• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley-Davidson's aging biker problem

I am with you

I guess IÔÇÖm in the minority. I liked it more when I started riding and the activity, it was not a sport then, was not main stream. Your dentist and doctor sure did not ride.

If bike sales are down and continue to decline, I kind of like that. If motorcycling is no longer the ÔÇ£in thingÔÇØ that works for me. I hope the next generations find things to do other than and riding and the activity will go back to the ones who always have and always will love it.

If you prefer to play video games please do so. Supply and demand only helps the consumer, at least in the short run. I wouldn't mind purchasing my next bike at a bargin price because everyone is doing something else.

To last three messages

Typ181R90 - it seems most posters are 50 or older. (I'm 63.) That probably will not change in the near future, but us old codgers are very interested in hearing from people like you. The fact that you and your friends, who are likely very comfortable and competent with all the new technology that us old guys try to use and swear at, like OLD bikes really is news! I think you are saying that in this largely digital world, you want some mechanical stuff you can actually understand and fix. My bet is that while you use the computer and all the other digital stuff far more efficiently than most of us older people, you really don't understand it. Airheads are understandable.

RAD - I grant that I may be living on another planet, but I believe people should get training and try out activities that attract them. Backpacking, fishing, hunting, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, playing clarinet and saxophone... I've done them all. Some have stuck with me. Some haven't. While I no longer take backpacking trips, that in no way devalues that period in my life. My wife and I took the MSF course at the same time. Riding stuck with me and it didn't with her. The pleasure/fear balance was there for both of us and it weighted in different directions. Neither of us jumped into motorcycling because it was the "In thing.."

GREGT1 - If motorcycle riding does become very unpopular, yes you will be able to buy great bikes for next to nothing. The bad news is that they become illeal. We want a lot of riders out there so we are not legislated off the road.

GreyGT1- While reading your post this thought came to me;
With less motorcycles on the road, cage drivers are going to become less attentive to looking for them. Remember when there weren't many bikes on the road and how many more accidents there were because of that fact?

A Few Thoughts

A few random thoughts with no particular point.

1. We have three drivers in our household, and own three Priuses: 2004 with about 90,000 miles, 2007 with 50,000, and 2009 with about 25,000. We have had zero trouble with any of them. They each get a year round average of about 50 mpg, and due to tire costs and service intervals are certainly no more expensive to operate than my BMW R1200R. During the warm (normal riding) months the Prii get 55 to 60 mpg depending on conditions. The Beemer gets 40 to 55 depending on conditions, and wants premium. I know it'll run on regular or midgrade, but I can feel the difference, and feed it what it's made for. Point is, there's no way I can justify that bike as a way to save money. The Beemer, plus needed accessories, didn't even cost all that much less to buy than a Prius, at least not when you consider that we buy all our vehicles for cash and keep them for a long long time.

2. I also have a Suzuki GZ250, which runs on regular at anywhere from 75 to 85 mpg, and is cheaper in every respect, from oil to tires to insurance to registration. That certainly is a cheaper alternative, even to the Prii. And it cost very little to buy.

3. My daughter has had her MC license for 6 years. She is 22, so she got it young. Every year she says she's going to ride more, and gets into it for a few weeks, then stops riding. It's just so much more convenient for her to take the car, and she's not that into the bike to make the extra effort. She has a lot going on in her life, isn't all that organized sometimes, and is usually in a hurry when she leaves the house. In 6 years, I doubt she's done 2000 miles. So the Prius is a lot more practical for her as transportation. When she does ride, she loves it, but it doesn't seem to take many miles for her to get her annual "fix". It's not that she's an electronic couch potato - anything but. She's just busy. Just one data point there.

4. I haven't seen anything in any of the above posts that indicates a full awareness of how much trouble the USA may be in economically. I have fears that we could be a third world country in a shockingly short period of time. Parts of this country already are. I'm not a survivalist by nature, but I am very concerned. Much of the World rides small motorcycles and scooters because that's all they can afford. I am not saying that this will be the case here soon, but I am saying that it could be.

5. Whether or not my dire fears come to pass, I think it's pretty inevitable that there are equalizing forces in the Global Economy that will cause life here to be less affluent materially than it is, and life elsewhere to be more so. As this happens, indeed, already is happening, the US market will have less influence on what bikes get designed and produced. After a while we might indeed start seeing some more of those less expensive, lighter, mid sized bikes here, simply because (a) that's what will be being made, and (b) that's what we will want and need.

6. I am 64. In January I bought a new R1200R. I have the gear to set it up for touring, or for around town joyriding, making the transition in just a few minutes. I do not expect to ever buy another motorcycle, and I do expect to ride for at least several more years. Just one data point.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T716Lvn8_Js?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T716Lvn8_Js?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I recently read" the age curve," written in 2008. It explains much of this. Similar thing happened in late 70's early 80's. Interesting reading if you market stuff.

That video was interesting, not because the young man was buying a bike on his own, or that he was buying a Hog for that matter, or that he in no way fits the HD demographic. I found it interesting that he saved his money to buy something he wanted, was rational about the purchase (bought used), and now is sharing his passion with other adults, many friends and family.

I'd bet that's all going to have a very positive effect on this young man's life. Too bad more kids and young adults aren't more like this young man. HD or BMW, the brand doesn't matter for something like this.

Seems like a nice kid. I like that he can play the accoridion. That's a feat in itself. If his family is set on riding Harley's, good on them. I see no fault in their choices. :usa:buds:bikes

Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe. No sale! I ride because I enjoy it. Riding is relaxing and fun as is tinkering with farkles now and then. I'm seventy-one years old. I've been riding since I was fifteen. All the younger folks are driving rice burners with fart cans and think they're cool. There is no impetus to get them to ride a motorcycle.

Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe. No sale! I ride because I enjoy it.

Somebody that gets it.

And, in fact, you can commute in a VW TDI (diesel) that gets 50 mpg, too, and you can carry passengers and get groceries and diesel is cheaper than premium.

One person on a bike at 50 mpg is same as two people in a car at 25 mpg. Motorcycle fuel economy is a myth.

Motorcycling's a hobby. A good one.

Somebody that gets it.

And, in fact, you can commute in a VW TDI (diesel) that gets 50 mpg, too, and you can carry passengers and get groceries and diesel is cheaper than premium.

One person on a bike at 50 mpg is same as two people in a car at 25 mpg. Motorcycle fuel economy is a myth.

Unless you're ridin' one of these. Nice little 2 fiddy.

Attachments

• 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 273
Somebody that gets it.

Motorcycling's a hobby. A good one.

If you commute alone on a bike instead of a mid-size car, you will save gas but you will not save money. The additional cost of maintenance of the bike and the difference in the cost and durability of the tires alone will more than eat up the savings in gas. It will cost you more money in the long run even if you already have a bike for your enjoyment. If you buy a bike specifically for commuting, you will spend a lot more once you consider the cost of the bike, insurance, maintenance and depreciation.

Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe.

i've got $1500 in a KLR 250 that gets 90mpg and is a great little run around town bike. all you do is change the oil and fluids. tires cost about $60/set. liability insurance only.

i work outta my house, so no commute, but my son rides it to work when he's broke. :ha

ian

1+1=___?

The answer depends on which number base you are counting in.

The math for motorcycle commuting depends on the basis you calulate the advantage and add the fun fuctor to. EveryoneÔÇÖs answer varies with the variables such as
-bike used for commuting
-do you do your own maintenance
-or do you use a shop(even then BMW dealer v independent makes a difference)

I have commuted by motorcycle for years. Some times the numbers have been strong in favor, some years a wash and others the balance has been swung by the fun factor of my bike v my cage.

The underlying point we are avoiding is younger drivers are not becoming riders of any kind more and more. So fewer young commuters, touring riders, sport riders, adventure riders, weekend warriors etc are replacing those who leave motorcycling for one reason or another. This has been going on world wide and not just in the US, and began before economics could be looked at as the primary cause.

used bike sales

Yes, new motorcycle sales are down, but in this economy, there are some great deals out there from people who are desparate to sell. Anyone know how used
bike sales are doing?

Yes, new motorcycle sales are down, but in this economy, there are some great deals out there from people who are desparate to sell. Anyone know how used
bike sales are doing?

no, but motorcycle parts and service sales are saving the industry. people are fixing up their current ride because they can't afford to get a new one. :nod

Time between listing for sale and any sale are up and the prices are down. I have not seen any firm numbers on the used market. What I have seen is while there area some great deals to be made the market is slow.

bike sales are doing?

I don't think the real deals are here yet. I suspect the prices will drop considerably when the extended unemployment benefits expire, the weather gets cold and the holidays approach. I bought my newest one almost three years ago around Christmas with a payment upcoming and bad weather. I made a really low ball offer and he took it. I think he saw 5 more months of payments and no opportunity to ride.

I just returned from Paris France where approximately 25% of the vehicles I saw were scooters or motorcycles. Parking cars is difficult (narrow streets) and congestion is great. Beemers abound, all sizes, all varieties. There is M/C specific parking and it is allowed to park a bike on the sidewalk. Why? Gas is 1.79 euros A LITER!!!! That's around 9.80 a gallon!!!! So don't think a bike can't or won't be used to commute. I've seen our future!

Back