• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GT: everyone loves it; what am I missing?

Interesting last two comments. Actually, I own a Harley Sportster 1200 Roadster (rubber mount) that has been "worked." It puts out 90hp on the dyno and is a blast to ride. I'm not looking for that in a touring bike...just a little bit of it. I bought the GT immediately after returning from a cross-country trip two years ago on my 1150 RT, after realizing how slow it was on the wide open roads of the west. In one state with no speed limit, the RT ran out of steam at about 110 indicated. I wanted more and I also wanted cruise control so I went for the GT. It meets both those needs handily. Like I said, I'd just like a little taste of streetfighter out of it, too. Perhaps an Akro exhaust and a chip...

Aaahhh, you've been spoiled by the '98-04 K12RS/GT series, and that's coloring your appreciation of the K12/13GT series. The brick GTs were a pinnacle in BMW development and production-- the smoothest 4cyl machines ever built, the best transmission BMW has EVER built, and the last of the really great BMW styling before everything went angular and Japanese. Plenty of power for sport-touring use but just a bit too much weight and not quite enough luggage space.

Is that what's troubling you, Bucky? :) I understand, since I own a '04GT along with a 2010 K13GT. The brick K has been converted into a sidecar rig and I've moved on to the newer GT, but even so the brick K still has the look of a sexy woman begging to be taken for a ride and still brings a smile anytime I do so. In fact, part of the SC deal was that I'd get to go shopping for a replacement and I actually had a deal made on a used red 04GT with a BMW dealer, but when I went down with my wife to look at the bike she marched over to the red K13GT and announced that this was the bike I should be buying. I never argue with my wife, who is clearly a keeper... But, I digress.

During my initial miles on the K13 I felt a little bit like you do, wondering where was the sudden "pop", the "burst of flavor" that would differentiate this machine from it's predecessors. It wasn't until after break-in and a chance to really turn the bike loose in my normal riding environment that I came to appreciate that the K13GT covers all aspects of "sport-touring" so well that it deceives you, much like a pro ball player who executes his task so cleanly and with such nonchalance that it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Once I began to understand that about the new K I started having that same grin, that same "one last look back" at the bike after parking it on return from a good run.

The KGT is made for covering lotsa miles in short time and with exuberance, well away from the freeways. If that doesn't describe your normal riding environment it is entirely possible you might not get the full experience. There might be other bikes--like the new Triumph Sprint GT-- that better fit your search for riding Nirvana and I wish you luck in getting there.

For me, the only question remaining on the slant-K series is whether or not they will exhibit the same reliability as the brick K, especially north of 100k... but that's an entirely different discussion.

Best,

GTRider

Last edited:
HMMM. i just opened a thread: "a Hankerin'". maybe i was in the wrong place. i fantasize about a K12GT, and i am not certain of why... perhaps the look alone i find kinda great? artful and sleek. not that that's a reason to buy a bike, ANY bike. i live in South Central PA where there are PLENTY of back roads, mountain twistys and long lonely straight valley runs, along with your typical slabs and US hiways...

i currently own an 88 K100 and a 93 R100RS. both of which ROCK (for their age).
i like to ride reasonably fast and lay the bike over in the turns. i like to get my GF on the bike and do a 900 mile weekend or so, several times a summer... tho i haven't, as of yet, toured truly "cross country", i don't rule it out- in fact it is something i eventually plan to do. the K1200 GT seems perfect, if not cumbersome about town.

you should all check out my thread which basically asks about the differences between the 06 and 07 K1200 GT... but MAY have also been intended to spark some discussion in general about old V new, etc.

Back