• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sticky shift lever. Shift lever pivot seized

K

kim_cohan

Hi-

I'm a very relieved oilhead owner. I thought I had an expensive transmission prob, but it was just the shift lever.

Two questions...

I have a 2001 R1150GS with 95,000 miles. The transmission started getting very hard to shift. The shift lever would stay in the last position- I had to nudge it back to center position with my toe. I was worried that this was a major transmission prob. Turned out to be just the shift lever. Big relief.

I took the shift lever off the footrest plate and discovered the pivot had seized. I had to POUND out the pivot bolt. I cleaned off some corrosion and ordered new plastic bushings.

I reassembled, but left one of the bushings out (it was damaged in the removal). I test rode around the block, and the transmission shifts like a champ. So the prob was definitely in a VERY sticky shift lever pivot.

I need some advice: What rotates? Are the bushings fixed to the shift lever and pivot around the pivot bolt, or are the bushings fixed to the pivot bolt and the shift lever rotates around the bushings? I never had this assembly off the bike while it was properly operating, so I have no point of reference.

I think the bushings are fixed to the shift lever and they rotate around the pivot bolt.

When I reassemble with the new bushings, the book says to torque the pivot bolt to 35nM. Is this the best way to do this, or should I torque until the rotation drag feels right and call it a day. Also, when I removed the pivot bolt, it clearly had some blue lock tight n the threads, which make me think that I may not want to WRENCH down on the pivot bolt, but to leave it loose enough for a good rotation of the pivot. The locktite keeps the bolt from falling out.

Love to hear from folks who have dealt with this.

Thanks!

Kim

by the press fit to the shift lever and the busing rotate

I don't know which pivots where. I suspect the lever and bushings pivot on the bolt.

As far as tightening is concerned, the bolt should be a shouldered bolt where the diameter of the smooth part is larger than the thread diameter so when properly torqued the bolt is tight against the shoulder but is not squeezing the lever. There should be a little end-play on the lever.

Now for some very precise technical advice: Goober on a bunch of good grease and once everything is assembled and tight wipe off any excess that squeezed out.

Back