• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Nolan n103 on Day Two...

grafikfeat

Day one: Noise, yes. More than Shoei? No. Just different. High speed 70+ noted shaking of helmet. Turn head to either 2pm or 10pm and I feel an air leak on that cheek. Quite comfortable over all. Pinlock fog barrier a must to install. Any breathing creates fogging.
So far happy with it.

Day Two:
It's raining. Same as above notes except...
It @#$%!* Leaks. It started to weep at 30 mph in a very light rain.
WTF?
By the time I got to work one hour later...
Three separate rivulets running on the inside of the helmet.

No sign of why on the helmet.

Again. Brand New.

Mine started to leak about three months after I got it. It seems that the visor doesn't go all the way down anymore. Luckily it only leaks when it rains.

It leaks air all the time but real only affects me when riding in cold weather. The cool breeze hits me right in the eyes.

I have always thought it was kind of noisy but now I lift the visor up to the first notch and that seems to quiet it up a little and I raise the windshield up and noise becomes tolerable.

I wouldn't recommend the helmet but maybe its as good as it gets.

:dunno
Day one: Noise, yes. More than Shoei? No. Just different. High speed 70+ noted shaking of helmet. Turn head to either 2pm or 10pm and I feel an air leak on that cheek. Quite comfortable over all. Pinlock fog barrier a must to install. Any breathing creates fogging.
So far happy with it.

Day Two:
It's raining. Same as above notes except...
It @#$%!* Leaks. It started to weep at 30 mph in a very light rain.
WTF?
By the time I got to work one hour later...
Three separate rivulets running on the inside of the helmet.

No sign of why on the helmet.

Again. Brand New.

Well,at least its comfortable?:dunno

Got my N103 from J&M about a month ago, complete with bluetooth setup. Liked it at first try. However, just got back from a 2 week, 3000 mile trip from FL to VT and back. Helmet sucks. Heavy for long days with the addition of the J&M bluetooth setup. Not as comfortable or as well-made as a Shoei Multi-tec (which I also routinely wear when working as a factory demo rider). One of the chinbar vents quit opening/closing via the thumb tab, even though I have not so much as jarred the helmet. The N103 internal sun visor, even though it looks like a good idea, has its own issues. First off, since it doesn't descend all the way down, it sill lets in sunlight underneath. Second, it leaves your nose and cheeks exposed (great, more sunburn...). The helmet is noisy as well.

As for the J&M bluetooth setup, I feel it doesn't perform well at all. It has its own issues...

I'm very disappointed in the N103...and it was bloody expensive with the bluetooth setup, too...I'm going back to my trusty Shoei RF-series and a wired connection to my ZUMO 665.

I'm very disappointed in the N103...and it was bloody expensive with the bluetooth setup, too...I'm going back to my trusty Shoei RF-series and a wired connection to my ZUMO 665.

Maybe it was the color.

j/k :laugh

I paid $265.
It is comfortable.

But I will most likely go back to a SHOEI also.

Lost bolt

I've had my N103 for about a year now. first helmet ever as I have only been riding a year. It is a bit noisy, but i wore it all last winter and it kept my head warm, and with the venting and a semi-open visor kept it cool this summer.

One major complaint, after a short ride last week, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the visor had popped out. I went to the shop where I bought it and was told they couldn't get parts for it; none in the catalog! What the heck! I paid full price for this helmet and find that not an acceptable answer.

any ideas?

I've had my N103 for about a year now. first helmet ever as I have only been riding a year. It is a bit noisy, but i wore it all last winter and it kept my head warm, and with the venting and a semi-open visor kept it cool this summer.

One major complaint, after a short ride last week, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the visor had popped out. I went to the shop where I bought it and was told they couldn't get parts for it; none in the catalog! What the heck! I paid full price for this helmet and find that not an acceptable answer.

any ideas?

First of all, Welcome to the forum. Second, I'm running a N-102. I had an issue with some weather striping that had come loose so I called the distributor-Cima International out in IL. They took care of the problem very well and were happy to do it. The phone # I have for them is 603-671-9710 with an e-mail of helmets@aol.com. Hope this helps, Gary

First of all, Welcome to the forum. Second, I'm running a N-102. I had an issue with some weather striping that had come loose so I called the distributor-Cima International out in IL. They took care of the problem very well and were happy to do it. The phone # I have for them is 603-671-9710 with an e-mail of helmets@aol.com. Hope this helps, Gary

Ditto.

