84 I can call my own.

234042032_CuMqf-M.jpg

Like the K bike before it the IBR was pretty hard on the bike. I suppose the day in the desert at wfo might have had something to do with my having to adjust the valves in a hotel parking lot in Virgina two days later. :whistle

That fall I bought a new 06. The leap from the 1150 to the 1200 was huge, I loved that bike!

363618648_Kxt3j-M.jpg

Last year I put a Ural sidecar on a 02 1150GSA and took my son from Bristol, RI to Portland Oregon for his freshman year of college.

622188770_QPqZe-M.jpg

622202787_na7Um-M.jpg

We even worked in some Forest Service roads from Colorado to Moab!

624352456_DWhMj-M.jpg

Oregon!

642494615_M8qPv-M.jpg

This August in a moment of stupid human tricks I pranged up my 06 enough to total it; it really doesn't take much when you pooch a landing and lowside into a wall....

The bike was replaced with a 2010 Adventure from the press pool. FWIW, if you can find such a bike the deal is phenominal, big discount, first service done for taking a bike with 500 miles and a couple of scratches on the engine guard.

I haven't stopped long enough to take any photos of that one but it does make a really good wood hauler!

998797286_vqZQi-M.jpg

Viva the GS!

Great story

Some guys have all the luck. Your wife rides a GS too! I really enjoyed the story as well as the pictures.

It's nice to see the pictures over the years, I have trouble keeping count of all the bikes you have ridden. It's nice to have choices.

I had the chain saw strapped to the back of my 1150GS this weekend, took all back roads up to Lancaster, NH. Stayed at my camp and cut some firewood. Nice ride home on Sunday.

Lots of funny looks, I told one fellow at a gas station, that if I can't find a trail, I'll make my own.

THX Rob;

Nice pics. My Son in Law also rides a F650Dakar,03, Daughter, a F650ST oldie. Me, the '07GSA1200. Good luck with all your do'ins. Wish I had the funds to do a sidecar rig and an extra bike! Randy:usa

AWesome. Just jumping on a sidecar isnt all that easy, but I think the 1150 is a very solid platform to hang one off of?

AWesome. Just jumping on a sidecar isnt all that easy, but I think the 1150 is a very solid platform to hang one off of?

No it isn't easy to just "jump in." I built the rig over the winter, took the MSF sidecar course and rode from New England to the National in Johnson City with ballast before taking my son cross country.

For many the 1150 has proven to be a great tug. I bought a 50k Adv with what I thought was good maintenance but the motor went bad at the end of my trip. I then bought a motor off a wreck which now has a bottom end issue. I'm paying the price for trying to save money and it's not working. I'm going to sort it out over the winter.

Back