• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

headlight guard

ashley12

have 2009 r1200rt dealer installed guard over headlight, which is fine but how do you clean the inside of guard

thanks I think that is what mine must be dealer put it on 3 round fastners at top and 3 at bottom
thanks again

i will give it a try

Just beware that Duo-Lock will wearout over time. Keep an eye on it and replace (ala Google search) when needed.

thanks I think that is what mine must be dealer put it on 3 round fastners at top and 3 at bottom
thanks again

i will give it a try

YUP - essentially a series of velcro (actually, a registered brand name) 'dots' that secure the guard to your headlamp assembly.

Got mine from Cee Bailey - it fits great, looks like it came with the bike, and will take the hit from a stone or other object - not the $480 lamp assembly.

Light Guards

A quick story, prompted by those who say "you don't need a light guard" -- (check it out - there's a thread somewhere that actually has this dominant theme.) Are these the same guys who ride without insurance???? Without a helmet???? Maybe so.

A few short weeks ago, my first trip on my new '94 R1100 RS was coming up, and as I went through my checklist, I somehow skipped the one about "get a headlight guard," and -yes- it was high on the list. I was already a believer, because that was one of the first things I bought when I had a K12RS a few years ago. By the time I sold the bike, I could SEE where stuff had hit the shield. Would the hits have broken the light? Maybe yes, maybe no, but why take a chance?

So on my unguarded trip, after a fast ride on (paved) Arkansas backroads and after stopping for the night -- there was a #$%&* "BB hole" in the $%#& glass lens. Fortunately, I was able to patch it successfully, and it was so nice and round that NO CRACKS radiated out. (Lucky, lucky) The "bullet hole"actually looks kinda cool, now only slightly visible behind my shield.

To echo another post, Cee Bailey's has very high quality products, and an impressive website, by the way. Their shield seems to be a superior product, and fits my RS headlight perfectly.

NOTE: When removing the shield for cleaning, pull smartly with a good tug, and - don't be "girly" about it! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) If you try to gently peel it off, you may pull the velcro mounts off the light or the back of the shield, not separate the two as desired.

Regards to all,

Walking Eagle
'94 R1100RS - MoonBeemer
'80 GL1100 Naked, with Watsonian on the right - Old Son (under restoration)

Just beware that Duo-Lock will wearout over time. Keep an eye on it and replace (ala Google search) when needed.

Mine are 8 years old. One has failed, but there are four others holding it on. One of these days I'll call Aeroflow and order a couple of replacements.

Back