Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breakdown - What to do?

I hear Good Sams is better towing service than AAA. I've talked to both towing services pretty thoroughly. I have never used either one but when I took my last trip I went with Good Sams.

I do carry tools and spare parts with me when traveling solo.... not just solo but anytime I take a trip. You can't predict everything that may happen to where you may not carry everything that you need... and I wouldn't worry about it either. If you are not able to do the work yourself, but someone else maybe able to assist you if you have the tools and/or parts you might need if simple repair. What will happen will happen and you deal with it at that time. I am not sure if you ever wrenched on your bike before or not... I wrench on my bike but you can't fix every single problem alongside the road either. A good towing service... a cell phone to where you can call for assistance but you also may be in a location where you may not have good signal. That has happened to me once. Luckily, A good friend was with me to where I was able to use his phone to call for a tow truck that particular time of my trip. Annoy book has been successful for a lot of people and has helped my friend as well as we have helped folks who have contacted us. There are great folks out there that will be willing to help.

Enjoy the trip and I wouldn't sit there worrying about breaking down as it will only ruin your trip if you constantly think about that.

There have been lots of wonderful suggestions.

Not sure how far your LD trip is... but I would make sure you do a maint such as tires, oil change, and other necessary checks to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the bike before venturing out on your LD trip.

1,000,000m;

Almost there this year, a lot of touring. Breakdowns a plenty in all these years with some advice! Your personal well being is always first, when broke down, so I always want a lot of water and a shade tree, or the like. Both of these are first priorities for me to make any kind of decisions forthcoming. Its absolutely amazing what folks will do for you on the road, from offering their homes to just about anything you can imagine. We live in a good world. Even other countries, folks have given me their absolute best they have to offer, when I needed it and would be insulted if you offer to give them any kindness back in dollars. Amazing stories. I carry a lot of tools and rarely need them, but the knowing they are there is some peace of mind indeed. My most valuable tools have been my air compressor, tire plug kits and maybe my volt meter. Nothin else gets used very often in a million miles. I have had some serious rebuilds out there too, like alternators and the like, on the side of the road with neighborly help, half a world from home. One not mentioned above is UHAUL Trucks are "everywhere" to be had. You can rent one, load up your bike and go home or whereever you like for much less than a tow bill. I did this with a K1200LT that let me down with a FD failure. BMW Roadside actually paid me back for this. My only UHaul story, but worked out nicely. Randy PS; If you find yourself need'in a part, UPS/FedEX can find you, believe me.

Where does this road go?? Gottago's Avatar

Smile update

Thanks everyone. Got back from a wonderful trip with no problems. I did take some tools, duck tape, tire plug kit, etc. Had to add air once and took a while to find a gas station that had air. Next time I take the air compressor. The only problem that occurred was a fellow motorcyclist ran out of gas and I was able to come to his rescue. He was surprised when I took off my helmet and all the gray hair came tumbling out. Imagine being rescued by Grandma.
    Last edited by Gottago; 09-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    "If they are running you out of town
    get in front of the crowd and make it
    look like a parade!"

So cool:)

You're a seasoned biker now, with your first trip under your belt. Keep on rid'in. That air compressor I said above is always a great tool to keep in the bikes saddlebag always. I actually rescued a RVer family in the middle of Nevada, US50 nowhereville. Pulled out my handy air compressor and inflated their spare, which had NO air in it and they had just had a flat. Funny how most never check their spares for air. Happy Trails, Randy

Congrats on your trouble free solo trip.

Rather than a flashlight, I carry a headlamp. It has three settings, bright, brighter and flashing. If you are trying to fix a tire in the dark or near dark, you don't have a hand to hold the flashlight.