• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Standing Water

A

aterry1067

Hi all. I am just curious as to what the general consensus is to deal with standing water on the road. I ride a 2000 R1100RT. I personally would avoid standing water, if at all possible, but there are certainly times when it's not.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi all. I am just curious as to what the general consensus is to deal with standing water on the road. I ride a 2000 R1100RT. I personally would avoid standing water, if at all possible, but there are certainly times when it's not.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Slow down BEFORE you reach the puddle or standing water - then proceed across/thru it at a steady speed, avoiding any braking or addition of power to the rear wheel. Keep a firm grip on the handlebars, as potholes or surface debris could be hidden by the water.

Presume some 'mushy' feel to the steering, but do not introduce any significant steering correction while in the water.

Too slow, and you will need to add power - with reduced traction, not a good plan.

Too fast, and you could hydroplane and lose control, as well as soak the brakes and other undercarriage components that would just as soon remain dryer - an even worse plan.

Safe Riding. :german

Also, if you can't tell how deep it is, its best to determine that before starting in. Make sure there isn't a bike swallowing hole in there somewhere.

Some experience in water;

Know this! It does not take much standing water on pavement or dirt and its going to go over your head "as you hit it", if your speed is anything above about 25mph. This is an est. speed, but know your vision is going away if you hit water that is deeper than an inch or so. Been there done that so many times on dirt bikes, as the resulting wave of water WILL bury you in water droplets. Of course a LOT of speed tends to carry you over it all as you plane on top, so pucker up when this occurs. Both ways above will tend to improve your "butt grip" on the seat:). Randy

Both ways above will tend to improve your "butt grip" on the seat:). Randy

LOL. Interesting. Thanks for everyones input. The reason for my post, I just started riding a street bike a couple months ago, when I bought the RT. The other night coming home from work, I hit a large pool of water on the road in my truck. It was totally hidden in a dark area of the road, and I didnt see it until I was only feet from it. I soon began to wonder what I would have done had I been on my bike. Spilled it, most likely. I grew up on dirt bikes and quads. If I came up on water in a trail, on a dirt bike or quad, I would just unload the front end and try to twist the right grip off. I am much less inclined to do that with a top heavy 600 pound bike with all the electronic gadgetry (not to even mention how much more expensive it is to drop a street bike vs a dirt bike). That said, I have read a bit on here about an HES failure after getting wet. I am wondering if this should be a concern about riding in the rain and/or standing water?

Thanks again for everyones input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Know this! It does not take much standing water on pavement or dirt and its going to go over your head "as you hit it", if your speed is anything above about 25mph. This is an est. speed, but know your vision is going away if you hit water that is deeper than an inch or so. Been there done that so many times on dirt bikes, as the resulting wave of water WILL bury you in water droplets. Of course a LOT of speed tends to carry you over it all as you plane on top, so pucker up when this occurs. Both ways above will tend to improve your "butt grip" on the seat:). Randy

randy, you know better than this!

you compress the forks and then blip the throttle to loft the front wheel over the water.

this not only avoids a big splash in your eyes, it also nails your buddy with water roost. :burnout

ian

A few years ago I took a MC trip from BC across to Montana, down to Idaho, up through Washington and back home without a single "pucker moment." Not a single inconsiderate motorist or deer.

Two miles from home I come to a stop sign where I need to make a right turn for the shortest distance home and see that what was formerly blacktop is now very flat rolled gravel. I could have turned left, added some miles, and stayed on pavement. I could also have parked the bike, walked out onto this gravel, and seen how firm it was.

Instead, I thought "a little more dirt won't matter as I need to wash the bike anyway." I hadn't gone 10 feet when I knew I was in serious trouble. The wheels dropped in and I knew my only option was to stay on the throttle in first gear. Sweat on the faceshield also quickly eliminated the view. But I didn't drop the bike. But, no question, I was dumb.

So to return to the OP question, best to check out how deep a puddle is on foot. Flash floods can measure in feet rather than inches in some areas, and even an inch of water is a concern and requires thought.

As always, welcome other opinions.

Same strategy applies for riding in the rain...add a third wheel! :laugh

Back