Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weight: what were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

I cannot ride two up on a RR, the current S is not in the same category of bike as the 1000RR..it truly is not...and 8500RPM redline as shown on the homepage dash shot of the new 6 seems pretty weak compared to my S's current 11K . Unless they are mapping the GT different than the GTL...and the pic is of a GTL. I like the RR, but it doesn't do what my S does...now an transition to a 6 cylinder S...well heck yeah...if it revs a tad higher than the Tourers

Anyways, back to our program...
    You know what the torque curve on it is like, right?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    You know what the torque curve on it is like, right?
    will reserve judgement until I get to pilot one

I am sure it will be way plenty on the power curve. Our current S's command a lot of respect and I give it!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Speaking of it's weight, is it true that the GTL will not have reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by BASSGUYDAVE View Post
    Speaking of it's weight, is it true that the GTL will not have reverse?
    Yes, no reverse -- no way to do it like they did on the K12LT (using the starter motor by extending the motor shaft out the rear of the starter into the tranny). The starter motor and the gear train arrangements are just in the wrong positions.

Maybe they could have added a dedicated reverse electric motor, but I'm having a hard time seeing where they could drop it in, where it wouldn't interfere with the engine's rotation or won't interfere with the rider's legs, the frame, or other engine components.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

What is the payload capacity of the beast? I have yet to see it.

The weight is one thing. You can deal with that with where and how you park the thing. When it is moving it should have the balance handling and grunt required to move down the road with relative ease and alacrity. If it does not have the payload capacity required for two up touring whatÔÇÖs the point?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    What is the payload capacity of the beast? I have yet to see it.
    From the bmwlt site -- as much as the K12LT:

Allowable load (max):

GTL: 212 kg / 467 lb
    GT: 221 kg / 487 lb
    LT: 213 kg / 470 lb
    RT: 236 kg / 520 lb (includes the weight of the cases!)
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

I don't really see the weight of this beast as much of an issue, since it is really competing against the Gold Wing and big Harleys, etc., all of which are ever heavier, right?

I don't particularly like bikes this heavy, but if I had to tour 2-up all the time, I would definitely give one a try. For now, my R1200GS does everything I need.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

TONY2733

It is all about where the weight is !!!!

I had an 06 Wing and it was actually much heavier than a K1200GT I tried but the Wing was much more secure and easy to manage then the GT.
    Weight management was better on the Wing.

I ended up with a 2007RT which was light and managable beyond any other sport tourer on the market.

Now I just replaced my 2007RT with a 2011RT, things have just improved especially with the Bluetooth radio option.

I know this is a BMW forum but my thinking is if I was interested in a 4 or 6 cyl.
    sport tourer I would go Japanese. For me the character of a BMW is the boxer engine. I hope the new BMW 6 cyl. will prove me wrong.

k1300gt is history?

the salesman at my local said the 1600gt +gtl are replacing the k1300gt and Lt with the new lineup, I don`t care for the looks of the new bike or the new generation gt`s either, looks aren`t everthing as they say but the Beemers need to put more into the cosmetics as they are getting very pricey. I`d like to see better aerodynamics ,windshilds that are designed to keep the wind off of you,seats that are comfortable and help out on the longer rides and esa is very expensive and you wind up paying for it so you can get the other options that you need and want.i do like the headlight that the new gt has for safety!

Smile 1300gt

I've owned HD Ultra Classic & Road King plus BMW LT & Gold Wings. Now own a 2010 BMW 1300GT. In my opinion this bike is by far the most powerful, well designed, well balanced bike of them all. My only issue is the seat. Need to improve seat comfort (softer) for us older riders.

I think BMW is going to sell a lot of these sixes, and weight is not going to be a factor for the target audience.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

mathew_hennessy
    Rumors are, in USA at least, only the folks with deposits will have a crack at getting one of these in spring, and there won't be general availability until _AFTER_ the summer?!

I'm actually looking to get a tourer with a warranty, and was hoping to at least be able to consider this bike, but I'll probably end up with the Connie. Perhaps when that bike's warranty runs out I'd consider a debugged K16 if I'm living within free tow range of a BMW dealer

seat height v. weight

I think the fact that the new K16 has a lower seat height, 29 inches is a bigger factor than its weight. I'm sure many people, like me, will be delighted to see a lower bike.

Quote Originally Posted by schulzlaw View Post
    I think the fact that the new K16 has a lower seat height, 29 inches is a bigger factor than its weight. I'm sure many people, like me, will be delighted to see a lower bike.
    I got a call from Motorrad, wanting to know if I wanted the standard seat or the lower seat on my ordered GT. I don't remember the heights she mentioned, but the lower setting of the standard seat is 0.1" higher than the same setting on my RT. Does the GTL have a lower seat as standard?

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    I got a call from Motorrad, wanting to know if I wanted the standard seat or the lower seat on my ordered GT. I don't remember the heights she mentioned, but the lower setting of the standard seat is 0.1" higher than the same setting on my RT. Does the GTL have a lower seat as standard?

- Kate
    According to a review I read, the GTL does have a lower seat.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.