• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SATRAD Antenna Issues

mypetersahn

MyPetersahn
Looking for help from the brain trust here:

I have searched the thread and don't seem to find much of a similar issue--although, I have to think it exists.

I have been using 3 different Sirius radios (2 Stratus' and 1 Starmate) on my 04' RT and have consistently had the same problem: I routinely lose my antenna connection in some manner ("antenna not detected" message). I fully understand the these units were not designed for the vibration, etc. of moto use; but, given the prevalence of M/C mounts and chatter about XM/Sirius use on a bike, I have to call out for help.

I have replaced mounts, replaced recievers and replaced antennas (which get pricey after a while) and no matter what; I still, eventually end up with the same antenna issue. I believe, after un-scientific research that it is more of an issue with the connection between the receiver and the base, VS. the antenna itself, but can't be sure. I have given up on my CycleGadgets reservoir mount as I can't retain antenna connection. I use the tank bag/mapcase now and have resorted to rubber bands and tiny bungees to "secure" a connection, but as of last weekend's trip to the Grass Roots Oktoberfest, that crapped out too.

I have a Starmate (5 or 6?) and use earbuds, I had used a Stratus series but tried to upgrade hoping for improvement--no such luck.

I have a Garmin 2820 and I do know I can get the GXM-30 and use it for reception and would solve my woes for the most part. However; I use the Sirius mainly in my work cage, which already has a provided GPS and really want to be able to transfer a SATRAD unit between rides (2 or 4 wheel) without swapping my PERSONAL GPS out all the time and would rather avoid the expense of a second subscription, just for the GPS.

I've done some open source research and I see that SIRIUS is coming out with a M/C specific kit and it notes that if you aren't using a receiver that "locks" in place you may not have optimum results. I don't think the Starmate falls into that category. . . (sigh)?

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I wanted to try and limit the usual first guesses right off the bat.

Thanks,

JEP

I used my Sirius radio strictly in the car, and on 2 different radios experienced the loss of antenna connection. Since replacing the radio seemed to be the only fix, at about $100/radio, I decided that the Sirius radio was not economically worthwhile after the 2nd failure. Maybe it's a design flaw, but in my case, had nothing to do with mounting it on a motorcycle.

Back