• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

500 miles in my new Nolan

paulsibek

After a couple of weeks with this helmet I will say that quality, fit & finish are equal to the Shuberth. This is a very nice helmet.

It's a little tight in the forehead but that should begin to fit better soon.

The articulated chin bar is sweet and it doesn't fall and knock my glasses off when I put the helmet on my head like the Shu.

This is not the Plus model so I use both hands to open the chin bar. It doesn't matter and the feeling of security is there.

It's a little quieter on the fwy and the 1/2 lb. it has over the Shuberth is definately noticable. Where the Shu used to buffet this does not.

I got a Nolan siler mirrored visor which I like because I can still see well at night, but with a silver bike, silver helmet and mirrored visor I might look a little like a Power Ranger, so I'll forgo the silver jacket...

In closing let me say that this is an excellent helmet and at the price I may not buy another non Nolan again. I cannot recommend it more highly.

nolan

I have 2 Nolan's. I used to smoke when I bought the first one. The newer one is the one click flick. I can wear it 12 hours with absolute comfort. I popped the top & drilled more holes for ventilation. The shield is stout. I use the Iradium. I think I'll always have a flip-up! I tried the Shuberth & it didn't fit my head.
Nolan has a new shield for retrofit that has a drop down tinted shield of some sort, Somewhere around $75. I use the tinted sticker thing I got at Americade several years ago.

Drilling holes

Careful about drilling holes in plastic. They can cause cracks, micro or observable.

If you REALLY have to; Use a very hot nail (heat it over a gas stove) and melt the hole, go slowly.

Blue Knight

It was a LEO who recommended ABS brakes when I got my most recent bike.

They saved my arse at least once already, so I owe LEO's my best recommendations...

BTW- I am going with my good friend Lew, a CHP, to the LA car show today. He is a true car nut so we'll see how he behaves. Anywhere we go together I ask him to drive :D

An old hippie and a CHP, the odd couple. :stick

Seeking the Nolan

I've been burning up the internet trying to find an outlet that might handle the Nolan that I saw in the BMW MOA mag. The sun visor is the feature that really draws me in and I appreciate the weight difference between the Nolan and the Schuberth. I'm going to be in Cleveland this next weekend for the Cycle world show and I have my sights focused on trying one on. Will feep you posted.

Still looking for VPS feature

I tried both of the sites that were listed and no luck. I just think that they are not being imported yet but you can buy a retro fit kit if you want to put the visor on your N100e flip helmet. I'm sure that they will be in cleveland this coming weekend. Thanks for trying to help! Todd

Shiner - are you referring to the new Nolan X-Lite, the X-1002? Nolan is just starting to show that helmet and it might be another month or so before they hit the stores. Have you been to the Nolan site? There is some (limited) info there. When you go to the Nolan site, click on the small X-Lite icon and that will take you to where they have the X 1002 helmet (and all the other X-lite helmets).

Any of you Nolan users installed speakers & Mic as for the Baehr or Auto Com?
Curious how easy or difficult it is. Some helmets are a snap and others, for example Schuberth are a real hassel.

I have an autocom in my Nolan and it is a super snap (literally cause the cheek pads snap in place) to install the headset in. It takes all of 5 minutes. I did need to use the 1/4" foam spacers behind the speakers to bring them close enough to my ears so that I can hear well. All in all it is an easy helmet to put a headset in (and out of).

Back