• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Russell Day-Long Break-in Period?

Theo

Touring Panpsychist
I will be sending out my seats this Saturday for RCP to do their magic and should get them back around mid-September. Carol and I are planning a leaf-peeping trip into northern VT in the first week of Oct. With about two weeks between receipt of the seats and our trip, how broken-in will they get?

I ride about 10 miles per weekday commute and, of course, considerably more on the weekends. What has been your RDL break-in experience?

TIA

Russell states 500 to 1000 miles for full break-in, but, honestly, our seats were comfortable from the first mile. We have about 100 miles on them now and we can't imagine them being more comfortable than they already are! :)

Don't forget to use Fed-Ex Ground. I just shipped mine from Fort Lauderdale and it was about $20 including $700 insurance. Way less than UPS. Arrived in five working days.

Like Steve, mine was comfy from day one. I rode 830 the first day, and my bum was not something I noticed.

Like Steve, mine was comfy from day one. I rode 830 the first day, and my bum was not something I noticed.

So, Pete -- we may be in your general area on our trip. I'll be looking for your yellow sidecar and happy pups! IIRC, the first week in Oct is about right for leaves in your area or is it a bit late?

So, Pete -- we may be in your general area on our trip. I'll be looking for your yellow sidecar and happy pups! IIRC, the first week in Oct is about right for leaves in your area or is it a bit late?

Well, depending on which expert you listen to...:violin

Remember that peak foliage is fleeting. It generally starts high and in the north, and creeps down and to the south. Of course a stiff breeze can end it in a flash.

Make reservations now! And check in with me as the date draws near. I'll be riding a large loop keeping tabs on the leaves and could probably recommend some colorful routes.

Pete

I did a 250 mile ride in appointment. It was more comfortable than my stock seat from the first mile. It's only gotten better.

Rdl

I got my Russell Day Long in March and like others here have posted it was comfy from the start. I've probably put about 4,000 miles on mine so far this season and I'm just getting started. I noticed that it seemed to settle in very nicely around 1,000 miles or so, but again it was comfortable from the start. They build them good at Russell Day Long. Mine is going to the Finger Lakes Rally in a couple of weeks and from there to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't wait. Good luck with your seats, I'm sure you'll enjoy them very much. Don

Thank you, everyone!

Looks like we'll plan to take off on the trip without worrying about the break-in. Since I have naturally abundant cushioning anyway :)blush), I'm thinking that the seat will feel pretty good from the get-go. In fact, I can actually tolerate the stock low seat for about 1.5 hours before the real discomfort sets in, so I'm sure the RDL will feel like a dream. Carol will be thrilled.

Again, thanks! :bow

Last edited:
Do people use covers with their seats? I'm looking at the half moon pattern which says it's nearly waterproof. I store my bike inside.

Do people use covers with their seats?...{snip}

That's why I went with the half-moon, too. However, I have a half-cover for the bike that stows in a fairly small space and is very easy to put on. That being said, it won't work if I'm riding without a pillion and it starts raining. Thought about using one of those golf bag "shower caps" instead of paying $40 for the Russell ones.

My RDL has been exposed to sun, rain, slush and snow for about 15k miles so far this year. I don't bother with covers.

Cover?

I have the half-moon design on my Russell and the only cover I use is the touring cover that I use when I put her to bed at night when I'm out on the road. I don't use a cover other than that and it's been fine. Save your money.

About one full nanosecond is all it takes for break-in. Compared to the stock seat, it will feel perfect from the point of first contact. Mine did.

Back