Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: New Nolan n103 on Day Two...

  1. #1
    Registered User grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,694

    New Nolan n103 on Day Two...

    Day one: Noise, yes. More than Shoei? No. Just different. High speed 70+ noted shaking of helmet. Turn head to either 2pm or 10pm and I feel an air leak on that cheek. Quite comfortable over all. Pinlock fog barrier a must to install. Any breathing creates fogging.
    So far happy with it.

    Day Two:
    It's raining. Same as above notes except...
    It @#$%!* Leaks. It started to weep at 30 mph in a very light rain.
    WTF?
    By the time I got to work one hour later...
    Three separate rivulets running on the inside of the helmet.

    No sign of why on the helmet.

    Again. Brand New.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  2. #2
    tourist
    Guest
    Mine started to leak about three months after I got it. It seems that the visor doesn't go all the way down anymore. Luckily it only leaks when it rains.

    It leaks air all the time but real only affects me when riding in cold weather. The cool breeze hits me right in the eyes.

    I have always thought it was kind of noisy but now I lift the visor up to the first notch and that seems to quiet it up a little and I raise the windshield up and noise becomes tolerable.

    I wouldn't recommend the helmet but maybe its as good as it gets.

  3. #3
    Registered User froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ballwin.MO
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    Day one: Noise, yes. More than Shoei? No. Just different. High speed 70+ noted shaking of helmet. Turn head to either 2pm or 10pm and I feel an air leak on that cheek. Quite comfortable over all. Pinlock fog barrier a must to install. Any breathing creates fogging.
    So far happy with it.

    Day Two:
    It's raining. Same as above notes except...
    It @#$%!* Leaks. It started to weep at 30 mph in a very light rain.
    WTF?
    By the time I got to work one hour later...
    Three separate rivulets running on the inside of the helmet.

    No sign of why on the helmet.

    Again. Brand New.
    Well,at least its comfortable?
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

    02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

  4. #4
    Registered User grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post


    Well,at least its comfortable?
    Funny you should say that...

    Rain today.

    No leak.

    AS for comfort. I think this is the most comfortable helmet I've owned. So far.
    Although I will add I went from Bell to SHOEI. That was it.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  5. #5
    Caribbean Druid
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    607
    Got my N103 from J&M about a month ago, complete with bluetooth setup. Liked it at first try. However, just got back from a 2 week, 3000 mile trip from FL to VT and back. Helmet sucks. Heavy for long days with the addition of the J&M bluetooth setup. Not as comfortable or as well-made as a Shoei Multi-tec (which I also routinely wear when working as a factory demo rider). One of the chinbar vents quit opening/closing via the thumb tab, even though I have not so much as jarred the helmet. The N103 internal sun visor, even though it looks like a good idea, has its own issues. First off, since it doesn't descend all the way down, it sill lets in sunlight underneath. Second, it leaves your nose and cheeks exposed (great, more sunburn...). The helmet is noisy as well.

    As for the J&M bluetooth setup, I feel it doesn't perform well at all. It has its own issues...

    I'm very disappointed in the N103...and it was bloody expensive with the bluetooth setup, too...I'm going back to my trusty Shoei RF-series and a wired connection to my ZUMO 665.

  6. #6
    Registered User grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    I'm very disappointed in the N103...and it was bloody expensive with the bluetooth setup, too...I'm going back to my trusty Shoei RF-series and a wired connection to my ZUMO 665.
    Maybe it was the color.

    j/k

    I paid $265.
    It is comfortable.

    But I will most likely go back to a SHOEI also.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    49

    Lost bolt

    I've had my N103 for about a year now. first helmet ever as I have only been riding a year. It is a bit noisy, but i wore it all last winter and it kept my head warm, and with the venting and a semi-open visor kept it cool this summer.

    One major complaint, after a short ride last week, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the visor had popped out. I went to the shop where I bought it and was told they couldn't get parts for it; none in the catalog! What the heck! I paid full price for this helmet and find that not an acceptable answer.

    any ideas?

  8. #8
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
    I've had my N103 for about a year now. first helmet ever as I have only been riding a year. It is a bit noisy, but i wore it all last winter and it kept my head warm, and with the venting and a semi-open visor kept it cool this summer.

    One major complaint, after a short ride last week, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the visor had popped out. I went to the shop where I bought it and was told they couldn't get parts for it; none in the catalog! What the heck! I paid full price for this helmet and find that not an acceptable answer.

    any ideas?
    First of all, Welcome to the forum. Second, I'm running a N-102. I had an issue with some weather striping that had come loose so I called the distributor-Cima International out in IL. They took care of the problem very well and were happy to do it. The phone # I have for them is 603-671-9710 with an e-mail of helmets@aol.com. Hope this helps, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  9. #9
    Registered User LENRT1200ST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sanderville, GA
    Posts
    392

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    First of all, Welcome to the forum. Second, I'm running a N-102. I had an issue with some weather striping that had come loose so I called the distributor-Cima International out in IL. They took care of the problem very well and were happy to do it. The phone # I have for them is 603-671-9710 with an e-mail of helmets@aol.com. Hope this helps, Gary
    Ditto.

    I've gotten small parts from them for free. Great customer service.

    Len

  10. #10
    Registered User teepke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    361
    I gave up on mine about the time the internal sun visor started slipping down into view anytime I went over some bumps in the road. N103... heavy, noisy, not very aerodynamic and mechanically failing.

    my Shoei on the other hand... lighter, quieter, aerodynamic and mechanically tight... but it's not a modular.

    -tp
    '11 F800R

  11. #11
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,096
    not to jack the Nolan thread, but...

    Not as comfortable or as well-made as a Shoei Multi-tec ...
    my Shoei on the other hand... lighter, quieter, aerodynamic and mechanically tight...
    I wear a Multi-tec. It's lighter than the N-103 by 4+ 0z. (1/4 pound). Aerodynamics are good as well; no head "bobbling" when I turn my head at speed; wind noise... probably average. I wear conformal (molded) ear plugs.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  12. #12
    Registered User grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,694
    My only issue is the leaking.
    Unacceptable on a new helmet.

    Weight. Not noticeable.
    Noise. Not louder, just different.
    Aerodynamics. I don't think any helmet really is.
    Any helmet I've ever worn is like a boulder in a stream.

    I like flipping it up at low speed.

    That said I'll try SHOEI next helmet.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  13. #13
    Registered User MLS2GO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Village of Loch Lloyd, MO
    Posts
    719

    Call CIMA if you have a problem with a Nolan

    Nolan has a 5 year warranty and they stand behind it. Number in post above. Mine doesn't leak. Look for this before calling. Make sure that you have the visor properly aligned in the rotating mechanism. If you are a cog off, it won't seal right.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

  14. #14
    Registered User grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    Make sure that you have the visor properly aligned in the rotating mechanism. If you are a cog off, it won't seal right.
    Yeah... I know.

    I think it has to do w/ the pinlock pulling across the face shield.
    I put a pinlock on my SHOEI and it started leaking the same way.
    I'll check both again...

    Thanks for the input...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  15. #15
    Minnesota Nice! braddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities - MN
    Posts
    1,932
    Question:

    I had a Nolan N100E that I really liked because of how it fit me and because of the convenience of the flip front. The wind noise issue was unacceptable, even with ear plugs.

    So, my question is, do people buy the new N103 if they don't care about all of the communication/Bluetooth features? Do people buy the N103 just to have a Nolan flipup? Or are they buying it for the other features?

    Honestly, I think I prefer the full face over the flipup, but still may try a flipup for my next helmet in a couple of years.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •