• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Here's a question

womanridge

I have the BMW tank bag with the soft clear plastic map holder on the top. I've seen this happen on others. The clear plastic is turning yellow from, I suppose, exposure to the sun. Does anyone know if there is a product that will restore it to a clear condition? Is this problem something that can be corrected?:scratch

I have the BMW tank bag with the soft clear plastic map holder on the top. I've seen this happen on others. The clear plastic is turning yellow from, I suppose, exposure to the sun. Does anyone know if there is a product that will restore it to a clear condition? Is this problem something that can be corrected?:scratch

My 'solution' has been to use tank bags where the map case is modular.

I have a Bags Connection bag on my R1200RT right now, and the map case attached to it on top. If ruined, it's $14 to replace!

Available thru www.twistedthrottle.com

Go to an automotive upholstery shop, one that does "convertible top" replacement.

They're usually set up to make replacement rear windows, so they could probably replace your tank bag "window".

Good tip I like:)

That upholstery thing sounds like a winner. May well be too costly though, but my BMW Bag has the same ill fated map window thing going on. Nasty how they fade out in no time. My dealer actually asked me how OLD my bag was, as he was going to give me another bag! I think you may have an option to get a new bag, if its under a year old. Mine was not:(. Randy

I think you may have an option to get a new bag, if its under a year old. Mine was not:(. Randy
No such luck.:cry I got it in a trade of some farkles I had from my old RT and couldn't use on my 2010.
Thinking back, I used my Marsee tank bag for over 50k miles and didn't experience the yellowing issue. Must be that inferior Bavarian plastic, huh?

Thanks Gary, Kevin and Lew for your wisdom. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Try a marine (boat) repair facility that does boat cover repairs. They have the material and know-how to replace the window.

This may sound stupid but here it is.
Minimize the bags exposure to the sun if possible.
Don't leave your bag outside if you store your bike outside at home.
Take the bag inside on rides if you can once you reach your destination.
This may lengthen the life of the "resin" film.

Am I hearing a collective "DUH!"?

Am I hearing a collective "DUH!"?

Here's a 'duh' from me.
Seriously, I park in a garage and "Usually, bring the bag in when I ride. At least when I stop for the day. I just think it's the type of plastic. (See my post re: my Marsee bag.)

I don't have a tank bag, but I've rubbed toothpaste on my discolored plastic headlight protectors and it clears them up like new. Might give it a try.

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products work quite well on clear vinyl, from convertible top windows to tank bag windows. The #10 Polish restored my old 325iC window removing all the yellowing, also was quite handy at removing the transferred ink and residue on the inside of my own multivario bag window.
meguiars_10.gif

Follow up with the #17 cleaner to make it really clear again.
meguiars_17.gif

Since this is a bit of investment it helps to see if someone has it near you to try out. If you are anywhere near DC you are welcomed to mine.

I have a BMW tank bag with the plastic map holder, I find it to small, so use Zip lock bags as map holders and just clip it on top of the bag. cheap and easy to use.

Back