Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nuvi Power cord

Podzo

Thanks

Thanks "gblawler" I am getting close. I have a good mounting system from "Cycle Gadgets". That does the trick, just their power cord would not work after 2 attempts. Power from the Garmin supplied power cord for a car worked with a male BMW plug to a cigarette lighter. I still just need a power cord. I hear there may be one available without the cradle but when I search power cords all I get is the cigarette lighter style which I already have and not confident with the two plugs.

gpodzo

Motorcycleton
    Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    ... Is there anything like a BMW male plug with 3 feet or so of wire to a Garmin Nuvi? ...
    Can you operate a screwdriver? If so, you can easily make your own. Here's how...

Purchase a Gilsson USB power cord from here -

http://www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/cables/GHS-B.htm

or here at a slightly lower price -

http://www.amazon.com/Gilsson-Direct...3906068&sr=8-7

Next, buy a BMW plug such as sold by PowerLet from here -

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products....asp?Item=PLUG

Using a simple screwdriver connect the red wire to the positive screw (the center part of the plug). Then connect the black to the negative (or ground or earth) screw (the outer part of the plug). I found it useful to pull the wire through the plug shell then knot the cable before affixing the wires to the plug. The knot should be located so the shell can be reattached to the plug. The knot will keep the wire from being easily pulled out of the plug. Alternatively one could get a plug which has a strain relief feature (screw and mechanical means of securing the cable) and forego the knotted cable.

I wind up the excess cable and secure with a rubber band. The transformer (the small black part with the green light indicating power) and excess cable is placed in my tankbag.

This works well for me.

Podzo

Thanks a million

That is what I needed, just couldn't find it when I searched. I will purchase the power cord and hook it to my fuse block. Then I will not have to turn it off and on. The fuse block I have has the switch on/off mode. Thanks again and I am off to Sipapu, New Mexico for the last rally of the year before the snow starts flying.

gpodzo

Podzo

Problem solved

Gilisson power cord worked great. Hooked into my fuze box and under some panels leading to the handlebar makes a clean hook up. All this hassel from Cycle Gadget , two months, and I am sure it was their power cord that would not do the job.

gpodzo