• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slimey Crud Run

Planning on it... assuming the weather is decent. May show up only in Leland.....

Planning on it... assuming the weather is decent. May show up only in Leland.....

Yeah, BE that way :nono The Madison Club will be just up the hill north of Pine Bluff, having breakfast at the Hilltop Inn (start around 9:00) if anyone is interested...

Yeah, BE that way :nono The Madison Club will be just up the hill north of Pine Bluff, having breakfast at the Hilltop Inn (start around 9:00) if anyone is interested...

We will be coming from Tomah and the Wisconsin Weekend Getaway, so I think there may be some twisties between Tomah and Leland that could add to the day's entertainment.

Hope to see you there!

Slimey Crud 2013

Have been pondering the SCR for a couple years now. Would be coming over from NoDak...
Any helpful hints on the where's and what's for a newbie? Was thinking of camping on
Saturday and take in the ride, Sunday. (weather permitting, of course)

camp sites

I am not a camper, but I do know of folks who camp in the Devils lake area about an 1.2 hrs North of SCR proper.
Also around the Madison, WI area.
You may want to go online and check out state prks.
I am sure others will chime in.

Have been pondering the SCR for a couple years now. Would be coming over from NoDak...
Any helpful hints on the where's and what's for a newbie? Was thinking of camping on
Saturday and take in the ride, Sunday. (weather permitting, of course)

The more or less "proper" way to take in the whole thing is to go to the southern point, (Pine Bluff WI), and ride to the northern point (Leland, WI), you should find both of these on googlemaps no problem.

Pine Bluff is a tiny crossroads community, there are a couple taverns at this crossroads, and for the Crud Run the large-ish parking lots around these taverns fill with every bike imagineable.
You could arrive fairly early Sunday morning and there will be bikes there already, they will stream in until a peak is hit at around 11am or so i would guess? Pine Bluff is just a short jaunt from Madison and some more in to bike-spotting will just head to Pine Bluff and call it a day.

Now, for the full effect I'm sure you want, coming all the way from Fargo, you would leave Pine Bluff and head to Leland. Leland is somewhat larger than Pine Bluff, but not by much. There are a few local groups that do plan on the Crud run for income, brat frys and like that, or the couple local taverns also cater to the Crud Run crowd. Again lots of bikes to see and locol color to appreciate. This is usually high harvest season so an occasional combine driving through the main road as well as a healthy dose of the Sauk County Sheriffs Dept to keep things relatively sane are to be expected. BTW the combine-driving farmers usually do not seem too amused by the proceedings so pay healthy respect to their needs and desires.
The sheriff deputies also seem like they'd rather be in a dentists chair getting a root canal from what I've noticed. Some shenanigans seems to go either overlooked or undetected, but people getting tickets or at least talked to is fairly constant.
The ride from one spot to another is not organized at all. The whole event just seems to take place automatically without all that much organization at all. "They" do have a website set up now, not that anyone takes any particular credit/blame/responsibility for the run at all, which is how I believe it is intended.
Somehow I'd feel better if there were no website.
I keep getting the impression that someone is going to try to actually organize it, which would lead to someone making a buck off me.
I might be paranoid.
"They" I guess is the loose organization that Peter Egan refers to as the Slimey Crud Motorcycle Gang. If you know who you are looking for you will spot Peter somewhere if you are lucky. The latest pic in "Leanings" do him the most justice, he is taller and thinner than you would imagine and it seems he is always wearing leathers. He seems to always be willing to make an acquaintance and a handshake, he knows the people at the Crud Run are his readers. He appreciates that I think. I have met him a few different times and also posed for a picture with several of my friends.
Myself i would lean towards finding a motel room in Madison on the west side, or maybe in an outlying area within an hour of Madison (I could dig up a suggestion or two), it's going to be a long ride down from Fargo and you'll want to be better rested than camping will allow you.

Let me know if you think you will be there, I am planning on the spring run this year for sure, took a day off work to do it.

Back