• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Important information concerning depending on SPOT for rescue

GPS/Phone coords

Great thread on location technology……as many have heard my rants/discussions…..I’m a retired EMS Helo pilot (27 years), and obviously old timer Beemer guy (42 years)….
Everyone should know how to read their Lats & Longs on their phone !!!! This info is critical if you need a helo, or ground ambulance. Dispatchers can convert Lat/Long to street. address, or vice versa.
Iphones have this capability on the “compass” app if activated; there are other apps avail now also….

Please practice this issue RIGHT NOW !!! I also recc keeping your phone on your person when riding….:banghead

Please practice this issue RIGHT NOW !!! I also recc keeping your phone on your person when riding….:banghead

Thanks for the reminder. I used to have a app to send my location but see it disappeared.
On a Android phone if you hold down on the Google Map display you can see the coord, but I have to remember to hold the phone in Landscape to see all of the numbers.
Just now I installed the app Map Coordinates. When you open the app it displays the coord and closest street address.
The Map Coordinates app would be the easiest for me, but I need to make sure I know how to change to the app while talking on the cell phone.

I sure hope these SPOTs are a lot better than when they first came out, with users not getting through when under certain conditions (tree cover or in a gorge, etc).

Some time ago, claims were that they got better and based on newer models that came out.

But when it comes to live saving and especially in remote areas:
1) I count on myself and being prepared. That depends on the stuff beteen my ears and equipment such as a PLB, sat-phone, first aid kit and emergency equipment.
2) then I count on back-ups such as flight plans and lastly flight notifications when I flew.

The Apple App Store has an app titled "My GPS Coordinates". It is free and shows location in 5 different formats - selectable, one at a time of course: degrees/decimal degrees; degrees and minutes/decimal minutes; degrees, minutes, and seconds/decimal seconds; and, UTM and MGRS (whatever those last two are???).

I really like this app.

Last edited:
It gets even more confusing. Different countries use different Geodetic Survey datums. The US uses WGS-84 and Canada uses NAD-83. Fortunately, the difference is only a few meters.

Well done !!!!

Thanks for the reminder. I used to have a app to send my location but see it disappeared.
On a Android phone if you hold down on the Google Map display you can see the coord, but I have to remember to hold the phone in Landscape to see all of the numbers.
Just now I installed the app Map Coordinates. When you open the app it displays the coord and closest street address.
The Map Coordinates app would be the easiest for me, but I need to make sure I know how to change to the app while talking on the cell phone.

Well done Lee !!!

Back