• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trp planning NW IN to Phoenix in Feb

D

DZIMBRIC

I am soliciting advice for a trip from Bass Lake, IN located about 60 miles SW of South Bend to Phoenix, AZ in early February.
Specifically I am wondering what weather conditions can be expectd in Amarillo, or other cities locatd in the northern part of OK, TX, NM and AZ. Mapsource is outing me via I-55 to I-44 (St. Louis) to 1-40 (Oaklahoma City) through Albuquerque, NM to I-17 9Flagstaff, AZ) and south to Phoenix.

I know the weather can turn bad anywhere along there but what are the normal temps. :dunno :dunno

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

OK, maybe the main question is: HOW are you going to ride out of Northern Indiana in February? I lived in South Bend for 4 cold years, and there was not a motorcycle-friendly day in any of the Februarys!

If you can somehow slide across the Mississippi River, you should be fine on the other side :jawdrop

DZIMBRIC, man, you got the cojones! I grew up in Mishawaka so I understand what the Rev. is sayin'. It seems that such a trip is going to be dependent on a favorable "window" of mild weather. I'd suggest you keep a close eye on old man winter - maybe through the NOAA web site ( www.noaa.gov ). I think it's the best. I'm sure you'll hear from some riders in the SW but I'm thinking ice storms & other such nastiness is not unusual across OK, the Texas panhandle & northern NM. If you make the trip be sure to post a report. Good Luck. What an adventure, if you can pull it off :thumb
Steve

I'm thinking that for the most part you will need to throw away the Mapquest and follow the weather....your safest bet would be to head straight south on day one and try to get as far south as possible....slab it all the way to Memphis or further. From there you could take 40 to 30 then into Dallas...from there you should for the most part be in the clear for severe winter storms. Trying to go diagonally, though shorter, that time of year is really pushing your luck. The NOAA weather site is superb once you learn how to navigate it. Traveling this time of year is always tough and you would be smart to give yourself a little cushion on time and route but getting south on day one would be a good move......have fun.

Actually it is possible to ride in February in this area, I know cause I have done it. Just bundle up. Use some electrics and watch the humidity.

This fact is the reason we are Rounders :thumb

Phoenix

I don't know about the ride but you will love Phoenix that time of year. That month makes living through the summer worth it. During the summer we are not in hell but we can see it from here.

Rev.Willie said:
OK, maybe the main question is: HOW are you going to ride out of Northern Indiana in February? I lived in South Bend for 4 cold years, and there was not a motorcycle-friendly day in any of the Februarys!

If you can somehow slide across the Mississippi River, you should be fine on the other side :jawdrop

Oh I don't know, use to live in Indiana and rode up in that part of the state
January - February on occassion. My experience was mostly it gets very cold, so what, electrics and layerd clothing and watch out for the moisture
should get him out of the that part of the state. It still however will be cold
or the potential for cold weather through all of Indiana and into Oklahoma if lucky, more than likely it won't be till he reaches Texas or New Mexico.

gezerbike said:
I'm thinking that for the most part you will need to throw away the Mapquest and follow the weather....your safest bet would be to head straight south on day one and try to get as far south as possible....slab it all the way to Memphis or further. From there you could take 40 to 30 then into Dallas...from there you should for the most part be in the clear for severe winter storms. Trying to go diagonally, though shorter, that time of year is really pushing your luck. The NOAA weather site is superb once you learn how to navigate it. Traveling this time of year is always tough and you would be smart to give yourself a little cushion on time and route but getting south on day one would be a good move......have fun.

I'd say that this would be a good way to go about it. Get as far south as possible as quick as possible and head head west. The weather's been so weird lately that you don't know what to expect.

Back