• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Tires-What kind of rubber are you burning?

biketrax

Curious what most of you out there are using on your GS.
Ok I do 90% road with my 94 100 GS I just put about 15k on a pair of AVONs Gripsters. But my local dealer has Metzsler Torrence and Saharas dont know a thing about them. Any input would be nice. I would like to stick with the same brand I had, they seemed to have worked good!
I understand that BMW wheels need a special bushing to balance correctly so I am told to beware going to a smaller shop willing to sell tires. They may not be capable of giving me a correct balancing?
Any input or comment would be nice.
thx

Anakee seems to be the best for me switched at 20,000 miles now have 85,000 miles on the bike, they hold good in wet something Bridgestone did not do. Good wear 8,000 back and 13,000 front great in corners to, all these miles in 4.5 years

Tire wear is based upon so many factors

I love Gripsters on my GSPD, but i have never gotten anywhere near the mileage that you have. I usually get 8k - 10k miles out of a set. but then i err on the side of caution, and change them well before they are on their last breath.

YMMV

Went with Metzlers Torrence

The local dealer here had them in stock. yeah new rubber!:clap So they dont look bad we'll see how they ride and last! Quite Expensive more so than car tires! Somethings wrong here?:confused:

Have a set of Dunlop 607 on 100GSPD. The front shows very little wear, but the rear is really toasted at just under 7k miles. Most of the riding is on pavement. At the price of the Dunlop, it doesn't seem like a good buy to me.

This is a rear Continental Trail Attack that came off my bike an hour or so ago.

p-20100901-1441-2289.jpg

Thats with 10,299 miles of use. I'd use one again... except I've had a Heidenau K60 sitting in the garage since last December. This will be the first time I've used the K60. I was lucky to get this tire just before they turned into Unobtanium in the appropriate GS rear size.

p-20100901-1415-2281.jpg

That's the K60, sitting in the sun before being mounted on the bike. I run a TKC-60 knobby on the front. It needs changing, too. Not sure if I'm going to get a matching K60 for the front or stick with the TKC-80s, which I like.

Check the Gspot section over at advrider, there has been a lot of discussion on tires for the GS. Torrences and Anakees are probably the 2 main tires used for those who ride mostly on road.

Back