I've gotten small parts from them for free. Great customer service.

Len

I gave up on mine about the time the internal sun visor started slipping down into view anytime I went over some bumps in the road. N103... heavy, noisy, not very aerodynamic and mechanically failing. :bolt

my Shoei on the other hand... lighter, quieter, aerodynamic and mechanically tight... but it's not a modular. ;)

-tp

not to jack the Nolan thread, but...

Not as comfortable or as well-made as a Shoei Multi-tec ...

my Shoei on the other hand... lighter, quieter, aerodynamic and mechanically tight...

I wear a Multi-tec. It's lighter than the N-103 by 4+ 0z. (1/4 pound). Aerodynamics are good as well; no head "bobbling" when I turn my head at speed; wind noise... probably average. I wear conformal (molded) ear plugs.

My only issue is the leaking.
Unacceptable on a new helmet.

Weight. Not noticeable.
Noise. Not louder, just different.
Aerodynamics. I don't think any helmet really is.
Any helmet I've ever worn is like a boulder in a stream.

I like flipping it up at low speed.

That said I'll try SHOEI next helmet.

Call CIMA if you have a problem with a Nolan

Nolan has a 5 year warranty and they stand behind it. Number in post above. Mine doesn't leak. Look for this before calling. Make sure that you have the visor properly aligned in the rotating mechanism. If you are a cog off, it won't seal right.

Make sure that you have the visor properly aligned in the rotating mechanism. If you are a cog off, it won't seal right.

Yeah... I know.

I think it has to do w/ the pinlock pulling across the face shield.
I put a pinlock on my SHOEI and it started leaking the same way.
I'll check both again...

Thanks for the input...

Question:

I had a Nolan N100E that I really liked because of how it fit me and because of the convenience of the flip front. The wind noise issue was unacceptable, even with ear plugs.

So, my question is, do people buy the new N103 if they don't care about all of the communication/Bluetooth features? Do people buy the N103 just to have a Nolan flipup? Or are they buying it for the other features?

Honestly, I think I prefer the full face over the flipup, but still may try a flipup for my next helmet in a couple of years.

I bought it to try Nolan. I like the flip up concept.
I flip it up on the slower side streets... Or pulling into a gas station.
Bluetooth? No way. As a matter of fact I think it should be illegal in helmets.
Noise? No worse than any other I've used.
I use Howard Leight Foam Ear Plugs. Can't ride w/ out them now.

I tried my iPod again on my hour+ commute home... Ugh. Can't do it.
Part of my reason to ride is to get away from that stuff.

Nolan... Very comfortable. Great buckle system too.

Question:
I had a Nolan N100E that I really liked because of how it fit me and because of the convenience of the flip front. The wind noise issue was unacceptable, even with ear plugs.
So, my question is, do people buy the new N103 if they don't care about all of the communication/Bluetooth features? Do people buy the N103 just to have a Nolan flipup? Or are they buying it for the other features?
Honestly, I think I prefer the full face over the flipup, but still may try a flipup for my next helmet in a couple of years.

I've had a Nolan N-103 for over a year now.. I ride year round -- through snow, thunderstorms, heavy rains, etc.

No leaking whatsoever. Never get wet with it. Rarely water will come on inside of visor, but only if I've cracked it a bit.

No wind leakage no matter which way my head faces.

Must use pinlock shield or it will fog!

Internal flipdown visor hangs about 1/4" down even when in the full up position which annoys me. But the visor being internal with easy slider for it on the outside is nice.

Bluetooth system is good in concept but crappy in execution. The battery life is absolutely horrible. I ended up ripping out the boom mic because the audio system sucked.... The helmet is abit loud to begin with, and the speakers arent powerful at all so is near impossible to hear anyone talking at speeds above 45MPH. Furthermore the audiojack on the base of the helmet is horrid. You must use their cable because generic ones will not fit properly (think of the problems with the original iphone headphone jack). Their cable has a large plug that sticks about an inch and a half down from base of helmet before it becomes flexible cabling. When you look to the left to clear, this plug hits your shoulder... after about a month of usage, the internal mounts for the jack break and it becomes no longer usuable.

I do like the flip up and front pinlock... easy to one-handed use and feels solid.

The chin strap buckle is awesome... when I get a new helmet I am going to cut it off and put it on my half-helmet.

Some have complained about weight, but it seems pretty light compared to a flight helmet with NVGs attached:p

Cheers!

B-1

Back