Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather gloves

Cold weather gloves

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a warm and waterproof glove. I have warm weather gloves, but the frost in on the pumpkin in Vermont and need something warmer. My bike has heated grips that work quite well at warming the palms.

I have a pair of Widder heated gloves. Don't care for them as they are so bulky. You might try the heated liners that go inside a regular pair of gloves. Or how about Hippo Hands.http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm
    2013 Goldwing

David - this seems more like a GEAR thread, so off it goes to GearLand..

Hang on, thread moving in progress..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Ditto on BikeMike's advice.

I have the Wunderlich version of Hippohands, they are VERY effective, and I can wear unlined gauntlets down into the low 30's without a problem (except HIGH on the heated grips quickly becomes too hot..) They are also quite good at keeping wet off your hands/gloves, enough so that even though I carry waterproof gloves - I never bother with them when I have the grip "muffs" on.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I use Gerbings. Sometimes, when it gets really cold, I even plug them in. Once you get down to about 20 degrees, they really need the help of the electricity. Not sure they are really all that waterproof. But have yet to get wet hands in them.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    I use Gerbings. Sometimes, when it gets really cold, I even plug them in. Once you get down to about 20 degrees, they really need the help of the electricity. Not sure they are really all that waterproof. But have yet to get wet hands in them.
    The Gerbings folks have told me to use waterproofing spray occasionally with the gloves.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

The BMW winter glove is a great glove. If I remember correctly, it is Gore Tex lined. Those gloves with heated grips handle most winter riding for me.
    Dan

XTrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    The BMW winter glove is a great glove. If I remember correctly, it is Gore Tex lined. Those gloves with heated grips handle most winter riding for me.
    Which BMW gloves are you using, Dan? I'm currently considering the ProWinter 2 gloves.

Thanks!

criminaldesign
    Gerbings here too. They work alright plugged in or not, they're bulky but they are winter gloves.

I've been in rain a number of times with them, my hands get wet.

While the thermostat has a range with the dial, it seems like it only has 2 settings, on or off.

For cash sakes I want to get a couple more winters out of them and look for something else.

h

Try Held

About five or six years ago I bought a pair of Held's Hawk Gore-Tex gloves and they work well. They're heavy, insulated, warm, and waterproof. Like any heavy winter glove there's less feel, but that's just part of the give and take with any motorcycle gear. Held no longer makes the Hawk Gore-Tex, but I know they've replaced them with something and, if I were in the market for a new pair of winter gloves, that's what I'd get. If you want to check for yourself, newenough.com sells Held stuff and they'll have pics and reviews.

As an aside, I wear my Held Steves in weather down to the low 30s with heated grips (and my GS hand protectors help, of course) and they do just fine. Unless its cold and wet I rarely wear the heavy winter gloves.

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but it also depends on where you're riding. I'm in north Texas where our winters are relatively mild, so my heavy insulated gloves ought to last a lifetime. That, and I have no need for heated gloves. But if you're riding in colder areas its a different ballgame.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    My favorite non-heated gloves are the Tourmaster Winter Elites. I've been wearing them for seven years and even bought a spare pair in case they ever stop making them. They are good to 30F degrees without the attached cover (stuffs in a zippered compartment of the gauntlet). They are good to 20F degrees with the cover in place.

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/797
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Ditto on BikeMike's advice.

I have the Wunderlich version of Hippohands, they are VERY effective, and I can wear unlined gauntlets down into the low 30's without a problem (except HIGH on the heated grips quickly becomes too hot..) They are also quite good at keeping wet off your hands/gloves, enough so that even though I carry waterproof gloves - I never bother with them when I have the grip "muffs" on.
    Bought a set of Wunderlich Handle Bar Muffs (Item# 8110360, $85.00) and used them for the first time on a ride in the Alaska Range last weekend. Rode in temperatures as low as 24 degrees wearing only a set of light deer skin gloves with my hand warmers on low.

I used them on my GSPD that has Touratech hand protectors mounted. I found that fitting them over the hand protectors was not a problem, but it created an opening at the end of the hand muffs that let in some cold air. An easy fix with a bit of tape.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 09-22-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Talking +1 BMW Winterglove

I think there are several different types of thoughts....

1. Do you want heated gloves? It is the warmest option of them all. Research Widder, Gerbing gloves, they make glove liners and full gloves. The full gloves are waterproof. I used to have a pair in the past, but sold them as I found them too thick for good control. That is just my personal experience.

2. If you don't want heated winter gloves, I have found that the BMW Winterglove is the warmest and well made, it is also waterproof. (I own a pair and love them)

3. Hippo hands: with that it looks ugly, but is very effective. You can wear thinner gloves inside them, but you don't see your controls. I hear it takes getting used to.

Nothing is worse than cold hands, so it is matter of compromise. Happy researching.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I used to wear winter gloves. I have the Aerostich Insulated Elkskin Gauntlet with the Merino wool lining. I've Scotch-garded the heck out of 'em, and they are very warm and mostly waterproof. They have Aerostich's TFT padding in the knuckles.

I too have handlebar covers - very similar to the Wunderlich product. Mine were made by a police supply company in Portland, OR that no longer sells to the public. Mine were specially made for the R1150RTP, which has stalk mirrors in addition to the body-mounted mirrors. It appears that the Wunderlich product would also work with stalk-mounted mirrors.

The combination of the handlebar covers and heated grips means I haven't used my warm winter gloves in the two years I've had the handlebar covers. My summer gloves (Aerostich Elkskin Ropers) are perfectly fine inside the dry and warm still air provided by the combination of the heated grips and the handlebar covers.

Most importantly, the handlebar covers keep your gloves dry. As a Pacific Northwest skier, I can assuredly say there is no such thing as a completely waterproof glove. I've been looking for one for 30 years. The handlebar covers keep my gloves bone-dry, which is critical to this year-round Seattle-area rider.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Which BMW gloves are you using, Dan? I'm currently considering the ProWinter 2 gloves.

Thanks!
    Yup, that's the one. It's a great winter glove.
    Dan