Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ford dashboard

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    '59 Oldsmobile was what came to mind.....

I'm anxious to see what the "sportbike version is going to look like.

I thought the '59 Olds had a horizontal bar that changed colors as the speed increased????

Ralph Sims

This is the perfect opportunity for the after-market to offer carbon fiber trim to fit over the silver rings and make this package look more sporty. Without the silver rings this would look good.
    2014 R1200 GSA W

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    I agree with Don's comments. These bikes are not to cater to existing BMW owners, but to cannibalize the market for Interstate touring machines, like the Goldwing and the Harley Ultra Glide. The sure giveaway that the K1600GTL is designed to lure Goldwing and Ultra Glide buyers is if they put the "Barcalounger" seat on the pillion, complete with the compulsory armrests.

I ride solo myself, but I think that every Goldwing and Ultra Glide I have ever seen with a female pillion passenger has the "Barcalounger" seat with armrests. Some of them even have a cupholder attached. I understand that SWMBO's demand this feature on these bikes. They are regally seated, with hands clasped firmly around the each end of the armrests.

The closest I have seen on BMWs is the huge 49 liter topcase with the backrest pad. Female pillion passengers on this setup, lacking the armrests are left with no other alternative, but to grasp their thighs , as a resting place for their hands.

Armrests are a must!

Bill
    I don't think the Wing is really their target market. I think it's a market between a 900 pound touring bike and the R12RT. Sporting abilities are not only available, but are announced via the styling. Power is shown by a big "6" emblem and the bike is aggressively styled. This doesn't really fit with the big plastic molded ass of the current Wing, imho.

I think it's along the lines of:

Wing buyers: Like Cadillacs, Buicks, Lincolns, big Lexus sedan, Jaguars. Vehicles that carry some sporting pretentions, but are focused on luxury and refinement.

GT buyers: 5 series, Audi A6, Mercedes CLK or E class, Ford Taurus SHO (I really think so). Chassis dynamics and power are key, but so is a fairly understated or simple form of luxury.

Ymmv, but that's what I feel is happening.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

But at the end of the day will this BMW series convert enough other riders to the brand. I hope that the dash on this bike will not do to it what the fairing on the R1200ST did.

Who knows maybe BMW has come up with the right new platform for the next century.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

So far the Japanese are really slow to respond to BMWs newer stuff so I wouldn't expect anything much from them any time soon re the 1600.

Honda, for example, has made no response to the sport bike and hasn't even gone after much of the other stuff with its overpriced, what is it anyway? new V-4.
    Kawasaki is the only one that has even announced any response to the sport bike and theirs is apparently a late 2011 at best. THey're claiming better electronics but perhaps not as much power.

I'd figure 2013 before showrooms really see much Japanese response to the sport bike though we may see more late 2011/early 2012 press releases and about the same before we see anything re the 1600.

So far the Japanese are really slow to respond to BMWs newer stuff so I wouldn't expect anything much from them any time soon re the 1600.

Honda, for example, has made no response to the sport bike and hasn't even gone after much of the other stuff with its overpriced, what is it anyway? new V-4.
    Kawasaki is the only one that has even announced any response to the sport bike and theirs is apparently a late 2011 at best. THey're claiming better electronics but perhaps not as much power.

I'd figure 2013 before showrooms really see much Japanese response to the sport bike though we may see more late 2011/early 2012 press releases and about the same before we see anything re the 1600.