• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS purchase

woody99

Hi: I thinking of buying a GPS, I recently went on a trip down pacific coast highway and rented ,Gold Wing and a Garmin $800.00 unit, it worked ok but didn't seem to give much advance notice before turns in the city and also couldn't or I didn't know how to program it for a town, it wanted street addresses, which we didn't really have. Does anyone have any favorite GPS systems that can do these things well for a reasonable price? Thanks Woody

Woody - this is getting moved to GEAR since it isn't K bike specific.

Please hang on, and keep your hands and feet inside the thread for your safety and protection.. :wave

most "advanced" GPSs allow programming for the desired time for notification of a turn. Timing to a turn is of course influenced by your speed so you have to work out the timing you desire.

Generally you could also use the built-in map pointer to ID where you want to go and MARK the spot as a waypoint. You can then set navigation to go to that waypoint.
Specifically, POI loaded GPS will allow you to search for points of interest by name and then naviagate to it without already knowing the address.

How do you do this?

Garmin: Set Up Menu for Alarms Approach & Arrival

Automatic will give you 15 to 90 seconds depending on speed
"Distance" allows you to set how far away before notification
"Time" allows you to set how long before notification

The new Garmins (other brands probably have this too) have a lane indicator that tells you which lane to line up in prior to a turn. I find that helpful navigating in cities.

Back