• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Death Valley Trip

S

SNC1923

Death Valley Trip - MLK Weekend

Went on a great ride this past weekend to Death Valley with a really great group from BMWRT.com. In spite of numerous warnings of closed and damaged roads due to torrential California storms, I decided to go along on this rideÔÇömy first with a large group of riders from around the southwest.

This picture of "Lake Denny's" in Baker had me worried, but as it turned out, it was the last water I saw for four days.

14389112-L.jpg

There were miles and miles of this beautiful desert scenery.

14389176-L.jpg

A perennial favorite, Scotty's Castle in the northern end of the park.

14390690-L.jpg

14393419-L.jpg

14390680-L.jpg

One of the most interesting places to visit in DV is the ghost town of Rhyolite. Here are a few shots from there.

14392026-L.jpg

14392033-L.jpg

14392039-L.jpg

Just around the corner from Scotty's is an impressive natural wonder called the "Ubehebe Crater." This is a picture of one of its walls.

14392053-L.jpg

Another really interesting site is the Harmony Borax Works in Mustard Canyon, just north of Furnace Creek. Chinese workmen hauled tons of this stuff through the desert on one of these wagons hitched to a team of twenty mules.

14393438-L.jpg

FirstGear riding suit -- $500
Garmin GPS -- $700
'04 RT -- $15,000
Watching your buddy fill his Yamaha 3 times to your one -- priceless

14390669-L.jpg

Of course, to pay for some cool twisties, there were some daunting straightaways

14393893-L.jpg

Some of the scenery heading over to Cerr Gordo Peak

14393542-L.jpg

Wonderful sweepers going over Cerro Gordo Peak

14393891-L.jpg

Love this new bike

14393537-L.jpg

Yours truly taking a windy break on the way to Lone Pine. I may ride Metzlers, but I bear a striking resemblence to the Michelin Man.

14393897-L.jpg

A nice shot of Lake Isabella, just outside of Bakersfield, 30 minutes from home

14393907-L.jpg

Four days of gorgeous weather in the desert comes to an end as I descend into the ubiquotous winter fog of southern-central California. Brrrrr.

14393914-L.jpg

In all, it was a great trip with beautiful scenery, winding roads, interesting sites, cold beer, and fun beemer riders.

Last edited:
Death Valley Daze

Tom: Having lived in Las Vegas NV for almost 25 Years, your ride report brings back fond memories. I have have been all over that country many times , I am surprised you didn't get up too Beaty and take a picture of the air plane. Thanks for a wonderful report.

Nice Photos

Tom

Your photos capture the beauty of DV and give a sense of why we ride. Thanks

Come back and visit with us for DVD in a week. Hope the warm weather holds.

Dave Mishalof
Escondido, CA

KBasa said:
How'd the campground look?

dave

Oh, I hoteled it. Had a great experience at the Exchange Club. Pretty much everything looks normal. There's some water on the ground, actually lakes in places--pretty wild. But I didn't hear anything about campground closures. Should be great next weekend.

Have a blast.

Back