• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wanna get wired !!!!

DavoRT

Just received a Garmin Zumo 550 from Ebay. Want to hear MP3's and the British chick give directions. Have the RAM mount for the clutch reservoir. Want to keep the powerlet free for electric clothing, so I need to know where to wire the Garmin, and a recommendation for earbuds/helmet speakers that gives a pleasant audio experience. The bike is an '09 R1200rt. The vast knowledge base here is certain to come up with a great configuration! Thanks to all! :ear

A wired headset is much louder and cleaner than a BT one. Go here, and scroll down for such choices.

BlueTooth

Wish I could agree with AZ but then we would both be wrong. I bought a Bluetooth and an Arai Profile from J&M which they installed, all for $700 earlier this year. After performing the pairing procedure with my Garmin 765T and my Samsung Rogue, I could not be happier. Music is in true stereo and has enough volume to blow the helmet off my head. I typically use ear plugs when I ride due to tinnitus, which is aggravated by the wind noise. I can crank that puppy up and hear great tunes even with the plugs in. In the unlikely event I get a call while riding, the Garmin is automatically put on pause to stop the tunes. When the call is over, the phone hangs up and all i have to do is to hit the play button on the Garmin and the music picks up right where it left off. And with the mic installed in the Arai's chinbar, most don't know that I am even on the bike. There is a trick, however. Both the phone and the Garmin must be on, with Bluetooth enabled, BEFORE turning on the J&M. Took me while to figure this out. Otherwise, the headunit is hunting for things to connect to and the Garmin music output is choppy. So, why did I spend the money on the J&M? I tried a Chatterbox and was very unhappy, as AZ said, with the volume output. Then again, you get what you pay for. OBTW - simple math Arai profile - $585; J&M BlueTooth - $299. Together, including installation - $700. And the installation was a truly professional job. I can see no speakers or wires, except those that actually exit the helmet and connect to the headpiece. Yes, I can see the mic in the chinbar but it is essentially flush with the chinbar. J&M gets a big thumbs up in my book.

You can't get stereo BT on a Zumo 550, only stereo on it is wired. Stereo BT was first released on the Zumo 660. That why when my BMW Zumo was bought back as a lemon with the ole' F800S, I got a 660 for the new ride.

Then I went back to wired because of low audio.

Ah, now that is a Garmin of a different color. Never gave thought to the Zumo not being in stereo. Glad I went with the less expensive cage model.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have no stereo due to the 550, but I was told about a Sena Bluetooth setup that had good reviews on webbikeworld.com. I forgot to mention that I also wanted intercom and phone control...

Thanks for your input!

I recommend the Cardo G4 BT gear. Excellent quality and loud enough to blast past my earplugs.

I use a Cardo Scala Teamset, though the Q2 or G4 would be better still. I have my car variety Garmin in a RAM Mount Aqua box hardwired to the headset with the optional MP3 boom mic set-up and my phone BT with the Scala. Plenty of volume up to 65 mph even with ear plugs in and the music stops when I get a call and starts back up as soon as the call is over, don't have to push play. The Teamset is BT to passenger but cannot connect to other riders, which is why I said the Q2 or G4 would have been better, but more expensive as well. I'm using an HJC iS 16 helmet, a higher end lid would probably be quieter and allow for phone conversation at higher speeds, but that may not be a good idea. At 55 mph people have no idea I'm on the bike.

Best bang for your buck: Etymotic ER6i ear buds.

Great sound!!! The BEST way to listen to music. It's like it's inside your head (along with all those other voices).

Good isolation(act as earplugs to cut wind noise).

Stereo.

Plug directly into the Zumo mount or run a permanent extension (Radio Shack $10) from the Zumo mount under the tank to just in front of the seat.

Can be had for around $70.

http://www.provantage.com/etymotic-research-er6i~7ETYM007.htm

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back