• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

I'm Beginning to Hate Garmin With a Burning Passion

Wow. That's pretty harsh. He's trying to help you cat.

Go to 'navigation' in your tools and turn off auto recalculation and see if that doesn't correct it.

Or don't and get a tomtom

Looking at zumoforums, this is a known problem when copying routes to an SD card. So the question is why, if zumoforums knows about it, is Garmin selling defective devices?

That's certainly your choice but try to remember that no one on the list is responsible for your product failing to meet your expectations. Being irritated at the product is one thing - discourtesy is yet antoher.

I presume you're within a reasonable time frame since Garmin replaced it.

If it were me, I'd call Garmin first thing in the morning and tell them the replacement they sent wasn't working right and it also needs replacement. I'd try one more time. There may be some issues with that unit or it could be the way it's setup. No telling. However, there are sure a lot of happy Garmin users out there.

Has everyone had a trouble free experience, no. I've had problem with my 550. They replaced it even though it was out of warranty ['we'll do a one-time customer satisfaction replacement for you sir.'] and it's fine. I also have a 2650 that just keeps on running.

I'd Roll the dice and try again.

Mapsource has been around for a long time. It can be quirky, but there is also a significant learning curve. Lots of people have had trouble with their GPS devices overriding their custom routes and the problem goes back several years at least.

The real story here is that there are fixes and work-arounds if you spend the time to research them. A quick look at Zumo forums isn't going to do it. There is both good and bad info there, like everywhere else.

There is a reason why almost everybody on a motorcycle who uses a GPS uses a Garmin. If you think the TomTom is a better choice for you, I'd say go for it, but do your homework about the problems it has first. There is a much smaller user community for the TomTom and help isn't as easy to get.

Good luck. I hope you find your answers.

Paper Map + Photo Copier + High lighter pen + Map pocket + Gasoline + Motorcycle = Answer.
Never Let Technology Frustrate to the point of anger.

Go for a ride.

As Gail (sheridesabeemer) told me... They are known as 'Garminisms'.
That's all I think of now when mine tries to route me through the North Pole.

You should never censor yourself...

Regardless, have you seen this?
An article from SoundRider on this very frustration:

Garmin GPS Tips & Tricks

During our recent SR! tours of Oregon, a number of riders had issues reading their GPS files. If you've been navigating routes with a Garmin GPS for a number of years, perhaps we won't be telling you anything new here, but if you're new to GPS, you may find this helpful.

http://www.soundrider.com/current/sep10/garmin_tips.htm

That's a pretty useful link for new users of Garmin GPS, or older users that moved to newer GPS models.

I've been asked a couple times why a route from a buddy was so screwed up. My answer has always been to change the routing from fastest/shortest to "the other one". It's usually corrected the wrong turns. That's good and it certainly worked but I never really understood why it corrected it. This explains it.

I went from a gs to a rt a year and a half ago, and did not install my zumo on the new bike an haven't missed it yet, I enjoy reading the maps. I would like to find a nice compass that works on the bike well. Something I could just stick on the brake fluid lid with EZ Pass type velcro.

I went from a gs to a rt a year and a half ago, and did not install my zumo on the new bike an haven't missed it yet, I enjoy reading the maps. I would like to find a nice compass that works on the bike well. Something I could just stick on the brake fluid lid with EZ Pass type velcro.

Maps are great and the GPS does not replace them. The only thing maps don't tell you is where you are.

The EZ Pass velcro is called 3m Dual Lock if you wanna go looking for some.

Back