• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weight: what were they thinking?

What is the payload capacity of the beast? I have yet to see it.
From the bmwlt site -- as much as the K12LT:

Allowable load (max):

GTL: 212 kg / 467 lb
GT: 221 kg / 487 lb
LT: 213 kg / 470 lb
RT: 236 kg / 520 lb (includes the weight of the cases!)

I don't really see the weight of this beast as much of an issue, since it is really competing against the Gold Wing and big Harleys, etc., all of which are ever heavier, right? :dunno

I don't particularly like bikes this heavy, but if I had to tour 2-up all the time, I would definitely give one a try. For now, my R1200GS does everything I need. :)

It is all about where the weight is !!!!

I had an 06 Wing and it was actually much heavier than a K1200GT I tried but the Wing was much more secure and easy to manage then the GT.
Weight management was better on the Wing.

I ended up with a 2007RT which was light and managable beyond any other sport tourer on the market.

Now I just replaced my 2007RT with a 2011RT, things have just improved especially with the Bluetooth radio option.

I know this is a BMW forum but my thinking is if I was interested in a 4 or 6 cyl.
sport tourer I would go Japanese. For me the character of a BMW is the boxer engine. I hope the new BMW 6 cyl. will prove me wrong.:bikes

k1300gt is history?

the salesman at my local said the 1600gt +gtl are replacing the k1300gt and Lt with the new lineup, I don`t care for the looks of the new bike or the new generation gt`s either, looks aren`t everthing as they say but the Beemers need to put more into the cosmetics as they are getting very pricey. I`d like to see better aerodynamics ,windshilds that are designed to keep the wind off of you,seats that are comfortable and help out on the longer rides and esa is very expensive and you wind up paying for it so you can get the other options that you need and want.i do like the headlight that the new gt has for safety!

1300gt

I've owned HD Ultra Classic & Road King plus BMW LT & Gold Wings. Now own a 2010 BMW 1300GT. In my opinion this bike is by far the most powerful, well designed, well balanced bike of them all. My only issue is the seat. Need to improve seat comfort (softer) for us older riders.

I think BMW is going to sell a lot of these sixes, and weight is not going to be a factor for the target audience.

Rumors are, in USA at least, only the folks with deposits will have a crack at getting one of these in spring, and there won't be general availability until _AFTER_ the summer?!

I'm actually looking to get a tourer with a warranty, and was hoping to at least be able to consider this bike, but I'll probably end up with the Connie. Perhaps when that bike's warranty runs out I'd consider a debugged K16 if I'm living within free tow range of a BMW dealer ;)

seat height v. weight

I think the fact that the new K16 has a lower seat height, 29 inches is a bigger factor than its weight. I'm sure many people, like me, will be delighted to see a lower bike.

I think the fact that the new K16 has a lower seat height, 29 inches is a bigger factor than its weight. I'm sure many people, like me, will be delighted to see a lower bike.

:scratch I got a call from Motorrad, wanting to know if I wanted the standard seat or the lower seat on my ordered GT. I don't remember the heights she mentioned, but the lower setting of the standard seat is 0.1" higher than the same setting on my RT. Does the GTL have a lower seat as standard?

- Kate

:scratch I got a call from Motorrad, wanting to know if I wanted the standard seat or the lower seat on my ordered GT. I don't remember the heights she mentioned, but the lower setting of the standard seat is 0.1" higher than the same setting on my RT. Does the GTL have a lower seat as standard?

- Kate

According to a review I read, the GTL does have a lower seat.

Back