• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 Colors in the Catskills 3

We'll be leaving in a few hours. The weather looks good for the weekend just a little on the cool side. The waterfalls in the area should be spectacular!

Leaving soon, Just about stopped raining in the Albany area. Great weather predicted for the weekend.

Josh

I won't be attending, but please buy a T-shirt from Friedle and give him a hearty thanks for his outstanding work and efforts for this event.

heads up re: camping

The Hunter website is advising that on-site camping has been cancelled due to the storms. I believe the alternate campground they're suggesting is about 10 mi. away.

The Hunter website is advising that on-site camping has been cancelled due to the storms. I believe the alternate campground they're suggesting is about 10 mi. away.

WTF??? Part of the reason why I'm going is for the Octoberfest. I'd like to be able to drink and not have to worry about a 10 mile ride back to a pool of mudd.

WTF??? Part of the reason why I'm going is for the Octoberfest. I'd like to be able to drink and not have to worry about a 10 mile ride back to a pool of mudd.

I agree. I'm not too happy about this. Not that I'm mad at Hunter Mnt. The weather is not their fault. But I'm still disappointed.

I just called North Lake State park and they're full. The girl said it's not raining now but they did get about 6 inches of rain last night and there was some damage. Anybody know of any other places? I'm not ready to give up on this weekend just yet.

Updated Weather

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colors In The Catskills....updated news.

The Rally will go on as planned but the vendors are having a difficult time getting here today so please bear with us.

It's 3pm and most of the motorcycle vendors are on-site although it's still raining and set up is a slow go.

The BMW Test Drive rig has also arrived and will be here on Sunday as well.....that's right....2 days of test drives.

MAX will be running their dirt clinics and mountain rides as planned....just arrive and sign up at the test drive area. MAX said he will accommodate all who want to take a dirt clinic....WHAT A GUY!

Makeshift camping is available at Hunter Mountain! We will allow sleeping bags...commune style in our Learning Center or find yourself a grassy spot in the parking lots or on the western side of the base lodge and have at it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Camping is available at North Lake Campground, Rip Van Winkle in Saugerties, & Devils Tombstone. There are still some rooms available at local lodging establishments but assuredly they will fill in tonight.

There is also this post on ADVRIDER for those interested in a free place to camp. This guy's got a brother who has a field a mile from Hunter. Here's his quote and contact info list on ADVRIDER.

still lots of room in our field.. I'm gonna load up the bikes and head to Hunter... Call or text for directions.. 607 437 4946.

Nick the Barber went out with MAX and Rob Nye to scout some trails for the Barber ride...hope you all like them.

We'll see you this weekend!

Last edited:
Well we made it here, really no problems at all. The waterfalls on the way from the parkway are beyond spectacular that's worth the trip just to see them. Colors seem to be ahead of schedule from what I remember of last year. The sky's have cleared should be a great weekend, make sure you bring your camera!

i'll be leaving around 8:30 - 9am Sat morning. for the second straight year i will be taking my car. the water pump on my bike went and i have not gotten around to fixing it yet. 2 out of the 3 years the bike stayed home and i had to take the car, whats gonna happen next year, i trailer the bike the 2 hrs north to Hunter Mtn. oh the shame and humility of it all.

There are 3 Campgrounds in Saugerties which is about 25 minutes to Hunter if you take 23a up.

http://www.bluemountaincampground.com/

http://www.ripvanwinklecampgrounds.com/

http://www.koa.com/where/ny/32168/

Of course you can take this road up which is a seasonal paved road.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=NY-212+W%2FNY-32+N&daddr=Hunter,ny&hl=en&geocode=Fd4kggIdWD2X-w%3BFUMhhAId_oKT-ynZbBuKhFLciTGnhqIPnzboAg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=12&sll=42.080133,-74.069824&sspn=0.12486,0.308647&ie=UTF8&ll=42.080133,-74.069824&spn=0.12486,0.308647&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=NY-212+W%2FNY-32+N&daddr=Hunter,ny&hl=en&geocode=Fd4kggIdWD2X-w%3BFUMhhAId_oKT-ynZbBuKhFLciTGnhqIPnzboAg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=12&sll=42.080133,-74.069824&sspn=0.12486,0.308647&ie=UTF8&ll=42.080133,-74.069824&spn=0.12486,0.308647" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Final accounting/Color in the Catskills

Phone message from Hunter Mountain Resorts-Camping cancelled. $30.00 rebate.OK book a room for Saturday nite $175.Taking the novice rider course,riding to the top of Hunter Mountain and having dinner with my two great friends Rob,Pete and all------------------PRICELESS!

I really tried to attend this year. Left Boca Raton, FL. last Saturday and only got as far as the Cheroholla skyway. We rode most of the way in the rain and even had to layover in Madison, Ga. for a day because of the downpour.
When I realized I would be following the storm North, my wife and I decided to enjoy the Georgia Mountains as a consolation prize.
Next year for sure..

gnmiller,

You really didn't miss much. Besides the mountain canceling camping for no good reason since Saturday and Sunday was perfect there wasn't as many vendors as last year. Also no bands Saturday night at the lodge and they closed the bar early. I had a great time Fri and Saturday last year and of part of it was due to the socializing in the evening and making new friends. The other part of course was the wonderful riding.

Rob

My pictures can be seen here. Thanks Friedle for making the best of what you had to work with. You still can't beat free camping and great riding. I'm sure you got a lot of complaints, but i think it was great. I hope this event is a go for next year. Take a look at the pics and you'll see why the initial reaction was to cancel the camping. Imagine running the rally and you wake up Friday morning to your camping and vendor area looking like this. Nice job Mike for keeping this together.

Brian

http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/showthread.php?t=1751

My pictures can be seen here. Thanks Friedle for making the best of what you had to work with. You still can't beat free camping and great riding. I'm sure you got a lot of complaints, but i think it was great. I hope this event is a go for next year. Take a look at the pics and you'll see why the initial reaction was to cancel the camping. Imagine running the rally and you wake up Friday morning to your camping and vendor area looking like this. Nice job Mike for keeping this together.

Brian

http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/showthread.php?t=1751

Great riding yes and I stopped by the MOA table and got the skinny about what happened. Where was this free camping? I saw tents near the parking lot but I was told there was no camping this year so I sprung for a room in the Kaatskill Club. Luckily the little lady was due for a nice weekend getaway so I was able to justify it.

Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gorgeous. Sure Friday turned out to be an adventure, but it was exactly that. There was plenty of riding, camping, bonfires, drinking and new friends to be had.

Free camping was pretty much anywhere you could find it. People had tents all around the building at the left edge of the parking lot. We also had a bonfire behind that building on Friday and Saturday nights.

Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gorgeous. Sure Friday turned out to be an adventure, but it was exactly that. There was plenty of riding, camping, bonfires, drinking and new friends to be had.

Apparently there was a secret campsite somewhere lol.

Back